Unlimited access >

I found a place!

Welp, I managed to find a place in Texas to start my driving adventure. Already reached out the them and I’ll start in January, after the holidays settle down and we have things like a house and furniture and stuff all sorted out.

It was surprisingly difficult to find a place, and this wasn’t my first pick, but it looks professional enough. Almost too professional? If that is a thing? I’m a bit of an introvert and I prefer a smaller, cozier kind of operation. I also made contact with one of the ladies who helps manage the local driving club. She reached out to me when I posted on the area facebook page and seemed like a lovely person. Everything seems to be going well so far. Now for the hard part… waiting.

My goal is to not only learn to drive, but learn how to start a driving horse. It’s a big ask for 2 years, but if I do move back to Hawaii when I retire I am going to need to be pretty self sufficient, and I really want to learn “how to fish” not just be given a fish. I am thinking about starting a pony hunt in the late spring, early summer. Probably right around the time when I know enough for the Dunning Kruger effect to be in full force.

:applause: Congrats on the contacts, both the training facility & Club.
If you find the facility doesn’t give you what you want, the Club should be a great resource.

IME, a strong riding background translates well to Driving.
Once you realize your only Aids are hands & voice :cool:

My mini was greenbroke to drive as a 2-1/2yo, came back to me at just-turned 3 & I have had no formal training since then.
Using my longtime riding experience has given me a reliable little driving partner, coming into his own at 5yo.
He is steady on trails, LOVES Cones & we’ve dabbled with Marathon obstacles.
His Driven Dressage has improved too - he is now framing up better.
I hope to enlist my Dressage trainer to help me with this part of our CDE aspirations.

I belong to two Driving Clubs.
One is more social, trail drives are the usual GTG.
The other is more competitive - hosting ADS-rated CT & CDE.

1 Like

Congratulations on being able to hook up to a good trainer~Hope the experience is positive and good! I just got my 2yo back from ‘ground school’ at a pro facility. He now has excellent ground manners and the beginnings of ground driving. I will continue him on ground driving and proceed on my own unless i hit a snag. If so, he’ll go to a pro. I have experience driving, but only on horses i have sent to trainers. This time, with this new guy (Standardbred/pacer) i intend on doing it myself. There is just SOOOoooo much difference between starting your own and getting one back and having to convert them to your ways. He’s a very solid individual and though he’s my youngest horse (i have 10) is is for sure the most unflappable. That, and that he’s a pacer, makes him a good candidate!~

75584995_679473439213200_8908818690909143040_n.jpg

Congrats OP!! Hope you love it and have a blast!

I’m also a rider turned driver (though I still ride quite a bit) and it really does translate and helped a lot with my driving.

Keep us posted :slight_smile:

Mind sharing where you found instruction? I’m in north Central Texas and although I’ve got someone now, always like
to know what else is around. Thanks!

Sorry, I didn’t see this until just now. It’s been a busy month, moving across the world and all. I am training with Noah Tillman-Young, he is about 20 minutes South East of San Antonio.

Updates on my training so far! I’ve had a couple of lessons, the first two were most focused on tacking up and putting to. I think another lesson or two and I’ll be pretty solid on harnessing up and adjusting the harness and putting to safely and properly. There is a lot more to it than throwing a saddle on and making sure it’s properly placed and snug. Traces and shaft length/positioning and where does the breeching sit and how snug should the holdbacks be and hook up in a precise order and make sure you bring the lines back on this step. It is just going to take a lot more repetition for it to become second nature.

I like the place I am learning from well enough, nice well trained and well cared for horses with a professional atmosphere. I did kind of get set loose on my last lesson, with a well trained horse in a confined area. Was my first time driving alone and I worked on steering at the walk, (with a bit of trot thrown in because apparently, when you turn towards home on this particular horse he gets a bit of pep in his step, easily contained pep, but pep none the less.) The actual driving part felt pretty easy, just like riding, without my leg aids. Trainer says he’ll set me loose in the big field soon. Should be fun.

There is a navigator clinic in Houston weekend after next. Husband and I are going to make an overnight trip of it (he found something to do in the city related to his hobby.) There is another clinic in March in Houston that I’m thinking about going to, but I don’t know. I don’t have my own horse and I don’t know how much use it will be. I may just audit it. It’s with Louise Fox. What do you say COTH? Go and audit if nothing else?

Now, I met a woman on Facebook when I was originally looking into driving in Texas and she’s very active in the community, she has been very helpful in answering questions and encouraging me to attend events. She’s offered to let me drive her mini’s when I get a few more drives under my belt, to get a feel for a smaller horse. (Trainer only has full size horses.) I made the mistake (or not) of mentioning that I thinking of eventually looking for a large mini small pony. Well it just so happens that she heard of a 14 year old 10hh gelding currently owned by a vet who is looking for a new home. He’s well trained, and spent some time giving lessons to beginner drivers. He’s only an hour or so away. She gave me the owner’s contact info but I haven’t reached out yet. She even put me in touch with the person who trained this pony to drive, so I can ask about his background. He comes with his cart, but no harness, for a very reasonable price.

Oh, final thoughts, this gelding popping up had me researching costs of horsekeeping in Texas. Holy reverse sticker shock, what would have cost me $600 a month in Hawaii will cost less than $200 a month here. It’s so affordable!!!