Unlimited access >

I don't understand "retirement" farms...

I’m not in a position to need this right now, so this is purely a knowledge seeking endeavor…

I don’t get “retirement farms”.

I see it here a lot…people asking for references for a retirement farm. What is this about? Please forgive me because I just don’t know any better.

The way I was raised, once you have a horse, it’s your responsibility for life if you keep them past a certain age. By that I mean that if you board, you board your oldie but goodie forever and ever in whatever situation he/she is comfortable in. I don’t really get the retirement board thing. It seems to me like some people want to dump the “no longer useful” horse somewhere.

Help me understand the concept.

Maybe I should’ve known sooner,…but when my old guy–who had given me 25 years of service–got old, I simply paid extra if extra was needed and kept him with me til his last day.

ETA: I clarified on page two…but what I mean by “I don’t understand” is that I don’t understand how people can send their horse far away and not see it. I get the concept of retirement farms, and would like to own one some day–what I am not understanding so much is how people work it out in their minds and hearts to have their oldies far away and not see them.

well, the way I see it, it’s the place where they get more turnout with like horses. Depending on the owner’s location it might not be possible to do so near by. Thus the references. It is tough to keep up with a horse whom you don’t see every day, so a good BO is essential, but that does not limit itself to retirement farms. (BTW having a horse past 15ish was a rarity around where I grew up, limited space and means…much has changed, but the one thing still holds true: be on top og your horse’s care)

I haven’t been in this situation yet <knock wood>, but a couple of my friends have placed their retired horses down in Tubac, AZ, where they can be turned out in pasture as opposed to being kept in stalls up here in Phoenix with limited turnout and no grass. It makes sense to me.

I don’t see it as “dumping” their “no longer useful” horses - they are just finding a better place for them to live out their lives. Sort of like retiring to Florida, I guess :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Retirement facilities specialize in “oldies” or horses with career ending injuries. They have the staff on site to make sure the horses get their meds/supps/blankets, etc. and staff on site 24/7 in case anything happens. Sure, any boarding barn can do that or say they will do that, but many are busy and simply don’t have the time to give the extra.
Retirement farms also tend to be quieter and more peaceful than a busy barn - hence “retirement”.
I would love to retire my guy to a nice retirement facility when he is done working. It wouldn’t mean I loved him any less or would stop seeing him, but I would know he is well taken care of in his later years.
I think those looking for good retirement facilities are awesome owners.

That is an interesting question, BuddyRoo. I would imagine there are all kinds of scenarios out there. But here’s how it works for me.

From my end, I’m a “retirement farm” only because I am a private barn, and I don’t want every Tom Dick or Harry coming here and riding. And until recently I didn’t have a ring, so I wasn’t really set up to board someone’s horse who wanted a complete set up with ring, lessons etc.

People retire their horses here from high end, lesson/training/showing barns. Once they are no longer riding their horse, they don’t need the lessons/training/showing. So they go from paying $1000+ a month to paying me $425/month. That way, they can afford to keep their old guys until the very end.

So to me “retirement farm” doesn’t mean dumping them somewhere; it means a different kind of care . . . my horses are out more, but they don’t get clipped, or their manes pulled, I don’t wash and waterproof blankets (I expect the owners to do that) – in other words, I’m not quite as full service as those more expensive barns. However, should the horse need care – for an abcess for example, I soak/wrap etc. The horse’s comfort is not compromised. (I did have a boarder who’s horse ended up needing way more care than I could provide, and in that case I told the owners they needed to find a barn with a staff that could give their horse what he needed).

Most of my owners visit their horse every week or so. And because they pay less, a couple of them have other, younger horses that they ride, and board at the more expensive barns.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say!

I have an 18 year old and a 30 year old on “retirement” board. They are in 14x14 stalls. Are out all day on pasture, are blanketed for turnout in the winter, see the blacksmith every 6 weeks and are dewormed regulary. They are delightfully happy and I couldn’t be more thrilled with their care. The board is beyond reasonable and I feel I have provided them with safe haven until their days are done. I owed them that.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

A retirement farm almost always requires the owner to pay board. This isn’t sending the horse off and being relieved of responsibility.

My sister’s horse is as a retirement farm due to lameness. He can’t be used as a riding horse anymore, but he is perfectly happy as a pasture puff. A retirement farm typically means minimal care - pull the shoes, chuck the horse in the pasture. They are on 24/7 turn-out and get hay and grass, but typically little to no grain and minimal care, just the basics to keep the horse healthy.

The concept is that there is no reason to pay $700 a month to keep the horse at a posh riding facility when he can’t be ridden. The retired horse can be just as happy and healthy at a retirement farm for $200 a month.

1 Like

Check out my favorite retirement facility:
http://www.retiredhorses.com/horse-boarding-philosophy.html

They have a lot of interesting info and you can keep track of their day-to-day in their blog.

We have a mid-price-range barn in Middle TN and one of our boarders inquired to Paradigm about retiring her horse there- when she realized their board was more expensive, she kept him with us! So now, retirement farms are not “dumping”- just a nicer lifestyle for your old guys!

I think retirement farms are a great idea.

Say you’re paying $500 a month for a barn with great riding facilities, a phenomenal trainer, and good care for the average horse, but nothing extra for a special needs horse.

For less than that, you can (probably) get nice grass pastures, senior feed, daily maintenance care, and a more relaxed lifestyle. A retired horse doesn’t need indoor arenas, trail access, jumps, cross country course, trainer, etc. All the stuff that adds $$ to a board fee for a riding horse is just fluff once the horse’s working life is over.

You can ditch all that and spend your money where it will do more good for your situation.

[ETA: Just to clarify, I live in the midwest and board is cheap here. :lol:]

Some people even…

Send their horses south out of the cold winter, where either no blanket would be required or a much lighter one than the horse has normally had. As a horse ages, the cold has a lot more effect on them, just like people.

I have my farmette so I can “retire” my competition horses at my own house, under my care, so they can live out their lives in comfort, away from the 12 x 12 and tiny paddock so common to horse life in our area.

As I see it, many people cannot afford to buy property to keep their horses on as they age, so they find a private barn or retirement farm to give their former competition (or trail riding buddies) a place to be until death do them part. It is a responsible act for those who don’t own land. I board a “city dweller’s” 24 year old, very lame, but quite healthy and happy gelding. He gets pasture turnout, loving care and attention, without the stress of a busy boarding barn, and she pays me less than that barn would cost. We’re both happy.

Retirement board will hopefully become more popular as people start to think long-term for their horses.

First of all thank you epona for the recommendation. :slight_smile:

As for the above quote I just had to respond to it. I run a retirement farm, actually a very well known one. These horses are not ‘chucked out to pasture with minimal care.’ They are fed twice a day, blanketed as needed, see the farrier every six weeks, are groomed regularly, everyone is having their annual dental floats in the next couple of week, etc. And although I am biased everyone who has seen our farm agrees with me that they live in a spectacular setting that is horse heaven.

Our retirees have had job descriptions ranging from international competitor to trail horse. They all have owners that love them a lot and weren’t looking to dump their horses. We have horses retired with us from 15 states, including both coasts, and Canada. You can read my blog which is updated regularly (link in signature below) to learn about the residents and learn about what happens on a retirement farm on a daily basis. At this retirement farm it happens to be a lot of hands-on, daily care. Definitely not being turned out on the back 40 with minimal care.

1 Like

LOL - I have two retirees on my FL farm, so I guess they did come to FL to retire!

I’ve always looked as a retirement home for horses as just that. They’re retired. They get all the perks of being a horse (quality care & lots of turnout) without having to work. They’re paid their dues and are on permanent vacation. It sounds good to me. :wink: Once I get my kids graduated and I get out of Massachusetts, I can’t wait to buy some land down south and start my own retirement farm, heck I’ll have a few of my own oldies to start with. I love the older guys & gals.

Buddyroo, you also have to realize that a busy show barn/lesson barn has a different focus, and although 24/7 turnout seems like no work, in reality, when all the othe horses come into stalls daily and you interact closely with them, schlepping out to the retirees field is actually not convenient/easy. And, sometimes easy to overlook. Only because the barn is focused on something else. I would want my retiree to be in a facility where he/his care was the specialty of the operation, not an inconvenience.

My retiree gets the same level of care at the retirement facility as he did at the full service show barn. The only difference is that where the old barn had high overhead costs, such as maintaining the rings and facility, the retirement barn does not - and the cost reduction is passed on to me in the board. He wouldn’t be at this barn if I didn’t feel that the standard of care was up to par.

Buddy Roo, I am of the same mind as you, when I get a horse it’s for life. Three of my 4 horses are of the same age, Trixi is younger by 4 years. When I bought them, it was with the condition that I was their last stop and as the years go by I make adjustments with supplements, grain or whatever is needed to ensure their continual good health and happiness.

In the light of recent events and articles about “retirement farms” if you will, I was disgusted with some of the remarks about said horses. I think that many horses truly are happy once they hit the retirement age that we, as their owners, feel they have richly deserve, let them be horses out in the field. It doesn’t mean we are abusing them by whatever some wackadoo feels we are, they don’t know what that horse did for a living or what ribbons that horse won for its owner, only we know that.

I run a retirement / long term lay up barn. It most definitely does not mean MINIMAL CARE. These horses are cared for just like they would be in any top notch show barn. I do not automatically pull shoes, throw horses out to pasture, and that’s it. These horses continue to get regular farrier care every 4-6 weeks, have their own private, matted, fan cooled stalls, get groomed 4-5 times a week, washed regularly, tails conditioned, clipped as needed. They do have lots and lots of turnout as weather, ground conditions, and biting bugs permit. My pastures/paddocks are large and are fenced so that a horse with limited vision / mobility won’t get caught in a corner and get hurt. Water is spaced throughout the pasture so that a dominant horse can’t be a bully. The difference between a “retirement” farm and a regular boarding barn is that the staff should have knowledge of geriatric horses, their diets are different, their metabolism is different, their reactions to drugs is different, immunizations and worming schedules need to be tailored, etc. Many don’t have the range of motion and need assistance for simple things like farrier work. I have access to professionals that have geriatric experience which can make a difference when a senior horse gets sick. While I do have a couple of riding horses for the family the majority of the horses stay on the farm so there is not a lot of incoming/outgoing traffic. Herds stay stable. It is most certainly not being dumped when you choose to place your older horse in a retirement barn. I can honestly say that I haven’t had one client who has done this without a lot of thinking. It’s hard.

One thing that makes it more feasible to place your horse in a retirement facility than a boarding situation is money. Most retirement farms are able to operate at a lower cost since there isnt’ the same wear and tear on the facility – not as much in and out in the tack room, many don’t maintain a riding arena.

However be extremely careful about any retirement farm asking you to sign over ownership of your horse. Many of these facilities did do that in the past but with recent economic times they’ve found that they can’t provide for the horses in their care and sadly many horses have had to be rescued. Maintain ownership. Ask for accountability. I offer my clients the choice of having the vet doing a wellness check a couple times a year and sending them the report without my ever seeing it. I also do monthly pictures and most of my clients do come and visit their horses periodically.

1 Like

I think retirement farms are a great idea. They seem to be places that cater to non-working horses, with full care, but without amenities like riding facilities.

Boarding near urban areas can be super expensive, so it helps save money to send a horse to retire in a more rural area. I think if I sent my horse to a retirement facility tomorrow- the likes of which I have seen advertised here- she’d be in heaven.

I think people ask for referenences as they want to be sure it is not viewed as a dumping ground for retirees.

I have retirees here. I am not specifically a retirement farm, but I have a lot of experience with OLD horses and their special needs.

People who call and ask to board here are usually from in closer to Chicago where board can be very expensive. At $250 which includes Senior feed, beet pulp as needed, lots of turn out, full care and a fussbudget caretaker it makes keeping an older horse more affordable for some owners. It lessens the impact on families and allows them to even get a usable horse and keep it close to home. They never have to worry here “Dobbin” will be very loved as he relaxes here - if I have an opening that is.

If I could, IF I had many more acres I would have just retirees. I adore them! They are wise and wonderful, loving and gentle. I see their glorious past in their eyes and the love their owners showered over them in their lifetime shines through. They are amazing! If it means special wraps, meds, feed, supplements, blankets or what ever it is no problem It is my pleasure!

You can’t get that in a suburban mega barn - it’s just not possible.

1 Like