I have a new knee! Will I ever ride again?

16 days ago, I had total right knee replacement. I’ve been dealing with knee issues for 15 years and had to concentrate on dressage and drop my jumping due to knee pain. I really want to jump again (small stuff!!) and since my personal trainer made me set a goal, I thought I’d go for it and make my goal participating (and finishing) in a little schooling HT, competing against tiny kids in the amoeba or starter division (and no, I will not be ashamed!!).

I know at one one time I saw a thread about knee replacement but my head is still coming out of my drug induced fog and I cannot find it.

Any here riding again after knee replacement? Let me hear your stories, good or bad, as well as your timing. Thanks!!!

I had my right knee replaced last July. I was back on my horse at a walk at 6 weeks. I think it was about the 4-5 month mark when I no longer noticed the replacement. Now I’m doing better than ever. My advice is 1) take your pain meds so you can do your rehab. Don’t try to be a hero and deal with the pain. 2) do your physical therapy religiously 3) after you’re released from physical therapy, find a program to continue to strengthen the muscles around your knee. Initially, you’ll be so depressed when you realize how much strength and mobility you’ve lost but it will come back if you work at it. I promise you. But you have to work at it! A year later, I can say that it’s been a new lease on life and I am so happy that I had the surgery.

5 Likes

I have had both knees replaced, the left 7 years ago, the right 5 months ago. I was back on the horse 4 weeks out with both. I am riding pain free for the first time in years since the second one. 4 - 5 weeks post surgery is ambitious/aggressive, nothing wrong with waiting longer. Couple of things to consider: if you don’t have one already, get a very tall mounting block. Mounting and dismounting will continue to be an issue, easier on the horse, your saddle and your new knee mounting from and dismounting onto a block. I find jointed stirrups incredibly helpful but some people don’t. See if you can try some before buying as they’re pricey. I would like to upgrade mine to the ones that can turned 90 degrees, I still have difficulty picking up my off stirrup as it’s hard for me to turn my toe in and find it these days and I end up using my stick to help.

I started out riding my guest/child’s/husbands horse who is super comfortable and very mannerly. It took several more weeks for me to be comfortable on my bigger moving horse.

Good luck! I hope you’ll find your new knee as big an improvement as I have mine! And of course, as always, your mileage may vary. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great advice here already from those BTDT.

Just want to add a friend has had multiple - total 5 - knee surgeries on both legs & was still riding after all.
Not competitively, her love was horsecamping & trailriding.
2-week trips & 8h rides were her norm.
Including the Red Rock trailride in Utah.
And all done when she was in her 60s-70s

2 Likes

Ask Gary Stevens, Hall of Fame jockey.

Total knee replacement in 2014 along with hip replacement surgery in 2016 and still race riding as good as ever.

Riding, even competitively, after knee and hip replacements can be done!

1 Like

I have a friend who had a total knee a couple of years ago. She completed a 100 mile endurance ride less than a year later and has been going strong since riding many endurance conditioning and competition miles to include more 100s.

Be patient and be dedicated to your physical therapy.

Pretty ![](uch what everyone else said. I had both knees replaced at the same time and was back on my horse at 8 weeks. I foxhunt --because of the TKR, I wear polo knee guards while hunting. I’ve hit too many trees to take a chance on hitting my new knees. These protect me from a blow to the front and from the side, and would give some protection if I were to fall and land on my knees.

[IMG]http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/images/images_big/406-N2thum.jpg)

1 Like

I’ve had 4 knee replacements and 2 other knee surgeries. No reason not to ride, really — just don’t fall! :smiley: The only reason I don’t ride now is financial, and my mare is out on free lease. However, I am dreaming about getting a mule or a hony after I move for trail riding.

1 Like

These are great experiences! Quite a lift for my spirits! Thank you for the responses!!!

My surgeon told me that my bones will break before the replacement does. So it’s ok to fall. Not that I’m going to try to:lol:

1 Like