Unlimited access >

I have been putting my western saddle on wrong for years!

How tall are you? You method isn’t “wrong” at all, but it’s pretty much physically impossible for those of us who are vertically challenged, especially if a tall horse is involved. Lol.

2 Likes

I used to be 5’9 but am shorter now. My horses are no longer the 17 hand variety either.

I should clarify that depending on the height of the horse I kind of shove it up along their side and gently into place if needed. My saddles are light weight. Thank goodness.

I do a western saddle the same way I do an English saddle except that I hook the off stirrup over the horn first. I hate watching people swing and sling those heavy western saddles up and slam them down onto the poor horse’s back with no concern for how the hair lies. Maybe OK for guys who are 6’4" with a lot of upper body strength and a 14.3-hand Quarter Horse. For me it worked fine with my 15-lb. synthetic saddle and 15-hand Quarter Horse. For my current heavy lesson saddle, no way. I am 5’2".

So get a short horse or use a mounting block! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@candyappy, I’m 5’1. If I were your height, I’d probably just lift the saddle on, too, but that’s not at option for me. My current “horse” is 13.3 and just about perfect for my 27” inseam self.

@Rackonteur, I’m fairly strong, but my arms literally aren’t long enough to lift a western saddle high enough to put it on a horse over about 15.1. It’s not about the weight - it’s the height of the horse versus my wingspan. And I am nowhere near coordinated enough to try to balance on a mounting block while saddling. Therefore, I ride appropriately sized mounts and use the swing method. Properly done, the saddle DOES NOT thump or flop down onto the horse’s back. I prefer quality, well-constructed saddles, and those aren’t light, but it really doesn’t matter when you use the swing method.

1 Like

Oh to be anything taller than 5’ 5" with horses who are at least 15.2. The sorrel was 15.3. No way my short self can lift and set either of these on these horses. The hardseat isn’t as heavy as the bicycle seat that one is over 30 lbs of saddle. No idea why it’s that heavy.

2 Likes

A lot of the weight depends on the type of tree and the leather thickness. The one on the bay is probably a rawhide covered wood tree and the one on the sorrel may be the Steele tree (I’m not sure of the make-up of them, but they are lighter). Plus the one on the sorrel looks to be an older saddle, they didn’t seem to make them as heavy as they do now. I had one that was over 30 lbs. I had to sell it and get a lighter weight one.

It was made for the sorrel, so not very old :wink:

I tried this on my horse and slammed him right in the ribs. He said, “OOOOPH!!!,” jumped sideways, and wanted to know why the h#@^ I hit him with the saddle. I think I need to practice on an inanimate object before I try it on him again. It’s not as easy as it looks in the video.

2 Likes

I’m like you. I’m 5’3’ish and I have a Blue Ribbon saddle so it’s not light by any means. I literally lift the thing up over my head and place it over my horse’s back (he’s 15.3). I really dislike slapping tack on horses and prefer to gently place this saddle on my horse for his comfort. I also show with a felt pad and a pad over that, and I don’t like them shifting around when I’m tacking up.

My wingspan is pretty short but I make it work. The first few times was exhausting but I’ve been able to build up a bit of strength and now can even tack up my friend’s 17.3 Azteca. Sometimes if I have to carry it long distances from a rack to a horse I can even rest it on my head upside down and walk with it, which is really actually quite easy. For the tall horses I get it over my head, sometimes rest it there for a few seconds, then lift it up and over. My arms look great now that I’ve been doing this for a bit.

Different strokes for different folks!!

2 Likes

It’s all in the hips…same with swinging a kettlebell.

I cheat. I use a mounting block as I have no upper body strength.

1 Like

Im going to try this. I hope Im strong enough.

I learned this from Pat Parelli but I contrary to the video, I put it on on the rights side so I can let down the cinch before going to the other side to tighten it.

1 Like

that would require more upper body strength though, as you wouldn’t easily be able to get momentum in your swing by trying to balance on a mounting block. If you’re just lifting it up, I would think that would require more strength

Hmmm…ta king up inside a stall. Hmm…

Well, I couldnt use the version in the video. It would be a stretch to try to reach the opposite side of the saddle and tuck it up under my atm. Then, for most of the horses I have ridden western, I would not be able to keep that hand position and reach across the back!

I did learn early to swing the saddle rather than trying to hoist it. I pulled the off stirrup over the horn and held mostly by the front of the gullet. I tried to set it gently, but did not always succeed. Had a taller friend whose technique I admired - she seemed to get it to hover over the back and then land gently every time.

???

I saw this video and was all excited to try it. It did not go quite as planned.

Let me paint a picture: I am 5’3 on a good day (if I find just the right mound of dirt to stand on). My horses are, at a minimum, 15.2-16.3hh. My saddle is about 32lbs, fully rigged - I ride a McCall Lady Wade. I attempted this with my largest mare, which was probably my first mistake.

No matter how I tried, I could not physically get the saddle up there in the method shown. I tried. I think my husband took video.

So I went back to putting the saddle on the way I’ve done for years - holding it under the horn and the cantle, and kind of balancing the seat on my head as leverage so I can lift it and gently set it down. It’s not the prettiest method, but it works.

But I got smarter for the future - my upcoming main horse might top out at 14hh. She’s barely 13hh now at 18 months old. LOL.

3 Likes

I normally ride h/j and dressage, but I did get a nice, albeit heavy, western saddle as I wanted to dabble in western dressage and use it on trail rides. My TB is a good hefty 16.2. I could NOT lift that saddle to get it on my horse. I’m 5’6", so not short, short. It didn’t work the way I put my h/j and dressage saddles on, it was just TOO heavy. I saw a video similar to this one done by Warwick Schiller, and low and behold, I can get the saddle on. It’s not as simple as he makes it look, but it works. Still heavy. :smile:

1 Like