I bought a pony! Meet Lola

I used to wrap my reins in vet wrap for my chewer. It was easy enough to replace, but now I have a set of rope reins I use for chewers. I sprayed some no chew spray and that seems to deter them.

1 Like

Vet wrap! I have a lot of it, and that will at least protect the leather.

It’s kind of interesting… my old mare loved a bit or hackamore with a little poll pressure. Before my hand got messed up, I was riding her with double reins in a short shanked Pelham, and she loved it. Then eventually the Little S hackamore once we were 90% trail riding. My then-trainer, when I had the Pelham, told me that in her experience, a lot of Morgans just go better in a setup that has leverage. She had worked starting Morgans for a breeder for several years long ago. Lola seems to be the same.

2 Likes

Another solution is mixing hot sauce (it doesn’t take much) in with some neatsfoot or other liquid leather treatment and rubbing it into the leather.

I used this on a gelding I used to have who would mouth my leather lead shank. Worked quickly and didn’t hurt the leather—I cleaned it off quickly after he had an object lesson or two.

2 Likes

I’ve done this and it worked like a charm!

1 Like

Lola is getting bored with this walking rehab business. However, vet wrap on the hackamore reins protects them very well. And she loves that hackamore, and it’s nice, from a rider perspective, to not have to listen to her chomping on the bit.

Ah well. I’m probably going to be selling her when she’s healed anyway. Life isn’t great right now, due to some stupid choices on my part.

(And if she doesn’t heal, her sire’s owner is well connected in the New England Morgan world, and can help me find good field board for her.)

9 Likes

Awww I am sorry to hear that life is complicated and that you may sell. Not that selling her is a bad choice (I think something MADE on the trails and solid would be great for you!), but it stinks when the stars don’t align as we’d hoped.

I hope things come around for you soon and you get back out on the trails again!

5 Likes

The great news is that she is valuable and you will do right by her.

The next one, you watch all the things being done and then you do all the things yourself. Take no one’s word for it and pretend the horse is ugly as a mud fence while you’re at it. :wink:

We once tried a super flashy gelding for DH. he was foot perfect in company. Then DH asked if he could lead said gelding up the road a bit to a nice patch of green grass. The seller said sure. DH, who is not a “horseman” but a guy who rides pretty well and is decent with horses, struggled to safely lead this horse away from the barn and his safe spaces alone. I mean they got it done, but that gelding was not able to do what he needed to be able to do without blinking.

11 Likes

We walk, and walk, and walk…

Actually, I really enjoy “just walking” horses, under saddle or in hand.

She’s doing well and hopefully healing. I just do not think she is the right horse for me. But wondering if the right horse even exists.

Had a big spook yesterday - I did not come off. She’s so tiny and turns on a dime! But today’s ride was fine. Please note the purple vet wrap on the reins!

11 Likes

Yes, the right horse exists, but it won’t be a Ferrari type if you love the feel of riding a horse that is that kind of responsive.
I will be more the pulling Mac pickup ride, you will have to work to teach and keep such horse light.
That horse will keep you safe.
All along our life and horse adventures, we need to keep changing what we can’t help and be happy with what we can get. :innocent:

9 Likes

This is what I mean, though. I rode some “heavier” horses needing a lot of push over the summer, and hated it.

1 Like

One of our ranch people was decades ago a world champion cutter.
Working cattle preferred the better trained light cutting feel on a horse.
With that came the reality that such horses do get down and dance with the cattle, a bit unsettling when it happens out in the pasture and horse is cutting a wayward critter trying to run off, horse jumping back and forth over bushes and around cacti.

As said person was now old and weak and had some health problems, that kind of horse was not really safe any more.
Once penning some cattle the horse was working cattle and didn’t quite mind the rider’s request not really wanting to go there, horse did it’s thing and turned a couple times almost leaving the rider in the air.
After that rider was riding a super nice and quiet horse, nicely trained but didn’t have that super light feel a true bred for cutting horse can have and, like you, grumbled.

I bet if you keep looking, you may just find a horse that is as light as you want and, being careful not to put horse where it can show it’s athletic moves, like where it may shy, stay safe.

Some times, we may think we want something and other comes along that changes our mind.
Some times, if you really fall in love with a horse, is the one that puts a smile on your face and brightens your day, it may not matter how it rides.
Keep looking with an open mind.

1 Like

A horse doesn’t have to be dull and slow off the leg to be quiet and reliable. It just needs to be good-minded and well-trained. My little Half Arab mare is the epitome of “born broke”. If something startles her, she “grabs ground” and snorts, takes a minute to assess the situation, and then wants to investigate whether this new object is edible. She’s been this way since she was a foal. She’s very obedient and responsive under saddle but not into exerting more effort than she’s asked for. That’s the kind of ride you need.

You don’t even have to sacrifice “pretty” to get it, if you don’t want to. :wink: It just might take longer to find.

19 Likes

Agreed. And pointing out that plenty of people accidentally train their horses to be dull and brick-sided - riding other people’s horses doesn’t mean if you bought a safe type it would have that feel forever. You can teach a prompt, quiet response to the aids!

IIWM, a trail proven and confident horse would be my priority. It’s easier to install flatwork buttons on that kind of horse than to teach a more flighty and arena bound creature how to trail ride. Especially without regular help from folks out there riding the trails with steady eddies. You will pay more for the pretty version, but you have to stare at it in the pasture so you might as well find something cute :laughing:

Either way, I hope Lola heals well and stays safe for you in the meantime. She’s adorable and seems like a sweet project for someone if you do choose to sell her, which is such a comfort knowing she will be in good hand either way!

11 Likes

You can find a forward thinking, “been there, done that” type with more mileage on it. I always beg people to look at horses that are at least 12 years old that are doing now what they want to do.

9 Likes

Now doing what I want it to would be top priority. But realistically, I won’t be buying another horse any time soon, or possibly ever.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that, but completely understand. Our hobby is so difficult, on so many levels.

6 Likes

There is a happy medium out there. Might take awhile to find but it’s doable. Would you consider looking outside the Morgan breed (if you decide to look again)?

3 Likes

Also you may lease or take lessons for a while, if you still want to be involved with horses.
Or help in a handicapped program, they always want volunteers.
May surprise yourself what all you like that is out there other than your own horse.

6 Likes

This is definitely the hardest time of year to have a green horse, especially one with an injury. I know my own boy has been higher than a kite and the footing (no indoor) has kept me from doing much with him. I hope that as Lola heals (and matures) she will settle down more.

3 Likes

I actually was doing some of these things before buying Lola. A part-lease might be feasible.

2 Likes