Unlimited access >

I got an email back from Heacock trailers!

they look good. I love my steel 2 horse trailer. It hauls great. It’s got a walkthrough in the middle to a small dressing room in the front. The horses love it. I’d save my pennies and get one with a very small dressing room. you won’t regret it.

and looks like it has lots of features and is also more comfortably within Chanda’s price range.

But I also have no clue where Wasco is!!

“Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller
Still proud to be a UCLA Bruins football fan!

How about this trailer?In Paso Robles, CA

It’s a 2h, bumper pull 1990 Logan Malibu II for $3500.

The Used Trailers site is awesome, but they really need a search feature. And there are dealers listing trailers who are not listed on the dealer list.

edit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chanda:
HN73, is 1,900lbs light for a steel trailer? Does anyone know what is an average weight?

My two horse, tack area under the front feeder, 1978 Jackson weighed 2025 lbs, with the mats and center divider pulled out, and the spare tire taken off. (California license taxes are…or were… partly based on weight)

That is a very normal weight for a steel two horse trailer with no dressing room or tack area. Much lower weight on a steel trailer and I would be looking VERY carefully at how it was built… to get lighter, something supportive had to be left out…

?What is GVWR? Is that what the trailer can carry? It says 5,000lbs is that normal?

GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating -This is the maximum safe usage weight assigned by the manufacturer. (well, you get to remember this stuff with a CDL)

The weight of the trailer PLUS everything added to it… hay, tack, horses, spare tire…should not exceed 5000 lbs. In otherwords, combined weight of everything you add to this trailer must be no more than about 3000 lbs.

Trailer hitches also have weight ratings, and exceeding the weights will cause problems at some time. Your standard class three hitch with two inch ball is also a 5000 lb rating.

Chanda, I remember Heacocks from when I was in California. Sort of a Hartmann’s design rip off. you can do worse, and you can do better. Built pretty solid. ride decent. ramp springs wear out.

But the advertising on their site… that is no warmblood size, those are absolutely standard stall sizes. West Coast trailer manufacturer’s consider this big, because it is larger than the standard quarter horse size trailer, but this would look small back east. If you have a big horse, this is no bueno.

My Jackson is 7’2" INTERIOR height, with the same dimensions as that Heacocks in length and width. Too small for my 17 hand ap/tb cross. stall was wide enough, but head room was not enough to allow him to balance down the road without bopping his head, and his tail got rubbed raw oozing out the back over the tailgate!

Really depends on what you are going to be hauling…

In addition, looking at the current pics…I do not like the axle placement on some of the two horse models shown. Too far back. Not centered under the weight of the horses. Should ride pretty steady, most of the time, but would put too much tongue weight on the hitch, which will make steering a rather iffy proposition. In a short wheel base or light vehicle, you could loose control quite easily.

Heacock’s will be there when you are ready, so …I would not stop looking around just yet.

I think they look very nice.

I am surprised about the weight though. I have a two horse steel trailer that weighs 2500 lbs empty. Its really old though.

I say go for it.

oh, forgot to add… I paid about $6800 for the trailer… oversized with a ramp. It’s a Trail Magic.

I was warned off this particular brand by a guy who owns a repair shop. He says the axles are substandard (in quality and strength) and he’s worked on a number of them. Axles are important – this is not a component in which to make compromises. BTW, he went out of his way to single Heacock out as a brand to steer clear of.

If you want a nice straightforward two-horse steel trailer, Trails West makes a full-size two-horse slant-load bumper-pull stock trailer with dressing room that sells in the low $4000s. The divider is removable so if you’re hauling one large horse you take the divider out and he has lots of room. If you buy on credit, your payments are a whopping $90/month. A friend just bought one this way and is very happy with it.

I think it’s called the Trails West Avenger. I know The Trailer Mart in Bakersfield sells them and usually has a zillion models in stock; also Santa Ynez Trailers carries Trails West.

have you been to dreamhorse.com? There is a 1992 extra tall and wide CM bumper pull in Bakersfield CA for $2500. Don’t know if you have checked it out - there are no pictures, but it may be worth looking into. Good luck!

Behind every good woman lies a trail of men

Well, it sounds like the Heacock is a pretty good trailer and I really like it. I guess it is a little light and one person mentioned the axles but that is it. I seriously don’t care about the tack room, my horse will just have more room to move around without it (which is the most important thing). Could that contribute to the light weight?

Also all of the dividers come completely out in the Heacock so that we could carry grapes with it. They do have pads and rubber mats everywhere including the ramp which can hold about 4000lbs (perfect for a forklift and grape bins).

As for a used trailer, I am having a really hard time finding one. There are few older trailers in my price range that have the size that I need. Most of them are a pretty good distance from me and I have a hard time traveling too far with so much going on here at the ranch.

I can’t really figure out how I can take a trailer in a strange town to a mechanic to be checked because I couldn’t really tow it there myself with out all of the plugs and stuff that match. Do you you ask the owner to take it there for you? You wouldn’t want to make an appointment at a mechanic if you hadn’t even seen the trailer yet and you couldn’t just show up at one and then have to wait all day or longer for them to look at it. I certainly wouldn’t be able to drive another 3+ hours back to do it all over again. If the trailer was local it would be much easier.

As for the Heacock, since my first concern is safety, how can I find out more about these trailers? Or about how the axles hold up? Could I ask the people there for a list of people who own some older Heacocks and call them and ask about how they like them?

Are you looking at the one with the escape door in the center of the front? That’s a cool design - for some reason, I think that’s really neat. Chase’ll be riding in style!

A friend has a trailer very similar to that one (I figured out that’s why I thought it was so cool - it looks like my friend Heather’s). She has a different front-end set up, where she had a box added on later in the nose of the trailer, that had just enough room for a saddle and a few brush boxes. But, the front door of this one would get in the way… Hmm…

I don’t remember what the sides look like, but would you be able to attach a grooming box later? My trainer has these on her big trailers, and they’re very useful for storing things (especially when I cram the dressing room with everything I own). That way, you’d have space for some stuff, and your saddle could ride in the truck. Still, a very cool trailer…

I emailed about the big trailer but I am not sure it will be tall enough. Also slant loads don’t seem to give enough room to those wide and long horses compared to straight loads. Also a 3 horse is a bit more than I need. I have no idea where Wasco is but I can not travel more than a few hours. We are still in the middle of harvest and I have no one to take care of our 8 animals if we go anywhere for much longer than an afternoon.

It seems like most of the people familiar with the Heacock brand seem to say good things about them with only one person saying they are crap. Still something to think about. Any ideas about how I could find out more information about them?

I have talked to the people at Santa Ynez Valley trailers and asked them to try and find me a new basic model trailer in the size I need and the cheapest one was $10,000. Like I said before I can not do payments on anything. I am still paying off the loan on my horse and I do not have any more money each month for another payment. All I have is the $3000 my hubby offered me, $1000 my Mom offered and $2000 of my emergency money(that I really don’t want to spend). That is it unfortunately, I just don’t make a cent more than what I spend each month to feed my horse and make the loan payment.
This is so hard!

This is great!!!
It is so nice of everyone on the COTH BB pitching in and finding other trailers!!

If I ever start looking, I know where I am coming first!!

And it looks like Fresno and Bakersfield are real close for you.

I mean if Wasco is only 83 miles, how far are the others?

I have to haul all kinds of family trailers with my Suburban.
I have two or three different plugs all costing under 20$ that just attatch to the existing one.

I think that it is called an Adapter Plug.

I was amazed how easy these plugs were to get and just plug on the truck

Perhaps there is some sort of short term guarantee a reputable dealer would give you.

[This message was edited by Bumpkin on Nov. 02, 2001 at 11:01 AM.]

They have a basic steel model for $5995. Yes that is way over my budget but at least it is new!!

They come with:
a 5 year warrenty
warmblood size
fiberglass roof
spring assist ramp
no center post (great for towing grapes too)
walk through escape doors
tandem torsion ride axels
4 wheel electric brakes
15" oversize radial tires
full length stall matts
Kick panels (optional on steel?)
safety glass windows with screens
comercial truck light electrical system
electric breakaway system

I am trying to get some more information on the exact interior measurements but here is the website-

http://heacocktrailers.com/

If you click on ‘horse trailer pictures’ there is a bunch of different pics and it you click on ‘horse trailer models’ the first one is the one I am looking at.

Let me know what you guys think! Should I go for it if I can get one for that price???

I was talking with a featherlite rep. He told me that the trailer that I want (3 horse slant with small Living quarters) weighs about 700 pounds LESS than my steel two horse bumper pull!
I was shocked!

Always,
FairWeather
“Oh loneliness and cheeseburgers are a deadly combination.” --Comic Store Guy
http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

Well, I was thinking that if I was only bringing one horse somewhere that the whole right side would be open. Would it be possible to attach a truck to the right side/inside of the trailer? Have small rings installed to tie it, not just loose and floating around but actually tied to the side or something, especially towards the front nose area? It certainly wouldn’t work with two horses of course but it was just an idea.

We have a truck with the extra cab so there is plenty of room in there and of course the whole bed of the truck too. I just can’t afford the tack room one at all. This trailer is already twice my budget. I will have to dig into my savings that I always keep around for an ‘emergency’. (this is ‘kind of’ and emergency)

The dealership is about 3 hours away, not too bad!

I fell in love with the utilitarian Moritz stock w/dressing room which is around $5,000 new and managed to find the exact model barely used for $2,000 including the weight distributing hitch!

You guys are so great!

Bakersfield is about 3 hours away I think. I am going to go check out all of those sites real quick.