Unlimited access >

I want to breed my mare. Is she even worth breeding?

[QUOTE=ivy62;8929602]
At our barn they bred 4 babies in different years but they will never have another owner even if they turn out to be trail horses.[/QUOTE]

While a true intent, one never knows where the future may lead and someone these horses may need to be re-homed for a variety of reasons. It helps a bit if a horse as a value with some career (and maybe trailing rider for a new owner is it :slight_smile: ).

My opinion has always been if I breed a horse it is with me for life. I have two that I bred and raised from the moment of conception. I would never breed to sell. Too many out there already. So that’s my opinion!

Your mare has some nice bloodlines. If you love her and want a foal out of her FOR YOU, I say go for it. If you intend to sell, there are thousands of horses out there needing homes already.

That’s not to say that even if you intend to keep the foal that you don’t do everything humanly possible to ensure they go to a good home if something happens and you can’t keep them. IOW, make sure they are a good citizen with good training, handling, manners, etc. so if the worst should happen, they will go to a good home and not the auction.

Thank you everyone for your input. I just wanted to say, I would be keeping both forever. I have a farm and I have 2 others that I have owned since I bought them when they were 2. They are 20 and 15 now.None of them are going anywhere. I agree that there are plenty of horsespace out there that I could save and give a great home to. I have bought 3 other ottbs and owned them until they were in their late 20’s. I just never owned a mare before. Or a horse this talented. And I own an amazing preliminary warmblood. She gets 18’s in dressage. And a blast to jump. So, there is a big part of me that wants to not breed her and just keep riding her. Who knows, she could be my 4* dream horse I’ve been waiting for. I just disn’t know if her bloodlInes where worth breeding. BUT I know that can be a crap shoot as well. Thank you everyone for your advice. I have a lot to think about. Thanks again!! And kick on!! :slight_smile:

I do like her bloodlines, both top and bottom. K