Unlimited access >

I oiled my ostrich leather... help

English girl here. I maintain all my english tack by washing down with good old fashioned saddle soap in bar form, and then a wipedown with Passier Ledersbalsam. Anything obviously dry or crispy gets extra Ledersbalsam soaking.

I got myself a western saddle. Seemingly a fairly high quality one, but old. Mary’s Tack Custom Made, Whittier CA.
Leather quality is beautiful, but quite obviously dry. So after a summer of riding it in the bush, rain, and hot sun I brought it in for a full cleaning and love.

What I didn’t take into account was the (i’m now assuming) very REAL ostrich skin seat.
The saddle DRANK that Ledersbalsam. Except for the seat… which is now extremely tacky and very soft.
DID I JUST WRECK MY NICE SADDLE? Should I just leave it and let it even itself out with use? Did i compromise its structure? Did I make it weak?

I feel so stupid and I am scared. Help lol.

1 Like

I think you are ok —quick search of the WWW has articles on care of ostrich skin. You may have to re-clean with soap your ostrich seat as TO ME it seems it has been over oiled. All the articles say THIN application of oil --most espouse “exotic leather oil” but a few suggest general saddle oil. Anyway, here’s one I found:

1 Like

Talcum powder, though you will have to search for it. Since the J&J lawsuit talc has mostly been removed from most body powders.

1 Like