Unlimited access >

"I don't think it's rocket science," says Dr. Stephen Jackson. "

I did consider that, but since there was no difference in his movement before he was on the supplement and before we found out about his hocks, and now, I have to believe that they weren’t effective, or at the least that he didn’t really need it. And if there was anything that helped, i agree, there would be no way to know what actually helped (which was another problem I had with them wanting horses immediately on everything). It will be interesting to see if he starts getting stiff, then trying ONE thing at a time to see if something helps. It wasn’t the way I would have liked to do it, and I probably should have stood up for myself a bit more, but as the more vocal one had been a huge source of drama in the past, and I knew from looking at everything in the supplements that it wouldn’t HURT him to be on it and best case it might actually obviously help in some way, I opted to just go along with it.

But I do have to say, I never saw the things they claimed to see. Like, “the coat is so much shinier”, “his feet look so much better”, etc. But again, I’m from a more scientific background so I tend to look for things to NOT work than for them to work. I’m not going to say, “I think his coat might possibly look a little shinier so it must be one of the several supplements I have him on”, when there are so many factors such as going from being on 24/7 turnout to having a stall in an insulated barn which made his coat a bit sleeker so it didn’t hold as much dirt, getting groomed more often, being on a more balanced diet in general (before the supplements), better hoof care, etc. I think that’s another hard thing about supplementing, you could see a difference but there could be several variables that could all be contributing. Not to mention the lack of regulation in supplements but that is a WHOLE other can of worms!

1 Like

@RainWeasley - probably the cheapest and most effective thing you can do, if he becomes symptomatic again, is to get your vet involved and put him on an injectible. If it’s going to work, you will know very quickly.

2 Likes