I need encouragement to keep riding

Last July I fell from my +17hh hannoverian and I broke my sacrum. Now I am recovered, not fully but i’m functional again.

Unfortunately my horse died from a rupture in September, so now I only have my pony to ride. Or maybe this is fortunate, because it should be easier to start on a 14hh horse.

Last saturday, after a friend rode my pony, I mounted for the first time. It was just less than 5 minutes, only at the walk, my friend by my side. I did not feel pain or fear, my legs where rather weak but then that was to be expected. But I found myself vulnerable.

People at the barn did not help either. They called me irrational, irresponsible, almost suicidal, for trying to ride again.

And that made me feel even worse.

I need to be able to ride again, I know that being almost 54 yo and not too fit I can’t make a lot of choices regarding a new horse. I know that I must become fit again, it is nt the same be able to walk or drive than to ride a +500kgs beast.

But then, if the people at the barn cannot understand me, how can I expect other people (work mates, family etc) to understand and support me?

I would appreciate a bit of support, maybe similar experiences or just good wishes…

[QUOTE=eternalbeginner;8945138]
Last July I fell from my +17hh hannoverian and I broke my sacrum. Now I am recovered, not fully but i’m functional again.

Unfortunately my horse died from a rupture in September, so now I only have my pony to ride. Or maybe this is fortunate, because it should be easier to start on a 14hh horse.

Last saturday, after a friend rode my pony, I mounted for the first time. It was just less than 5 minutes, only at the walk, my friend by my side. I did not feel pain or fear, my legs where rather weak but then that was to be expected. But I found myself vulnerable.

People at the barn did not help either. They called me irrational, irresponsible, almost suicidal, for trying to ride again.

And that made me feel even worse.

I need to be able to ride again, I know that being almost 54 yo and not too fit I can’t make a lot of choices regarding a new horse. I know that I must become fit again, it is nt the same be able to walk or drive than to ride a +500kgs beast.

But then, if the people at the barn cannot understand me, how can I expect other people (work mates, family etc) to understand and support me?

I would appreciate a bit of support, maybe similar experiences or just good wishes…[/QUOTE]

I had a really bad fall when I was 59. I am now 66 and still riding!
First, I cannot believe the non-supportive people at your barn! Are they friendly" with you? if so you need new barn mates!
My injuries were a broken heel, an avulsion of achilles tendon and hairline fractures of my sacrum. It was 6 months before I could ride and the fear of riding the horse that threw me was terrifying!
What helped me the most was wearing a safety vest. Mentally it gave me more courage to know I had “some” help with a vest. I had to take it slow getting back to riding like you did. I wound up selling that horse, as she was a biotch anyway. Bought myself a confidence builder, I ride dressage. He was a 15.2 hand draft cross.
I had to retire him 2 years ago and now have the most wonderful horse in the world!
So yes there is more riding in your future, from someone who has been there!!
If you need more support or have any questions just PM me!!

1 Like

In a Word: F**K the people at your barn! :mad:
How dare they presume to discourage you from riding again?
Are they all doctors?
If not, disregard their snark & ride as you see fit.

I am 66, had 2 major surgeries this Summer - June & August - and had just started riding my newest horse - a TWH gifted to me when I lost my 17h+ WB last July (sorry to hear of your loss too). I got him in September of 2015 & rode several days a week until Winter made me take time off. We took up again in March & that is when I got the diagnosis that disrupted my Summer.
He is pretty hard-wired to gait, but I want him to trot & was working toward that with my trainer. She comes to my place 2X month or less frequently when we can’t mesh schedules.

I was permitted to start riding again this September & Progress is being made.
I am fortunate to not only have a knowledgeable & supportive trainer, but a down-the-road neighbor who also has horses & we support each other.

As long as your doctors are aware you are riding & you take any precautions they advise, I suggest telling the NaySayers to STFU!
You can do so politely, tell them:
“Thank you for your concern, but I am doing fine”
Then ride on & out of hearing.
Let the hens cluck, you do what you want!

1 Like

Keep on riding. Often riding horses is what makes life worth while.

Small horses and ponies can be great riding animals.

I use the RS-tor rider security aid: www.rstor.co.uk. It is designed to aid the rider holding it to land on their feet, not their back.

This gadget brings me great peace of mind when a horse starts acting up, which means I relax and have less difficulty staying on.

2 Likes

I understand completely. In 2008 I fell and fractured my L1 vertebrae. I never rode that horse again but I’ll be honest, it took a while to get back on the packer. I rode in a safety vest for about 6 months. That was hard too because it was hot in SC. Don’t listen to other people. Listen to your DOCTOR. In the meantime, there is a lot you can do unmounted to keep involved. Make sure you are super fit.

That fall was really a game changer for me. Before the fall, I would ride any darn horse. In my mind, I always thought 2 things…I fall, I get back on. I fall, I never get up. What I didn’t consider is the alternative…I am a lot more careful.

1 Like

Take care of yourself and just go slowly but persevere…lots of deep breathes and have some days for hand grazing or grooming. Use all your senses to touch, small, listen to your pony…

L1-L2 fracture…you can do this!

Not the sacrum, but I suffered a compression fracture of the L1 & L2 vertebrae after my horse went into a bucking fit. Doctor said it practically pulverized my lower back muscles.

Horse went to trainer. We figured out some of his issues, what buttons not to push, and quite frankly, ten years later there are times when he still has my number.

I’d be lying if I said I was never scared of him. But 99% of the time he works his butt off for me, and the joy he brings me outweighs the fear. I know where not to go, what battles to fight or not to fight… Took me awhile to learn that, and there were a LOT of naysayers out there. But I have a trainer who is patient, willing to work with both of us, willing to babysit me when necessary and to push me past my comfort zone without being dangerous. I started back with her by my side, then on a lunge line. It took time to build up my confidence.

Having said all that…the MOST important things are TIME and believing in yourself. You have to give yourself time to regain your body, your feel…and your confidence. Who cares if it’s on a 14h school pony? If he’s reliable and you feel safe with him, then continue as you’re doing and get back into riding gradually…one step at a time, and build upon it. Maybe try finding a riding instructor with a good schoolmaster to help you.

I know it’s hard when your barnmates don’t support you. But I bet there are plenty of things that THEY do that others criticize too and yet they keep doing it. You do what you need to do for YOU, and tell them to take a hike.

Ride, ride, ride! Trust your instincts and go at your pace. You’ve been through a really rough patch, that’s for sure. But 54 is not old, unless you think it is. Riding is used in physical therapy very successfully. It has proven physical and psychological benefits, so if you want to do it again, surround yourself with supportive and knowledgeable people and enjoy. Don’t be hard on yourself if you don’t havefull confidence right away. You’ll get there. You might enjoy riding differently than you used to, or you might go back to the same, either is ok. I’m 52, have been riding since I was 11, and just had my most serious fall off a horse ever, last weekend. I’ve not had a ton of falls, and none where I don’t remember it and couldn’t get right back on. I was very lucky to not have broken anything in my pelvis/hip area that was battered, and only suffer a mild concussion. I’m anxious to get back on my horse; she did everything right, apparently, which likely saved my life. It was my own error that caused the accident. But I’m thinking I will do slower work with her for a while, for sure. I’m just getting back to really focusing on riding with purpose again, after decades of just fitting in casual trail/road rides here and there with no particular schedule or goals. Good luck and have fun!

I’ve had a few falls with minor injuries that took a long time to heal…soft tissue injuries. My big challenge is my general health. I have a remodeled heart, missing sternum, a lot of pain, diabetes (with lows, usually at the barn), etc etc etc.

But when I ride…I have none of those things. I am free, I am young, I am thin. Everything peels away for that time. I wouldn’t give up that “vacation” from reality for anyone.

Tell them all to STFU, in your own words of course. You do what you can do, as much or as little as you want. You’ll get stronger each day. It’s taken me 11 years after my last big health scare where I was given a 50/50 chance of survival. I’m a better rider now that I ever was! And planning on a busy show season next year. I’ll be 70 in May.

Keep you friend, she’s a dear to help you with your riding. And, I’m sorry about your horse. It’s so hard to lose them.

I fractured L4 - SI two years ago, and L4 took the spinal cord with it to the left and there you have it. I had surgery, 2 months of bed rest to let the cage/fixture set, then 6 months of PT, upon when my doc said “you can get back on again”. I was delighted, and ever-cautious. There were friends and peers that told me to never ride again, but that’s their fears. I no longer ride training horses, of any level. I simply refuse to get hurt on any horse but my own. I am now riding again, still very cautious, and quite aware that my fitness determines my feeling of safety on my horses. But ride. Ignore the fearful around you. Wear the vest, as it does offer protection and adds a level of safety to you. Keep doing what you love. I’m going to ride as long as my body will allow me to, but I know that I am part of that equation. Riding is what makes me feel alive, so to lose that ability, to lose that great love and escape of my horses…not an option. Keep up your own good work and reclaim what you love!!

I was 56 when I hit the ground hard and messed myself up, broken collar bone, shoulder, wrist, 9 breaks and fractures to the ribs, punctured lung, and some other minor issues. Sold the horse that dumped me, gave thanks every day that the day before the accident I had bought a horse that I knew I could trust, 15.1hh boring QH with a heart of gold.

I can’t believe the buttholes at your barn, everyone at mine have been so supportive and encouraging in the 3 years it has taken me to come most of the way back. They cheer my victories, and help when I’m having a (now rare) bad day. SO sorry that you don’t have their support and encouragement, not that you need it, but it is nice when horse people pull for other horse people.

I second wearing a safety vest, it is as much a part of my life as boots and helmet now, every ride. I fell last year, and more or less bounced!

Take it at your own pace, as long as your addiction to riding trumps fear, just do it!

Would love an update…hope you are still riding

More power to you, OP! I have also broken my sacrum - not riding related - and it does take a while to recover. Treat your body kindly, I would expect your choice of saddle to change as mine did. Don’t be worried by occasional pains, you can get those YEARS afterward. They can and will happen unless you are very fortunate…I was told my x-rays will always show a break. Take it slow and try to enjoy life…I doubt any of those people will ever experience that kind of pain unless they do the same injury to themselves, God forbid. I remember they offered me morphine in the hospital, which I refused. Very hard to get past that pain without fainting, but once you do, most other things seem very small in comparison.

I know this is a little late considering how long ago you posted this. I but I hope you are still riding and left that barn with all of those snotty rail birds. My old riding instructor was second field master of the local hunt at age 90 after she broke her back at age 65.
sometimes we end up just being at the wrong barn. Sometimes that barn used to be the right barn but it isn’t right anymore. Finding that next right place isn’t easy especially with the additional complications you are experiencing.
that barn is out there