Unlimited access >

I want to breed my mare. Is she even worth breeding?

Hi, I really want to breed my mare. But is she even worth breeding? And if she is, who should I breed her to? Who would be a good stud? It won’t let me post her pedigree :frowning:
Her name is “With Kim’s Help” out of Awesome Again.
Thank :slight_smile:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=8549181

What are your breeding goals??

Race horse, sport horse ??

Event horse. :slight_smile:

She’s BY Awsone Again and OUT OF a Storm Cat daughter.

IF you have the money, time and patience to wait 4 years to even have an inkling of what her baby can do (and it would be a foal if 2018 not ready to break until late 2020 and use much until 2021-2022. You need to select a stud based on proven Sport Horse potential in their offspring. Don’t get sidetracked by glamorous, famous names on the racetrack-those are going to cost more too and most are not available AI, mare has to travel- Its an expensive date.

You should post this over on the Eventing Forum for suggestions, maybe the Sporthorse Breeding Forum too. Personally, if breeding for an Eventer? Might look at a WB or WB Tb cross that has competed in Eventing or put offspring on the ground that have had good success Eventing.

Also, personally, I’d put the money for breeding, waiting, foaling and waiting years minimum into a nice colt or filly already on the ground- that’s a lot of training bills for something you can see and use in less then 3-4 years.

Breeding your mare is not risk free for her, resulting offspring could be a dud and join the huge population of mediocre horses populating low end auctions and other sketchy situations…not through any intent or action of the breeders but because most can’t keep them 30 years if they don’t work out as planned. Or their lives change and they can’t keep horses at all and can’t find buyers for mediocre horses with no oarticular talent or skill set. Don’t create another one of those horses.

it depends on what she looks like and if she is athletic: pictures and a video would help.

I would love to post pictures. I dont no why I can’t on here. But she is super athletic. Amazing dressage and jumper. Big strided. Always get speed faults on cross country. She’s little but mighty. I’m so in love with her.

You can’t post photos directly without a paid account. You’d have to link to a site like flickr.

And I second, ask on the Sport Horse Breeding forum.

If she is that great why are you breeding her instead of riding her?

[QUOTE=AwesomeDiscover09;8928024]
I would love to post pictures. I dont no why I can’t on here. But she is super athletic. Amazing dressage and jumper. Big strided. Always get speed faults on cross country. She’s little but mighty. I’m so in love with her.[/QUOTE]

If she is getting speed faults she is not competing at a level that would prove her value as breeding stock. I’d consider competing her until her performance is on a level that gives her value as a brood mare.

I feel with how sweet and athletic she is, she would make a great baby. I am planning on doing the upper levels with her. This was her 2nd show season this year. So, I’m hoping nexr year to take her prelim or higher. I think your right “yourcolorfuladdiction”, to have her be a proven upper level horse before breeding her to make her worthy breeding stock. Unfortunately I don’t know much about the breeding industry but I do want to breed her to another TB. So I thought racing forum would be the best place.

Since she’s sweet and athletic, why not just enjoy her for herself? Why do you want to breed her? What are your goals for the foal? “Make a great baby” makes no sense. Will she PRODUCE a great eventer?

[QUOTE=AwesomeDiscover09;8928777]
I feel with how sweet and athletic she is, she would make a great baby. I am planning on doing the upper levels with her. This was her 2nd show season this year. So, I’m hoping nexr year to take her prelim or higher. I think your right “yourcolorfuladdiction”, to have her be a proven upper level horse before breeding her to make her worthy breeding stock. Unfortunately I don’t know much about the breeding industry but I do want to breed her to another TB. So I thought racing forum would be the best place.[/QUOTE]

Your highest dollar warmblood is the price of your cheapest TB stallion. If you want a TB, it might be easier to cross her on a WB with a high percentage TB that is doing what you are hoping the foal to do. Like WFP’s mount Chilli Morning whose sire is the TB Phantomic and whose dam is Brandenburg. TBs for race and TBs for sport are two very different creatures, so knowing that you’re intending to breed for sport, you can’t breed to a racing sire. In fact, there is more incentive to cross on a WB as they are cheaper and their conformation is built for sport. Sport horse breeders are also willing and able to tell you what your horse’s conformation will cross well on.

Awesomediscover09- If you are looking for a Tb event sire, there maybe some frozen left from A Fine Romance. Lovely event stallion and has produced some lovely eventers. Jessica Phoenix is riding A little romance at 3* and 4* level. He has since passed away but Fred on this board was his owner and may still have some frozen. Also, she is in Canada and he is proven…
Good Luck

Do not breed. Too many TB going to slaughter because they need a safe home…adopt…what if your mare you love had complications and you lost her??? Lots to consider

My immediate response to the title of this thread is “no, she’s not worth breeding.” The only thing I know about breeding is that it is a crapshoot. There’s metric ton of horses, some even better than yours, that need homes. Get one of them.

Actually, from a sport perspective, she has some lines that would be nice to see carried on, and some lines that have done very well when paired with certain WB lines.

She has just about every stallion you want to see for athleticism in TBs; her damside is spectacular and I’d be very happy with that pedigree. With that pedigree, I believe the OP that the mare is athletic.

IF she was sound, and IF she was a better than average mover, and IF she proved she was rideable and athletic enough for sport, and IF she had valuable and good conformation, and IF you fully intended to keep the mare and foal for the duration of their lives…

However, OP, your ‘presentation’ is doing you no favors and you will receive harsh feedback because of it. It’s better to frame these questions thoughtfully, while detailing out the information on your mare: her age, her level of competition, intended discipline, her height, her conformation, her weaknesses and areas you want improvement, her pedigree… Etc. Lots of people come on here that are tirekickers or teenagers enamored with their horse, and they are sharply and quickly put down. You sound either very young or just naive, both of which are okay – but keep in mind that these posters are right too: if your mare is truly average, why add to the surplus of unwanted horses out there?

Breeding is an expensive endeavor, and it’s not without its risks or complications on the mare: you could very well lose her. Are you prepared for that? Do you have a big hefty fund of savings set aside? You will need at least $10k - and that’s before factoring in the stud fee. That will cover your vet examinations, insemination, and some emergent farm calls - as well as any extras the mare might need when foaling… Have you ever had experience with a foal? Do you have a trainer that could help you? Foal raising is not for the average ammy; you need to raise the foal right – from both a nutritional and a training standpoint – otherwise you very well might end up with another useless and unrideable animal.

I would be interested in video and pictures. What level is she competing presently? Is she competitive? What needs improvement? Are you happy with a carbon copy?

If Rather Well is still standing in Canada, he’s a full TB who competed at the ULs in eventing. I don’t know how well his offspring, if any, have done, but he’d be worth investigating. http://www.pedigreequery.com/rather+well

Also, FWIW, there is a TB stallion in Virginia named Xenodon. He was a chaser, and one of his offspring just won the Steeplethon at on Virginia Gold Cup day this year.

The third race on the undercard for the International Gold Cup, the steeplethon is a unique race offered at only a few meets. It is comprised of a variety of timber, hurdle and water jumps over a 3-mile course.

Those would seem to me to be promising genes for an event horse.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/xenodon

There are two TB stallions approved by the American Hanoverian Society. Sea Lion xx is approved through his eventing performance. I saw him when he was presented, and he is very attractive with a super jump. http://www.ruffianstables.com/sea-lion-about/ Sea Accounts xx is another approved by the AHS for his eventing prowess: http://www.debracysporthorses.com/DeBracy_Sport_Horses/Home.html
Nobody can tell you whether you should or shouldn’t breed her. Logically it always makes more sense to go out and buy a foal on the ground or a horse already doing when you want to do, but emotionally, if you have a mare you love, day dreaming about the what-iffs is very addictive. Ask me how I know…

I have to agree that if you are breeding for your own and to keep go a head. If not get something already out there.
At our barn they bred 4 babies in different years but they will never have another owner even if they turn out to be trail horses. They own the barn do the training themselves so the cost is minimal compared to most.
Can you support something that may not be an eventer?