Unlimited access >

I think it's time... Let's Meet, Part IV

Oh my goodness, unless the search feature is failing me, the last time we did this was in October 2000. It’s definitely time for a new Let’s Meet thread!

(If you need to catch up, you can read Let’s Meet, part 3, and find links to parts 1 and 2 there as well.)

I’ve posted this before, but what the hey… I’ll get everyone started.

I’m 27 (for another month), live in Annapolis, Md., and work for VetCentric, an online animal health care magazine as a reporter. Before that, I was the Chronicle’s West Coast correspondent in Arizona, and before that, I was an editorial staffer in the Middleburg office.

I have three beasties – Chief, a 9-year-old (going on 3-year-old) OTTB who’s eventing BN/Novice this fall; Rocky, a 24-year-old TB/App, now retired; and Bingo, a 34-year-old Appy pony I inheirited back from my parents in April, when our other pony had to be put down. And I also have a cranky 15-plus-year-old cat named Gus, who I found living under the porch of a house I rented in Upperville several years ago.

I’ve evented through prelim and am a B Pony Clubber. Other than horses, I’m into music and watching sports (football and basketball). Although since the horse family has multiplied, I haven’t had much time for either… or anything else, truth be told.

If that’s not enough dirt for ya, check my webpage: http://www.geocities.com/~eharty .

There… not so hard, is it? All right lurkers, come on out!!

My mom breeds chessies in Maryland! They are awesome dogs but smelly! I am trying to attach a picture of her youngest who does search and rescue.

Behind every good woman lies a trail of men

Hello. My name is Lilly and I’m addicted to the COTH.

Anyways, I have a bay, 10 year old, 16.3h TB gelding named Pete, or Wishful Thinking. I’ve been doing a lot of wishful thinking lately-maybe I should change his name? LOL! I started riding when I was 5, but have loved horses since the day I was born. I even trained my dog (Ellie May, a yellow lab) to jump when my parents said that I wasn’t old enough for a pony.

I got my first pony when I was 10. His name was Domino and he was a brown and white pinto large gelding who was totally incapable of doing lead changes. I did him in Young Entry and then Short Stirrup until I outgrew him and got my horse, Ben. Ben was an appendix QH gelding, 15 years old and the perfect horse to move from a pony onto. He was calm and sweet, and a total confidence builder-until he fractured his hock and was never really sound again. So, I traded him back to my trainer and got my darling Petey boy.

I’m a sophomore in highschool and I live in Raleigh, NC even though I’ll be going to school (starting Tuesday) in Alexandria, VA.

I show mostly on the C circuit in the 3’3 Junior/Amateur Hunters. When I make my occaisional venture to an A show, I do the Younger Childrens…Hopefully I will be moving up to the Large Juniors soon-If I can figure out what is going on with my horse… Ugh! I also do a little bit of equitation when I get the chance-but mostly little stuff like 12-14, the State Line, and a few local medals.

I’m going to be a doctor when I grow up and have the only hunter farm in Wyoming. I plan on being the next Dr. Quinn type and marrying my cowboy! I plan on going to Indio in the winter and heading down to Lake Tahoe for the HITS series down there. Hunters in Wyoming is possible-although the cowboy thinks I should try barrel racin! LOL!

I LOVE Tim Mcgraw-and pretty much all country music. Its good stuff! I also play soccer.

Well, thats about it y’all…

“And sometimes I don’t know why this old world can’t leave well enough alone” ~Tim Mcgraw

goes together! Actually, they are great dogs, but are very stubborn and certain lines are very aggressive. They need to be taught who is in charge early on and reminded of it quite often. Lately, as they have bred more curly coat into the breed, they have become quite skittish, but the good ones should be bold and good family protection dogs.

Behind every good woman lies a trail of men

Thought I’d throw a little intrigue into the mix…

35, SAHM of three, all of whom will be abandoning her come September; even my lovely Last Emperor, aka Sumo Toddler, is venturing off to Kindergarten next week, leaving me to roam about a house without children, musing to myself, ‘damn, if I could drive, I’d be riding right now’. Thankfully, my 16 mos. old black Lab will remain at home to lick my toes and beg for treats.

Worked for a decade in the entertainment industry; started to ride with my husband, “Hans”, and then-6-year-old daughter, at 30, at a lousy barn in Oakville, Ontario. Infected by the horsey bug from the get-go and our interests remain (as owner, hehe, not a rider) in jumpers.

Am mostly a fearful rider who, please, please, please, schedule permitting, attempts to combat the fears by climbing aboard a lovely TB jumper who indulges my nonsensical fears.

Current Life Contemplations include kicking the nicotine habit and a return to the Working World so that I may pee in peace.

Well…Hello! I’m one of the new additions brought out by Correne’s post. I’m a 34 y.o. critical care RN…Ahhh, let’s see. I have a 13 year old, 15.2 bay mare named Ellie who I have a complete blast on!!! Hopefully in the near future, we’ll make our horseshow debut.

Hmmmmm. I think I’m starting to get the “hang” of this posting thing!

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am a 22 year old senior in college. My major is equine science with a specialization in business.

My two equines are Rocky and Chrissy.

Rocky is a 13 year old, 16.3, gray Quarter Horse gelding. We competed in the side saddle division at AHSA shows and did such funs things as compete at indoors and march in the 2001 Presidential Inaugural Parade! Now he is retired from the show ring and putzes around at the college in the equine program. He is very content with his retirement :slight_smile:

Chrissy is a 15 year old, 15.3, bay Thoroughbred/Clydesdale mare. We compete in Novice Level eventing and have a blast! She is not really mine, but her owner basically lets me think she is! She has been my project since she had no eventing background when I started riding her a year ago. However, now she is an eventing super star!

There is also Oliver and Traveler, my fiance’s two horses who he events/evented. Olly being the baby and Trav the old man. And there’s Moses, our cat, who lives in the lap of luxury - he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Anyway, it’s great meeting all of you and your horses! It’s about time we had formal introductions again :slight_smile:

ok, I guess I shall introduce myself…

HI, My name is Nellie, I’m 15 years old. I have been riding since I was 4, but taking lessons since I was 6, thus the total years of riding would be 9 'n 1/2 years.

I have owned 4 horses in those years heres the info on all of them.

Previous Mounts:

Tramp- 8 y.o - pure white shetland/arab mare - w/t english and western and driving

Lady- 12 y.o- seal brown- welsh/arab mare- driving

“C Dale Scoot” aka Dale- 5 y.o- welsh cob gelding-
Dapple Grey- w/t/c jumped 3ft3- 13.2 hands

“Shogun” - 12 y.o.- Tb gelding- 17 Hands- bright chestnut- dressage/trail riding/ jumpers, jumped 3ft 9

CURRENT MOUNT:

“Drifters Sandy Bar” aka Sandy or B.W.- Apha reg. Tobiano Mare- 3 years old- hunters, bits and pieces of dressage, maybe event horse but definately Hunter.

Hunter Divisions:

Dale:
Special Junior Division
Pony Hunter Division

Sandy:
14 'n under Eq.
Suitable hunter u/s
Long stirrup eq.
Long stirrup hunter o/f
Long stirrup eq. o/f

Jumper Divison:

Shogun:

Puddle jumper
2ft9-3ft
3ft-3ft3
3ft3-3ft6
3ft6-3ft9

Dressage Divisions:

Dale:
training level
1st level

shogun:
training level
1st level- could of went 2nd or 3rd

How Dale got his name: “C Dale Scoot” was after “Dale C. Scott”

I’m Jen, now 32, and have been riding since age 11. Pony Club (B), dressage, eventing, games, etc. These days I have Hobson (Halo Way), a 4-year-old TB who will be doing his first baby novice schooling events this fall, and Rex (C Ty’s Prince), a 15-year-old appy whom I bought as a green 6-year-old, and rode through training level eventing along with a little bit of local unrated jumpers. Rex is now happily packing a 13-year-old pony clubber around.

I live in downtown Philadelphia with Mr Hobson, a bicycle racer and political scientist. We both work at Drexel University - I’m in the International Studies & Modern Languages department, where I do student advising, recruiting, development, curriculum stuff, and sometimes get roped into teaching. We have 4 cats - Morton, the Little Hermann (who is getting his own web site to display his collection of little baubles he finds outside), and Mowzy and Bug (the last two being the still-missing ones).

I don’t think I’ve ever posted on this topic before, so here goes.

My name is Margaret, I am 51 (no, not the oldest, but not by much ) and I manage software development projects. I used to show A/O and A/A hunters before I quit riding due to a hip injury. After a 10 year break, last year I got the urge to ride again and found a nice, safe, totally bomb-proof ex-police horse to get me going again. We mostly trail ride now, but plan on doing some hunter paces and if I get really brave, may actually try hill-topping. Rhett lives in a cushy barn 10 miles from my house.

My 3 elderly retirees live in my backyard. Or front yard depending on pasture rotation. One of them is actually capable of toting me around the show ring, but has made it perfectly clear that she prefers life as a pasture ornament.

Ducksoup, I live between Franklinton and Youngsville, 1/2 hr to 1 1/4 hr north of Raleigh depending on time of day/day of week and like the rest of the county, commute in every day.

Hi, my name is Genie and I’m a 25 year old living in NYC working in the financial information industry and I come here for my daily dose of horses. I have been riding since I was seven, but haven’t had a horse since I went to college. I fully admit, living in NYC and not having a horse, I live vicariously through all of you. I grew up in South Jersey and last showed my old OTTB in the Childrens’.

…but not yet eligible for birthday greetings from Willard Scott. I’ve been lurking for a looong time and just recently registered. Have loved horses all my life, but didn’t get to ride seriously until my 40s. Have done hunters and dressage, but right now I’m the owner of an aged bay hunter(hence the moniker)who’s living in retired splendor. I can only hope for such a good deal one of these days! Am looking for a fun, bomb-proof, half-lease to fill the days when I’m not working part-time, lurking, or exercising three enthusiastic beagles!

I’m Wicky, physician, small business owner, stepmom, wifey, owner of two cats, two horses, and a large old drafty leaking house on the ocean. I hit the big 5-0 this year but it’s better than the alternative!

My two boys - Sight Unseen, a 7 year old 17.1 had beautiful DWB that had to be restarted earlier this year, and now is doing pretty well - hasn’t reared for months, and was just a bit distracted at his first show (North Shore) doing just the warm-up two days ago. He’s very attractive, gray, and has just begin to lay down in his poop. Ugh. Why a big gray horse. When you can keep his attention on the jumps, he will jump anything. When you can’t keep his attention, he’ll jump it anyway, but it might be sideways! We work on forward, straight, and he’s taught me tons.

Optical Illusion, aka “Tiny” is an almonst 18 hand 5 year old DWB cross, out of Consul. He’s much more sensible than his “brother” except he loves to give a big buck when cars come up behind him. As pretty as his brother is, Tiny is sort of dorky looking - huge ears, skinny long bod, a little behind at the knees… but a heart of gold. He just came back from the dressage trainer after a year of basic flatwork (I felt at 4 he was too gangly and immature to be jumping) and he really loves to jump now! He seems to find the distance - at least to the small jumps we are doing (can you tell I had a GREAT lesson this morning?

Somehow missed this between starting school and acquiring a really nasty case of the flu–nothing like talking for 2.5 hours with a really nasty sore throat. I teach chemistry at a community college

My name is my name. I’m 46 and an actual native Southern Californian. I’ve done some of everything-- jumpers, eq, hunters, eventing, dressage. Three of my four horses have been bay TB geldings; the other was a palomino mare. I got my current TB through 4th level dressage before he went mysteriously lame on and off for about 2 years. He’s been reasonably sound (with maintenance) for the last year, but I haven’t managed to show since he’s managed to do something to himself just as entries close.

My other furry creature is a calico cat, named for a god of chaos. She is currently making really strange noises somewhere in the house. We live in what realtors call a “Spanish revival bungalow,” all 984 glorious square feet of it. I could probably sell it and buy a small farm in other parts of the country.

Her East Coast Husband

Thank you for posting or I would have never seen this thread!!

My name is Angela and I am an addict. A Caramello addict that is (that’s what my co-workers tell me anyway!!) I am also a habitual BB lurker. I ocassionally post, but usually just read. But I am going to try to join the ranks of real BBers!!

I have a coming 7yo (in May) Old/TB cross that wants to be a big eq horse. Unfortunately I am way too old and way too short for the eq divisions!! Oh well, he’ll have to cope! I also dabble in breeding occassionally - it’s where my heart really is. I live in Lexington, KY and hate it here!! This weather is killing me!! I was in CA for 3+ years and I miss “Sunny and 70” every day!!

Let’s see… I have 2 dogs - Kinsella (hence the name) and Milli (Bristol Whippet and Corgi respectively).

And while this topic has returned… What does everyone like OTHER THAN horses? Me - Hockey and Baseball And movies and music…

Life is what happens while you are busy making plans.

Since it looked like everyone was having so much fun, I decided I needed to join!

My name is Catherine and I’m almost 32. I have been riding since I was 10, with a long break over the past 9 years. I started to ride again about a year ago to save my sanity and get into shape.

I’m currently horseless, I just ride whatever comes along. I also like to snow ski thanks to my hubby.

I have been married for 4 1/2 years and have a dog (Katie) and a cat (Toby 2 Tone).

In real life I am a real estate developer/broker. In my fantasy life, I work at my own farm, have a tack store and play with horses, cats and dogs all day.

Thanks!

Maybe on the head, MissXani…

Miniwelsh–

The pups actually came with my fiance. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old both are males. They can in fact be stinky and they are extremely protective of their family. I am used to growing up with golden retrievers and going from the goldens to the chessies has been a HUGE change for me. I didn’t think it would be. My fiance is trying to push getting a 3rd so I dare not tell him about your Mom!

Howdy, my name’s Rachel, I have one horse–the notorious Big Whitey, aka Sam-- that I showed in the AA’s. I love him more than anything in the world; unfortunately he’s in Va with my mom while I rot in graduate school in Indiana. I got a B.S. in Animal Sciences at Va Tech (Hokies rule, Cavaliers suck!) and am working on a PhD in reproductive physiology/developmental biology at Purdue. Right now I’m not really showing since grad school has taken over my life like a giant, blood-sucking amoeba, but I’m riding with a couple of great trainers up here and am getting to ride some fun ponies, so I can’t complain too much I guess. I have two kitties, the Dumpster Diva and Spike, who are charming and maniacal in about equal proportions.

Lovely to meet y’all.