Unlimited access >

i need help :(

If you really feel that this is the pony for you, why don’t you talk to your trainer about selling your current horse so that you can buy this pony? Then you won’t have to worry about trying to sell the pony in a year and the cost to your family will be pretty negligible, otherwise I don’t see what reason you could provide your parents to buy this one. You already have 1 that you’re not riding every day, so there’s no particular reason for them to take on this extra expense aside from the fact that you want the pony. I would show them how important this is to you by making the financial sacrifice yourself.

4 Likes

Not sure enticing your parents to buy this Pony because you have a “special bond” with the intent to sell it in a year is logical. At all. If I’m your parent, that’s the first reason to say no you would hear, if you love it so much, how can you plan to sell it in a year?

. The second objection would be parents are already paying, like, at least 6k a year just for board, vet, farrier on the horse you already have, realistically, that amount is probably closer to 10k with lessons, clothing you would not need if you didn’t have a horse, tack, supplies and driving you back and forth. You do say you will be driving soon, are they buying you a car and covering the insurance or will you be sharing a family car (and adding a new, teen driver to that insurance) ?

Point being, you are assuming some things that might not be possible. Your first conversation with parents would be to see if they have an extra 6-10k to support another horse for you. Not everybody can and most don’t let on to their kids how tight things are with college coming up, especially if you have siblings who also have dreams that cost.

One other detail, contracts with minors are unenforceable so adults aren’t likely to sign any kind of contract with a minor. Your parents and/or trainer will likely need to be the ones taking the time to search for buyers, negotiate price and conditions for you and sign/co sign contracts.

You can work with these things but you have to understand they are there to figure out solutions.

8 Likes

@Denali6298 . The OP told us that it was her dream pony. Otherwise I would of just called it a horse/pony.

2 Likes

Is this the Pinto Pony you rescued and asked for help with last spring? The one you wanted to take to a show and jump 2’ 9” on but your trainer doesn’t know anything about Jumpers? The one that won’t change leads behind? You have posted asking for help with these. Sometimes with the same “I need help” thread title.

The more info you give us, the more chance we might help you. Your other horse, did your parents buy him for you or are you riding him for your trainer? Nothing wrong with that, might even make the idea of buying you the Pony more possible.

1 Like

she’s a POA, about 8 or 9, and yes, has been jumping for quite a while. she’s pretty insane at jumping, she’s gone up to 3’6 and i usually schooled her 2’6 2’9. i did a couple barn shows, and did jumpers.

Curious about a couple of things …

So the pony as it was in your barn was a good re-sale project … and in fact, the pony was sold to the current owner for $3,200. So, someone agreed with you, and grabbed that opportunity.

You have now informed the current owner that they WAY overpaid for the pony at its current stage of training. You did the seller no favors with that!

But you are negotiating a much lower price for yourself at $2,000. However, upkeep on the pony of about $6,000-$8000 per year (your own numbers and realistic other costs) will negate any chance to make a profit even if you are able to sell it again at $3,200 to $4,500 in a year. Does that make sense, re the numbers?

If the pony is already jumping 3’6" and showing at 2’6"-2’9", where is this re-training opportunity? Pony is already ready to go.

Sounding more and more like you got a good suggestion a few posts back, to sell your current pony and replace it with this one, assuming this pony is more what you’d like to have.

Hmmmmm.

she’s a POA, about 8 or 9, and yes, has been jumping for quite a while. she’s pretty insane at jumping, she’s gone up to 3’6 and i usually schooled her 2’6 2’9. i did a couple barn shows, and did jumpers.

That info does change my advice.

She is NOT a prospect, then, she’s just a difficult ride. Maybe one that’s been over jumped and had her brains fried.
And based on the evidence, one that needs to be in a regular program at a trainer’s barn to stay on track.

The market for pony jumpers is NOT big, and the one for pony jumpers that require a professional ride is …invisible.

She is not a flipping or resale opportunity.

So if you really want this pony, it’s a buy her and keep her forever situation, MAYBE a buy her, keep her and short term lease her to a few select riders situation.

PS - I was given a similar pony, who thankfully was 6 when I got her. Typey, good mover, crazy good jumper. I put a lot of quiet time on her, lots of hacks and trail rides where I stayed on a long rein. It took two other professionals to help find her eventual home, one was a very well known pony trainer. When all was said and done, I netted about ~$1000. on the deal. On a free pony. That I wasn’t paying board on, and I didn’t pay for shoeing. (In other words, if I was paying board and farrier, it would have been a net loss of 9K.) But that I otherwise kept for 18 months. I did adore the pony - she was brave and smart and talented. And I was very happy with her eventual home.

2 Likes

Why are we enabling this?

This is ridiculous. OP does not need “help” getting her parents to pay for a SECOND equine in the form of a $3200, poorly trained pony that bucks and is “insane” at jumping as if it is some sort of “investment” when she only gets out to the barn half the week as it is.

OP clearly is not in the kind of program where an investment horse would work, and this pony wouldn’t be an investment or a good use of money and time even if she were.

OP should be happy with the horse she already has and realize she can’t have every single pony she wants until she is making and spending her own money, at which point she will STILL not be able to have every single pony she wants.

Christ on a stick.

6 Likes

It’s a kid, probably around 14.

1 Like

meup,

Who peed in your breakfast cereal?

This is a kid, who came here for advice and has been polite and forthcoming. We didn’t get the key information about this situation until 4 posts ago.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I absolutely had dreams and schemes like this when I was a teenager. And yes, reality did eventually take care of them; reality very rarely needs help from others to deal with young people’s hopes and dreams.

But there’s no need to be mean or melodramatic. OP really likes the pony, it was sold to a bad situation, OP would really like to rescue the pony. Situation that’s played out on this board hundreds of time. OP isn’t independently wealthy and is trying to come up with a workable plan, but there isn’t a feasible one that doesn’t involve lottery tickets. The end.

Why be so over the top critical?

4 Likes

Agreed. I totally had schemes like this and made them happen. First horse was a 2 yo, had a companion that was boarder line dangerous and a couple of flips when I was a teenager.

Man on this board you get criticized for looking into a lease horse because your horse is in full training and that means your a crappy rider and have no business leasing. Then people get criticized for wanting to take on a project with a trainer involved. Clearly in 2019 we can’t win.

4 Likes

So you didn’t read the replies for comprehension. Before dropping in to fire off a big criticism at people who have done nothing at all to you.

Can you quote the post that you think is enabling, and explain point by point? Because no one is enabling, instead they are counseling REALITY. If you read the posts for comprehension you would see reasoned arguments why this young person’s plan is NOT realistic. But why another perspective on her situation, a different plan, might bring her more satisfaction.

What’s wrong with that?

Don’t you have something better to do?

3 Likes

her current owners don’t do anything with her. they barely trot, let alone canter and jump.

thank you!!

1 Like

i’m just looking for some advice from people with this kind of experience, no need to be rude about it!

1 Like

So what? It’s doing the pony no harm.

Many owners under-use their horse. Their sailboat, their golf clubs, their gym membership, etc. At least it’s saving the wear & tear on the pony.

I understand that you are very attached to this pony. And that you want the best for him. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact, it’s a good thing to want the best for the pony. But unfortunately we can’t be collectors of every equine we will come across in our lives that tweaks our heartstrings.

I wish I was far more wealthy than I am. If I could, there is a chestnut ottb that I’d take on immediately and for the rest of his life. In fact, over the last 5 years, if I’d had the means, I’d probably be the owner of about 5 horses whose owners were less interested in them, and I cared very much about their future and well-being. But that’s a common thing among everyone who cares about horses - again and again you’ll come across one you’d love to have, but it’s just not something that can be done.

Maybe you could exchange your current pony for this one, if yours would be a better fit for them? Sounds like he’d have an easy and well-cared-for life.

It’s probably a good idea to talk with your parents about everything you are thinking about with this pony. If they will listen sympathetically, they may be able to help you see what the options are for your family. At least you’ll know that you did take that step. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One quick note from outside the box: has this pony been seen by an equine chiropractor? Bucking plus not being able to pick up one lead (or having trouble with lead changes) often means back pain, and often in the form of the sacrum needing to be adjusted. As well, saddle fit can dramatically affect movement; too tight around the wither or shoulder can prevent correct or easy bending, for example. This may not be a difficult pony, but simply a pony in pain.

2 Likes

Well, don’t think we have suggested any vet or body work as the Pony was sold to somebody 5 hours away . It’s good information to keep in mind for future challenges. Not a solution here and now or at least not until OP knows they want to sell the Pony to her and her parents.

1 Like

“Well, don’t think we have suggested any vet or body work as the Pony was sold to somebody 5 hours away . It’s good information to keep in mind for future challenges. Not a solution here and now or at least not until OP knows they want to sell the Pony to her and her parents.”

I asked a question of the OP. I didn’t suggest that she pay for the treatment, and it does sound like she’s in touch with the current owners, so she could suggest this to them. Just trying to help out the pony here.

1 Like

My suggestion if you decide to buy the pony back is be prepared to keep it longer than a year. If it has a been a difficult ride and you are one of the only ones able to ride it then odds are pretty good that you will have it longer than a year. In terms of the bucking fits: did it have them with you and you could just ride it out, or did the pony not buck when you rode. If you had to ride out a lot of bucks have soundness issues been ruled out?

I purchased a project horse a few years ago with the intent to have for 6 months and resell. He was quirky and bonded to me more than any horse I have ever owned, I kept him longer than planned and then eventually convinced myself that I really should sell because that was the intent when I purchased him in the first place. I thought I had done a good job in finding him a suitable match, but after approximately two years I ended up taking him back because he did not work out. When I looked at taking him back, it wasn’t to put more training on him and try to resell, it is literally to keep him as a pet and do a bit of everything with him because it is such a challenge to find the right fit for a difficult horse. I am extremely excited to have this horse back, so not saying it is a bad thing.

I am not saying don’t buy the pony back, but be prepared in terms of costs to have him a lot longer than planned… Also difficult ponies are even tougher to sell than difficult horses.

1 Like