I have the world's best timing...

Me: I’m going to limit my horse activities so I don’t get injured and add to the stress placed on the health care system right now…

My Body: How about some cancer. Cancer sound like a good idea in the middle of a global pandemic.

Beast cancer, stage 0 so caught super early and not life threatening at all. Just the world’s worst timing. Caught because that breast also decided to have a random, super rare, and completely unrelated problem.

Surely some of you other ladies have had to deal with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ? Tell me it’s a mildly annoying walk in the park and it’ll be over before I know it.

I don’t know anything about it, but I’m wishing you the best.

Rebecca

1 Like

That is certainly craptastic timing…wishing you all the best with the treatment…

1 Like

you can consult with your doctor but usually you have local resection or simple radiation therapy, no chemicals. Currently considered 99% curative. Medlinplus.gov or the National Breast cancer .org sites are helpful

left untreated they will progress.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that but I agree that it is wonderful that you caught it so early. Jingles for an easy fix

1 Like

My daughter in law was diagnosed with DCIS 12 years ago at age 26. She did have a mastectomy and radiation but no chemo. She takes Tamoxifen with no side effects. She went on to have two more children. Cancer free.

Stage 0 is great news. I found out I had invasive lobular carcinoma las year. Stage 1. Lumpectomy and radiation. I’m taking hormone blockers. Cancer free.

My best friend had DCIS 15 years ago. Stage 1. Lumpectomy and radiation. No further problems. Cancer free.

You caught it early. You should be optimistic.

Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Jingles to you! I, too, have the world’s worst timing: 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, this week MRI showed that there are some other factors in play that make the easy-peasy hysterectomy no longer an option, and now I’m looking at chemo and radiation.

Not trying to hijack! Just commiserating. The slight silver linings to the situation include a VERY flexible remote work schedule, amazing coworkers, and since the metro areas are on lockdown, traffic is non-existent and parking is no problem!

1 Like

OP you will find out from your doctors what kind of cancer you have and whether it is a hormone sensitive type or not. That will depend whether you get hormone therapy or another form of chemotherapy after surgery. Best practice these days seems to be to treat aggressively at the start, rather than wait to see if it recurs.

1 Like

Jingles to you…I’m just over a year out since my diagnosis (oct 2019 and surgery dec 2019), stage 1, 4 tumors in one breast but all under 2cm, er\pr+ HER- Stage 0 is an even better outlook than mine and mine was excellent ! I am currently cancer free! I did have a mastectomy with reconstruction as it was stage 1 but did not need chemo or radiation due to stage and low oncotype…just Tamoxifen for 10 years or until menopause and then I’ll change to a different medication (aromotose inhibitor) . I believe with stage 0 if it’s Er/pr+ and HER- you’ll just go on tamoxifen and no surgery, but you’ll find and decide that when you get all your pathology results!

Yes your timing is craptaststic but your outlook is great! Deep breaths…Stage 0 is extremely early and a lot of oncologists are even hesitant now to call it cancer! You will do great and if you need to, feel free to PM me!

1 Like

BTDT got the t-shirt that says: “Yes, They Are Fake, My Real Ones Tried to Kill Me”

Kidding on the t-shirt.
DX DCIS in 1998, had lumpectomy (outpatient) for a less than 1cm tumor, 6wks of radiation & won 2nd in my first rated Event - BNH - the weekend after I stopped the rads.
That WAS a Walk in the Park.

18yrs later got a wonky mammogram.
This time wire biopsy - OW - showed I was a candidate for mastectomy.
Not so much a Walk this time, but amazingly hospital wanted to discharge me the day after surgery.
Actually, I coulda gone, but begged an extra day so my ride home was not inconvenienced.
Recovery was not terrible, ban on lifting was a PITA having horses at home - filled muckfork does weigh over 5#.
Worst part was the damned drains - 3 - I had in for a month. But more inconvenient than painful.
I was back to riding (Dressage - my current horse does not jump) in 3mos,
Bought myself a Survivor’s Consolation Gift of a mini, had him trained to drive & never looked back.
Closing on 4yrs post-surgery now, mammograms back to annual & normal.
Treatment is 5yrs of aromatase inhibitor, worst side effect occasional return of night sweats & some joint pain. I opted out of the Prolia that is suggested to accommodate bone-loss as those side effects were not tolerable & bone density tests okay.

As for timing, my understanding is NO CANCER PATIENTS are being denied treatment now.
A friend is just starting her 3rd round of chemo.

I have to go back in 2 weeks after I have the results of the DNA testing. I have a family history of breast cancer at a young age, and I am young to have it as well. So they wanted to test me. Depending on the results my doctor says I might be a candidate for a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy.

The waiting has sucked, and my work put me on teleworking only so that I’m not at higher risk of getting COVID, which could delay my treatment. But there isn’t actually any telework to do so I am sitting at home bored. (When I am not at the barn, because I am lucky enough to still be able to go).

I keep my horses at a self care stable on a military installation, half the barn has already volunteered to take care of my pony while I am out… In fact some of the ladies want to know if I need someone to brush him now, and braid flowers and ribbons into his adorable little mane. He has them all wrapped around his hoof.

I bought a new Bellcrown cart as my “this sucks” consolation gift.

1 Like

Yes if you carry the BRCA mutations they will recommend a prophylactic mastectomy with reconstruction and possibly a hysterectomy (depending on if it’s BRCA1 or 2)…good luck, it’s a decision that we never want to have to make! There are a number of different types of reconstruction, a good plastic surgeon is worth their weight in gold, and will advise and guide you through the process…I had a single, with silicone implant as I didn’t have enough body fat for DIEP flap etc…plus it was less time off riding lol…I also had the other side augmented to match, although in November I will undergo a scar revision on the mastectomy side a a lift on the non mastectomy side! It can take more than one surgery to get a “matched set” (this will be Surgery 3 including the mastectomy for me!) … but all in all I’m extremely happy! My plastic surgeon has become one of the most important people in my life…I am forever grateful to these amazingly talented surgeons!