I think I want to be done, how do I safely sell my mare?

i’m one of those people that put aged and unfit horses out-to-pasture. I actually have ‘adopted’ 10 from a rescue. I ride four of them. There are a lot of people i know that just want a couple of horses out in their pasture grazing. All that i know of have 24/7 in and out access to a barn too. The only horses i bring in nowdays are mustangs. I’m totally into them now and not interested in bringing in domestics. But there are people who do. I think that putting an unsound horse into a riding situation is iffy. And could lead down the long road to increasingly rougher riding situations. If i were you, i would not feel very good about rehoming an unsound horse to anything other than pasture. But that’s just me. Don’t mean to make you feel bad or hurt feelings… sorry if i did.

1 Like

The OP’s horse is not unsound.

The OP is unsound.

6 Likes

You can sell this horse, as is. It can be done. You’ll take a bath and that is OK.

I managed to sell my mare. She wasn’t great to ride and was worse to drive. At the time she was sold, she was also barren. She’d been bred and never checked in foal; turned out she was in foal & had a filly 6 months after she was sold. I unloaded her for $500 and was thrilled. The guy I boarded her with got the deal done. I probably made $50 on the deal, at least that’s what it felt like after paying a commission ($100) and transferring the papers (I didn’t want to EVER see my name associated with her). The guy who bought her trail rode her.

In lieu of selling her, there were a couple times I did consider walking her over to the local meatpackers.

I wish you were closer! If she wanted to be a spoiled pasture pet she would fit in great for me! I have been considering getting back into having a couple at home, nothing has come up yet though, look around online if anyone needs a companion for their senior or single living alone horse?

Where are you located? Thanks for this. It’s nice to know there are people like you out there. I’ve spent thousand on training for this mare and I’m really trying to make it work. The boarding in my area is really difficult and I’ve come to the conclusion if I have to sell her or give her away to a loving home it’s because I can’t find suitable boarding. If I had my own property, it would be a no brainer.

1 Like

A car accident made me afraid to ride too. Ten years later I am still struggling with the fear and the injuries. I kept my horse but I feel like I’ve cheated her. It’s ok to sell her, you can buy another, maybe easier horse if you want to ride again later.

2 Likes

I also had a non-horse related accident that sapped my confidence, so I can relate.

I think the thing about losing one’s confidence, for whatever reason, is that it is easy to then make the horse and their issues into the big problem, when it’s not, it is actually us.

I think your horse could easily find a good home with the help of your trainer. She’s in work, she is sound, she is making progress and she’s the golden age of 9. Price her right and she will be quite desirable to a certain sector of the marketplace.

2 Likes

It seems like you believe she’d benefit from different management, ie more turnout
Personally I’d find a place morse suitable to her needs before I threw in the towel.
Even if you decide to sell her, these changes will benefit that choice to sell by making her a better prospect who finds a better landing.

Maybe at your present barn, maybe start looking for a Dressage barn.