Unlimited access >

I got a very nice letter from Horses in the Hood today...

…thanking us for our donation.

Here’s the text:

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Erin:

Your kind donation of $525 is greatly appreciated.

Your donation in honor of Kathy Havens will help HHLA continue to send children from South Los Angeles to horse camp. It will also enable us to continue our mission of creating a community-based horse center/riding school in a park-like setting in Watts. I’m sure that Kathy would have loved to see the expressions of joy and exhilaration on the faces of the children this donation will help get to camp!

Again, thank you for thinking of us at this time and please thank everyone who helped make the donation possible.

Horses in the Hood is a non-profit, charitable organization (Tax ID 96-4628198). Your donation is tax deductible.

Sincerely,
Kathy Kusner
Horses in the Hood: Los Angeles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(I’m sure it’s just a form letter, but it was very nice. )

The spirit that Cactuskate instilled in us through her participation in the forums will continue in the lives of children touched by horses.

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

Thanks for the link Glimmer!

I knew she was amazing, but not that amazing…WOW

Superheroes of the universe, unite!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

Horses in the Hood is such a great program! If I were ever to win the lottery I would give a nice large hunk of money to them…I think that’s really the type of thing that can change underpriveleged kids’ lives.

Everybody is somebody else’s weirdo.

I really applaud her for putting her time and energy into this.

I was touched by the level of detail they go to to ensure the kids get the most possible from their experience - they pay for film and developing, give the kids paddock boots, and send them home with a copy of ‘Happy Horsemanship.’ I figured that if I had a child, I would send her to horse camp, so as a childless individual, it seemed reasonable for me to help send others.

I appreciate HITH not just because it helps these kids - which it does, and which is important - but also because it helps our whole industry. The more ‘ordinary’ people who like and appreciate horses, the more likely it is that the rest of us ordinary folk will still have places to keep and enjoy our horses.

If you have not had the opportunity to meet Kathy Kusner, you should !!!

She is the cutest, most charming thing you have ever met… really symbolizes a top notch horsewoman as we get older…

I had her come to the barn a couple of years ago to do a clinic for my riders. I was a bit concerned because I had SOOOOOOOO many little tiny beginners. I asked her if that was offensive to her and she clapped her hands and said,“If they want help, I’ll give them help!”

She spent just as much time with the little folks who had only jumped 3-4 times as she did with our open horses and riders. She made them work, she made them laugh and she made them BETTER !!!

SOOOOOOOOO personable and friendly BUT don’t expect her to patronize ANYONE !!!

I cannot recommend her enough for that… clinics also help her with the $$$ necessary for her project so PLEASE don’t hesitate to call her for a clinic…

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I better call her first…

WOWSER! I had no idea it was THE Kathy Kusner! Cool!!

– sez she with the fabu Tipperary helmet!

THE Kathy Kusner does Horses in the Hood?? How cool is that!

Superheroes of the universe, unite!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

BTW, I should mention again that anyone who didn’t have a chance to send me a contribution for the “Cactuskate Fund” can make a donation to HITH in her memory, if they wish. (Or to the Yuma Hospice, which received the other half of our donation.)

You can find contact/donation info for HITH at http://www.horsesinthehood.org. If you need the contact info for the Hospice of Yuma, email me and I’ll dig it up for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:
THE Kathy Kusner does Horses in the Hood?? How cool is that! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually she is the founder of the organization, a link can be found off her home page: www.kathykusner.com

hey, does anyone know if there’s a riding program for inner city kids in DC???

Yes there is something. Maybe a couple organizations, it’s been a while. One is called FLOC and of course I can’t remember what the acronym is.

I know Meadowbrook Stables has helped organized some lessons before, through organizations like FLOC, but my memory is fading.

A great way to apply the donation.

…thanking us for our donation.

Here’s the text:

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Erin:

Your kind donation of $525 is greatly appreciated.

Your donation in honor of Kathy Havens will help HHLA continue to send children from South Los Angeles to horse camp. It will also enable us to continue our mission of creating a community-based horse center/riding school in a park-like setting in Watts. I’m sure that Kathy would have loved to see the expressions of joy and exhilaration on the faces of the children this donation will help get to camp!

Again, thank you for thinking of us at this time and please thank everyone who helped make the donation possible.

Horses in the Hood is a non-profit, charitable organization (Tax ID 96-4628198). Your donation is tax deductible.

Sincerely,
Kathy Kusner
Horses in the Hood: Los Angeles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(I’m sure it’s just a form letter, but it was very nice. )

What a cool organization!

There used to be a program in Brewster that brought abused and problem children up to work with horses and learn to ride. When I was growing up, we’d see the kids from the program at local schooling shows. I didn’t fully understand the implications at the time, but the children in that program must have been better off thanks to their time with the horses.

We have a facility in Brooklyn that performs a similar function to Horses in the Hood…I should look into what’s going on there and find out more of what they might need.

=^+^=

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.