Unlimited access >

I want my pre-pandemic horse back!

Before the pandemic hit, my little project horse was going nicely. I was looking forward to doing some starter events in the summer! A year later after several lockdowns, severely curtailed barn time, an injury to her, an injury to me, insanity at work, etc. etc. my “almost ready for prime time” pony is a pudgy, herd-bound hot mess who would like me to believe she’s never seen a pole on the ground, much less a jump.

I know it’s fixable, and in the grand scheme of things, small potatoes to complain about in a pandemic, but…anyone else feel like they’ve take about 500 steps backwards in their training this year?

10 Likes

YUP. Not for pandemic reasons, but worst-abscess-ever reasons and being in a less than ideal interim boarding situation for a few months after where we were shut down.

At a great facility now, abscess healed and starting to get back in to work, but mare’s stifles seem to have gotten very weak while off work and the occasional falling out behind is driving me nuts. I’ve decided to step it waaaaaay back and focus on strengthening her and look at it as an opportunity to focus on my own riding so we’re both better by the time she’s ready for serious work again.

I’ve discovered I’ve developed a really cool (not) habit of scrunching up my right leg when giving an aid, putting my weight in my left seatbone and making her crooked. So I’ve been focusing on my position and how I ask for things.

I totally feel your pain. But I’m trying to think of it as back to basics to come out even better.

3 Likes

Not so much pandemic, but spring grass --Rock Solid 25 year old gelding decided he was 3 again --it has taken about 5 days of “harder” work to bring his mind back to his body (little bucks, bolting, fake rears) --this is a yearly thing with him —usually a week of pony-ing (briskly, getting that heart rate up) will bring him around. He was spot on Saturday.

2 Likes

For me it was a sudden cascade of auto-related expenses, pandemic was the frosting on top.
My every-other-week lessons plummeted to none.
No excuses, as my horses are at home & I have an indoor.
But with age (mine) weather (I am a Wuss) & etcetera, it was nearly a year since I got on my horse if you don’t count sitting on him bareback, piddling around for all of 20min.
About a month ago, I invited a friend over - so someone could call 911 - saddled up & found I still had pretty much the same horse.
Since then I have ridden by myself - again the 20min W/T Nothing Special - but see above for Wuss Factor. Spring has been unusually cold here. Until we get steady 60s I cannot seem to get myself motivated.

OTOH, I have driven my mini with my Club. 2H at a County Park that maintains trails for us.
His 1st time in harness since last year. Not a glitch apparent, he was all Business As Usual.
Sunday will be a Fun Day at the nearby Fairgrounds with the Club.
I debated taking the horse & riding, but will probably opt for the mini & drive.

2 Likes

Me! End of 2019, my youngster was going like a peach, ready to canter under saddle. Gave him the winter off and due to all the things that happened in 2020, never really got into a solid groove that year, lots of breaks. He does not pick up where he left off when given a break - we’re right back to remedial skills every time. Usually I enjoy the greenie stage and don’t mind taking it slow, but this feels like the movie groundhog day and it’s a bit much :joy:

3 Likes

OMG this!!! Perfect.

Thanks so much for your tales of woe, everyone – I hate to say they make me feel better, but they actually do make me feel better. :wink:

Yesterday we got halfway up the driveway and I only fell off once when she backed into a fence and went straight up like a bottle rocket… I guess that’s progress…?

I think I’m too old for this…

thanks for the commiseration!

1 Like

Oh dear! At least you survived to tell the tale.

It really does feel like going backwards sometimes, I hope yours comes back around quick! I ended up putting in an extra long ride today, no theatrics like yours, just wanting to go around like a llama. :roll_eyes: Stiff as a board.

2 Likes

Ooh board-llama — I’ve ridden that horse. Fun!

Today we got up the driveway no problem! And we can walk and trot over poles. Cantering poles is a flying leap and fall apart mentally and physically afterwards, so I guess walking and trotting poles is on the menu for a while.

This horse is so endearing because she has a ton of try but a whackload of anxieties as well. I feel like her internal monologue is “OMG WHAT WAS THAT!!! omg are you mad at me now? I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, please don’t be mad, are you sure you’re not mad? Are you sure? Are you sure? I’m really trying, can I do this instead? Are you sure you’re not mad? Ok, ok, ok, ok… OMG WHAT WAS THAT!!!” I feel like every ride is just trying to sloooow down her brain. I think she’s smart but not really good at extrapolation — why is a leg yield at a canter no problem, but omg put a pole on the ground and she’s back to baby-horse tangle-legs… sigh. It’s a journey, right?

1 Like

I want my pre-pandemic body back! Horse is fine but a year of lockdown, stress eating and remote schooling has not been kind to my waistline. At least there’s more of me keeping my horse on the ground!

3 Likes