Unlimited access >

I need some advice about taking a job at a reining barn

Please reach out privately to me. I started as a loper, then as assistant trainer and now I’m the head trainer and breeding manager of a small scale reining operation.
I am very much in the know of who is good to work for and who to run from.
I could also point your in the right direction depending upon what your goals are.

13 Likes

Okay I just sent you a private message

11% not that I ever remember it is currently 15.3%. The rate consists of two parts: 12.4% for social security and 2.9% for Medicare

1 Like

And if she is a contractor–would he be covered by workmen compensation? (or is the term contractor used differently between IRS and workmen comp?) You always want to be
in a category to be covered by workmen comp in the event you get injured on the job.

2 Likes

It is not worth doing for those wages. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I was making $10 an hour (as a groom) then $25 an hour riding, and now I make about $35/hr for exercising clients horses. If I was training green horses, the going rate is about $50/session.

Self employment taxes are 15.3 percent.

Unless you think you are going to learn an incredible amount and they will give you free lessons or coaching, it’s probably not worth it.

1 Like

Well it was a LONG time ago. Decades. Forgot about Medicare taxes. Payroll taxes is not my field of expertise. I knew it was more than the employees portion and it is worse than I thought it was.

Let us know what you decide to do OP!

3 Likes