Unlimited access >

I forgot the damn hoof pick

Yes I shoot olympic recurve. The bow consists of of the riser; the part you hold, and 2 limbs which attach to the riser. Limbs have varied draw weight and length specs and range from $100 dollars to $1000. Add to that my riser is one which only accepts limbs from a specific maker. I got distracted while packing my travel case and completely missed that they were still inside my day to day backpack carry case. It was the start of what has been a really poor performance year. I am ready for the season to be over.

Thank you faking the time to explain this. Mounted archery is something I’m interested in. Sorry about your disappointing season. Happens to the best.

1 Like

Your pony is precious! If it makes you feel any better, I’ve also forgotten about missed supplies in my spares kit (isn’t that the point of the SPARES kit after all?!).

ETA: I have a very basic single-horse BP trailer with nowhere to store anything. So I added a plastic bin to the inside above the man door as well as a trailer tongue box (mounted to the frame). The outer box is perfect for the trailer-aid, wheel wrenches, screwdriver kit, and everything to do with the vehicle. The inside bin I use for a spare brush, gloves, extra hoofpick, number holder, crosstie, etc. so I never need to remember to transfer that stuff from my grooming tote - it’s just always there.

3 Likes

mounted archery uses a different type bow, usually what is referred to as a horse bow, Mongolian bow or Eastern bow. I dont have a lot of practical experience with them but we do have a member here at COTH that competes. They require a different shooting technique than my bow and have different features. Knowing how to shoot any bow will help when it comes to learning horse archery techniques, Im sure

1 Like

@Foxglove competes
This is her & her Archery horse - William Tell :blush: -at a meet last Summer:

5 Likes

OP, can I hand you a screwdriver instead?

[Please excuse this lame attempt at a humorous reference to another thread on this board. Dude packed a screwdriver for anything needed re horseshoes.]

4 Likes

:raised_hand:

Bridle, though, not girth.

Barn peeps noticed the bridle hanging in its place in the barn tack room about 20 minutes after I left and tried to figure out if it had been forgotten. And if so, how this was going to work, since they were fairly certain that was my only one (correct).

After arriving, opening the trailer tack room door, realizing and having a panic attack … A lovely friend let me borrow hers – her only one – we traded the bridle back and forth in the warm-up ring. Fortunately a similar fit & bit to mine. Friend is an angelic saint who deserves every good thing in life. :grin:

A 58 ??? Was that a horse or a hippogriff you were riding ??? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ha!! I’m mostly thinking about starting on the lunge line riding with no hands #remedial

and getting a horse that will run in a straight line. @Foxglove must have abs of iron Huge admiration .

Saw a video on You Tube of little kids at riding school in France (?) on tiny little ponies trotting and shooting . It was so stinking cute.

2 Likes

:laughing: Ginormous TWH.
My vet called him The Belgian Walking Horse :roll_eyes:
All 5’4" of me riding him (with that borrowed girth)

4 Likes

That’s a lot of horse! :grin:

He was 17’3h of Sweet.
Gelded at 8 - with a colt registered on TWHBEA - I bought him as a 10yo.
He was hardwired to gait, never saw him trot, even in pasture.
Still miss him :smirk:

2 Likes

This reminds me of a funny story of my husband showing his mom’s stallion at the Canadian Carriage Classic almost 30 years ago now. He bought a new spares kit and knew it did not come equipped. In his turnout class, the judge opened his spares kit stating that it was empty. My husband looked at him and said “Oh my gosh!! Someone came and stole everything from it!!”. We still joke about it to this day.

OP - your pony is too cute! We have shown some B’s for many years as well. The stallion my husband drove was an imported Sec B and we showed a pair of his son’s. We still have one still and he’s 26 this year and looking great!

1 Like

@hoopoe --I had a stroke of luck with William Tell --bought him at a horse action (Ranch Horse -while not upscale, certainly no rescue horses there) --a month later I took him and Steady Eddy to my first Mounted Archery Clinic --never tried it before although I’d been an archer in college 50 years before --and of course I rode --mostly fox hunting. Steady Eddy was dismissed from the archery clinic when he clearly disliked the clinician (tried to bite him, ok, did bite him)–I begged to try William Tell whom I’d brought only to see how he’d react in a clinic environment --permission granted. From the first moment on William Tell --he rocked the house —perfect canter without contact --no stopping --no shifting fast to slow, just cantered and cantered —clinician loved him and I was hooked on mounted archery --over the next few months, I tracked down all of WT previous owners back to his breeder --turns out his owner before my did cutting/sorting AND Mounted SHOOTING off WT. So of course a little bow wasn’t going to bother him. Anyway --we have fun. @2DogsFarm knows the whole story –

7 Likes

My horse would go anywhere for a molasses cookie (Magnificus Equus) He is convinced the world as we know it will end if there are no more cookies.

Mine will join his cause immediately.

If I can ever stop annually breaking myself I really would like to try mounted archery.

My 3 are Dollar Tree gingersnap Hos.
I know the cashier wonders about the OldLady buying 3 bags at a time, every couple weeks :roll_eyes:

They’re also fans of TSC DuMor treats - molasses flavor.
So enlist them in the @2tempe Army :smirk:

1 Like

Dollar store gingersnaps are amazingly popular. One mare in my old barn would do anything. I dont think they really mind if they go stale. Problem, though, is I am weak for cookies and would probably move the inventory along.

2 Likes

@Annie10 --where’s your location? Might be able to hook you up to try it —remember all Mounted Archers started shooting standing still, then continued shooting off a horse that was standing still --and then at a walk and so on. Never any pressure to go faster than you choose.