Unlimited access >

I got hurt and now I'm filled with anxiety

I think this is great advice! In 2016 I got bucked off hard the first time I tried to trot my 3yo WB. I got back on that horse 1-2 times and walked a few steps with a friend at her head, but never really “rode” her again. Fast forward a couple years and I have another WB baby to start (didn’t help that it was another chestnut mare, and all the other horses I’ve started have been stock breeds or Arabian). I was very in my head about how to deal with it, second-guessing all my preparatory ground work, etc. I took a weekend and audited a Buck Brannaman colt starting clinic and it made all the difference. Seeing lots of people of different abilities deal with backing a colt with much less prep work than I’d done helped a lot (as well as gleaning some of Buck’s methods). After that, I was able to go home and back my filly within the next few weeks, and with some ground help, got past those first trot steps where my last horse launched me.

Even if you don’t feel ready to go to the barn(haven’t read the thread to the end, sorry), you might try watching some things on YouTube - I’m sure there are plenty of tutorials on how to groom a horse, pick up feet, or whatever you can think of, then work up to being around it in person?

2 Likes

You might benefit from gradual exposure therapy. Actually, there are equine-assisted psychotherapists out there. You may be able to find one who would be willing to come out to the barn with you and teach you ways to regulate your emotions and physical reactions to emotions in response to gradually increasing stimuli.

2 Likes

I had a fall the first week I got my horse and it made me terrified to canter for awhile. I also have had anxiety jumping. I find a few things helpful when the anxiety gets bad:

1. Headspace meditations when I get to the barn/before I get on,
  2. Circle breathing (deep inhale through nose for several counts in, hold, exhale for longer than inhale through mouth, hold, repeat…) - the longer exhale is key as exhaling stimulates your parasympathetic response which is calming,
  3. Seeing a sports psychologist who is a horsewoman (and who turned me on to 1&2 above) and so can relate to horse-related anxieties
  4. Drinking CBD seltzers (Recess) and less coffee
  5. Saying/thinking positive affirmations (“I am a good horseman” and “I can do this” and “I am a good rider”, etc) - especially when I start to doubt myself

I did do visualization after the accident as per sports psychologist’s suggestion but only occasionally do it now.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I’m another one with mounting block anxiety. Once I’m on, I’m completely fine! But getting on in the hardest part. Mine is from when my WB gelding spooked while I was getting on last year. I was halfway over his back when he launched into bronc mode and sent me flying into a fence. One snapped ulna later, surgery and 5 months of rehab.

Lingering anxiety from any accident is completely normal. As everyone has said, small steps and be kind to yourself. It won’t fix itself overnight but it does get better.

4 Likes