Unlimited access >

I got an email back from Heacock trailers!

The Heacock trailers have a 5 year warrenty. But unless I buy a used trailer from a dealer I think I am out of luck right?

If I could find out for sure that the Heacocks are good trailers I think I would buy one. It would be a lot easier that messing around with used trailers at great distances from people I don’t know.

Any ideas how to find out about the Heacocks??

I know nothing about their trailers, and it is a big help when doing the first selection to have the ability to see them on the web.

I was surprised to see the shots of their trailers hooked to a station wagon (is that a Volvo?) and short SUV. Not that that has anything to do with their product, just an odd thing to see from a trailer manufacturer.

Just my useless observation.

Aren’t you scared of those featherlites?

I’m scared because I think they would blow all over the place behind me when a big truck went by and because god forbid you were ever in any kind of accident with it, it would splinter apart.

Horse Trailer

It is 4500$ and HUGE!!!
In Wasco? California

If you used the 3 horse as a two horse the space is plenty big enough for two draft horses.

I know because a friend has a slant load 4 horse and her friends use it for their draft horses all the time. I am talking BIG horses here.

The trailer has an adjustable bar to make two stalls, one stall or three stall.

[This message was edited by Bumpkin on Nov. 01, 2001 at 10:43 AM.]

I think the CM is red and is about 20 pages back - it was posted in September I think. Sorry, I didn’t know how to link it

Behind every good woman lies a trail of men

I agree with those that vote for a better quality used trailer over a cheaper new one. There is a a reason they cost less - and that can affect your horse’s safety.

Since I’ve been shopping for a trailer too, I definitely understand how tempting it is to just go to a dealer and get a new one. It is hard to sift through all the used ads, make time to go see them, get them evaluated etc. I can totally relate.

However, IMO, this is a major purchase and you just have to be patient until the right trailer comes along. I have too many friends who’ve bought trailers under five grand to be willing to go out and spend more, although I sure have been tempted a few times lately, just to get the whole process over with and “have a trailer already!”

There is a local dealer here who offers new aluminum skin/steel frame trailers (the combo I want) for around $7k. Like I say, I was tempted - and of course, as a dealer, they were willing to finance the whole thing so no need to come out of pocket - but the fit and finish looked so-so to me and I’d just plain never heard of them. I decided to stick to my search for a name brand trailer with a reliable well known company behind it.

If you really like the Heacock and can get an opinion from someone who works on them (mechanic) then by all means go for it. But that price would make me really suspicious.

To appreciate heaven well
'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
Will Carleton (1845-1912)

Oh - those look nice.

If you can haul grapes - can’t you write it off as a business expense?

I’d go take a personal look at them. They look good.
The price certainly is good.

Best of Luck!

• C

Heacock trailers are very nice. I’d buy one myself, frankly. They’re a good “working horse person’s trailer”. You know, I don’t use my tack compartment much, so you probably wouldn’t miss it. Personally, I have a camper shell on my truck to lock my stuff in. Including my truck keys. But that’s another story.

I’m wondering if you have your vineyard’s name painted on the side of your trailer if you could write some of it off as advertising? I believe you can if you’re incorporated. My husband wants a vintage car to restore (mid-life crisis #3) and at least he was told that. I’m not sure what exactly we’d be advertising, though.

“Friends don’t let friends eat fish tacos.”

Well, we will see how tall it is. I also emailed the Trails West people but all of their trailers are only 7’. I bet them are quite a bit more money too. UGH!

check out my post on the slant trailer thread in horse care–our slant is VERY roomy–the singles are comparable to a double on a big transport truck, and if we take a divider out, the stalls are HUGE–you’d never regret having TOO much room, believe me!

When we looked at trailers in Ocala FL, the first one we liked was a 3 horse slant bumper pull–it was SOLD between the time I saw it and when my husband came to see it after the show (he was judging, so couldn’t come sooner)…every trailer we saw after that suffered in comparison–one of the reasons we finally ended up getting one built for us (the one we have began life on paper as a 3 horse, and then we asked if we could add one more stall)…

Re the tack room thing–most of the slants have a tack room–but in a straight load, often the tack compartment was at the expense of the horse’s comfort IMO (especially those stingey under the manger ones).

Gosh, I emailed and called so many people and no one has contacted me!! It is so frustrating.

I just looked up Wasco on map quest and it is 4 hours and 37 minutes away (178.4 miles). UGH!

At this point I feel like I am never going to find something. At least I can know for sure that the show is off and not stress about training for that!