Unlimited access >

I need some good vibes

Diana, my shy indoor cat got out of my house this morning and she is still not come home. I am looking for positive stories of house cats that got and came home or just some positive vibes . I put my senior kitty down this weekend and am feeling really guilty that Diana got out in the first place .

4 Likes

Jingles for you and your kitty. I hope Diana comes home quickly. I had one that got out and hid under a step. I happened to see his eyes in the dark and I climbed under there and had to drag him out.
I am also very sorry about your senior kitty. Please keep us updated on Diana. :heart:

1 Like

Oh no!!! Jingling for Diana’s return!! I am also so sorry to hear about your poor senior catizen.

A happy return home story -
My cat Teddy was always trying to get out and one day he was very clever and escaped. I had the main door open and the screen door latched. It was a rickety old screen door that had not been hung correctly and needed to be pulled quite hard to shut and then latched with a hook and eye. The bottom of the door could be pushed open but only a crack.

I come out looking for Ted and he is gone. I am running all over the house and he is nowhere to be found. I check outside everywhere calling and calling. No Ted. I searched for a couple of hours before giving up. About 4 hours later I see one of my outside cats looking under a bush and he’s very interested in what’s under there. I go outside, call him and he comes running over, looks up at me and then runs back to the bush and keeps looking back at me. There was Ted under the bush. I don’t know where he had been but he was very grateful to be home. And of course a latch was placed on the bottom of the screen that he had squeezed thru.

2 Likes

There is a thread that was active just last week about the unannounced excursions of kitties that do eventually come home. Hours. Days. Weeks. Etc.

I don’t have time to look it up. But will be thinking return-home thoughts for your kitty! It is so distressing when we don’t know where they are or that they are ok. Hope Diana is ok and will be home soon.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your senior & Diana.

I’ve read you can put her litterbox outside & she’ll come to use it.
If you live somewhere you can avoid raccoons, skunks, even squirrels coming to eat, put out some food for her too.

Hoping to hear she’s come back ASAP! :crossed_fingers::pray:

2 Likes

So terribly sorry for the loss of your senior kitty. Sending jingles for Diana to appear soon, acting all innocent and nonchalant about worrying Mom to death. {{{Hugs}}}

2 Likes

Has Diana returned? I sure hope so!

1 Like

Jingles & AO for Diana to reappear ~

Please put some of her familiar scents around the doors ~ piece of clothing ~ * also place some of the litter box scat and litter around the outside corners of the house to remind her she is “home” and to stay around ~

^ this also tells other cats the home is “taken” ~ it’s Diana’s

Be patient ~ she’s scared and will need time to process in order to reappear ~ she’s hiding and staying safe ~

4 Likes

No, she is still outside . I was up all night worrying about her. I am going to go knock on doors after work/ at lunch time. I live in a National park with coyotes and I am very worried something has happened to her .

Thank you for the good advice . I put out one of the litter boxes and her favorite camp chair out yesterday. I also went and purchased a humane trap. The weather is supposed to turn ugly with snow and wind starting tonight and going through Sunday . I am just feeling guilty that this happened at all.

2 Likes

She will stay within House range ~ and not appear until the “coast is clear” ~ maintain your schedule ~ same sounds and patterns ~ whatever you do daily - do that - same time schedule ~

Be patient ~ this is a tough assignment for anyone ~ especially when the feline heart belongs to you ~ ((hugs))

Good Luck Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

3 Likes

My best friend’s cat left her 4th floor apartment (big tree growing up to her balcony, perfect ladder for the cat) last September. She found him last month, thanks to Facebook. He had settled near a house whose owner had a cat, and was being fed along with the other cat. Was seen at Burger King, crossing a freeway etc. He was living outside when it was cold, but he stayed healthy and is now happily back home.
My friend did post pictures of him everywhere, on social media, contacted the SPCA and the vet, etc. She thought he was a lost cause and got another (siamese cross) kitty from the SPCA. They are now best friends!

Don’t lose hope.

2 Likes

Continued Jingles for her to come home.

2 Likes

One of my cats was outside when the guy came to do the termite inspection on my house. This cat was pretty spooky around new people (in hindsight I should have had him inside) and he disappeared. He was gone for about 3 days but he came back on the 3rd night. I was a complete mess and I went all over looking for him and calling him. I never saw him but I had a feeling that he wasn’t far away.

Fingers crossed that sweet Diana comes home soon! :crossed_fingers: :heart:

1 Like

Four of my neighbors missing cats have turned out to be trapped in basements they were exploring. They were all ok. Try your neighbors. Best of luck.

Try this: Take a walk outside, maybe talking softly, carrying some kitty food. You don’t need to put it down. Go very close to any bushes or hiding places. Not calling so much as just alerting worried distracted kitty that it is you.

Walk out and back to the house on one side. Then do that on another side. And so forth until you have showed the way home is safe from all of the hiding places. Leave a little food dish at the door (if it won’t attract local fauna).

I had a very spooky kitty once. On the rare occasions when she got out, that routine brought her back home within an hour or so. It seems she just needed a lead to show that she could get home safely.

I did have to use a humane trap to get her back twice. It scared her some, but she went in the second time a few months later! I think she was almost relieved that she had a way home.

2 Likes

Jingles for her safe return!

I’ve had barn kitties go missing for a day or two (or a few weeks, even!) and then come home like nothing had ever happened. “Yo, lady, where the bleep is my food?”

On our local lost pets FB page a couple of years ago, someone was frantically trying to find her 8-week old kitten - he’d slipped out the back door, it was going to be in the teens that night with snow forecast - and then about 2 hours later, she came back and said, “I don’t know WHERE he was, but he just came up the stairs from the basement!”

Like ZuZu said, put out a favorite blanket, litter box, etc. so she smells it and know she’s still home. Hopefully the live trap will catch her. And don’t feel too guilty - we’ve all BTDT. Kitties are masters at doing the things they shouldn’t!

3 Likes

And you are sure she really got out?

Daughter called me in a panic once saying her beloved indoor cat had escaped. She had seen him but he would just run away from her. Turned out that cat was a look-alike. Her cat finally appeared from the fireplace, having spent the missing time exploring the chimney.

Aunt’s doted on indoor cat went missing and my aunt was a basket case. Turned out she had closed her front door and the cat was sandwiched between it and the storm door. She discovered her the next morning. The cat was fine.

My personal record for an indoor cat escaping and then returning was two weeks.

2 Likes

Here is the other thread. Many, many kitties who did return on their own.

Offering no explanations, of course. Just expecting a meal.

1 Like

A friend in the Bay Area had her older, fat indoor-only cat escape. She was gone six weeks or so, til the homeowner who had started feeding her as a stray took her to a vet, who scanned her for a chip. Bingo!

2 Likes