Unlimited access >

I would like to hear from older Dressage riders, 45 and up.

I have a website called Dressageforamateurs.com that I created a few years back. I originally had a page called Amateur hour that I interviewed Amateurs of all ages, but now I would like to profile older Dressage riders specifically, actually this was an idea that came from a gal here on one of my threads I posted for my dressageforjuniors website. I have much success with my Rider of the Month for my Dressageforjuniors website, it is so much fun to read the interviews.
If you would like to be profiled, please send me a message so that I can send you a list of Interview questions. I will need a short bio of yourself and also some pictures. Thanks everyone!!

Sigh, this reminds me that I am, indeed, “older.” A category that sort of sneaked up on me. I still am not quite sure how that happened. Seems I was 42 just the other day. . . .

Yes, age seems to come rather quickly these days! lol.

I’m sure I’m not the demographic you have in mind, but I’m 46 and I just bought a green mare whom I’ll make into my first dedicated dressage horse. You can interview me if you think I’d be helpful. But again I warn you: I’m not the average dressage ammy you might have in mind.

Well, I was 62 when I bought an unstarted 2.5 year old. He’s coming 11 now and schooling 3rd level (we’ve taken it slowly and there was almost two years of light work due to an injury to him, then one to me), but we don’t have changes yet. Sigh. Haven’t really tried - something I gotta do this year!! Where did the time go?

I don’t think 45 is OLDER! Holy moly, 70 is older, 45 is right in the middle. I’m 50 now, and still riding. I admit, I’m stiffer and less strong then I was at 35, and MUCH less interested in risking my life and limb. I won’t start babies anymore, but I’d like to think I’m not yet OLD!

45 is OLDER? Compared to what? Pfffft

Stiffer. Not as supple. Won’t deal with nutjobs any more.

When I bought my guy, I wasn’t so foolish as to start him myself. I sent him to a cowgirl. She said he was “easy,” but when daylight savings ended, riding at night, in the cold and the wind…not so easy. He’s come a long way, though. My mistake was in assuming that since he was an Appaloosa (I’ve owned four of them), he would be naturally calm and laid-back. Y’know, I really should have paid attention to the fact that his sire was a purebred, Trakhener-approved Arabian. He’s…sensitive/reactive. LOL On the plus side, besides being a lovely mover, he certainly (in a hurry!) improved my seat. I had evented through Prelim, but in the two years before I bought him, I did nothing but trail ride on my “old reliable,” whom I retired after buying this Araloosa. My seat had gone to pot. I got it back in a hurry, but not before hitting the ground a few times!

Isn’t 70 the new forty?

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL OVERCOME YOUTH AND SKILL

[QUOTE=mjhco;7984011]
OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL OVERCOME YOUTH AND SKILL[/QUOTE]

Towandaaaaa!

45 is older? LOL I’m 62 and my newest horse should be born in less than three months. I’ve bred and started my own my entire life, and this one I’ll start under saddle the year I can retire. It “might” be my last one, but I’ll still be riding it when I’m 80 Use it or lose it!

Isn’t 70 the new forty?
Gawd, I hope so.

I do upwards of 30 surgeries a day and come home to ride my little guys. I’m 51 and still backing/starting my young stock. When someones says ‘older’ I still look around thinking they must be referring to someone else :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=exvet;7984212]
I do upwards of 30 surgeries a day and come home to ride my little guys. I’m 51 and still backing/starting my young stock. When someones says ‘older’ I still look around thinking they must be referring to someone else :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

I keep dying my hair, and darn it, no one gets up and gives me a seat on the commute train. (I still work full time.)

Everyone has to get older, but you can stay immature forever!

I’m 61, have an awesome “old lady’s horse” who may or may not be my last one. He’s for sure the best horse I’ve ever owned. I’m afraid to buy another one because I don’t think there’s another horse to top the current guy.

Hats off to Sandy M! If the Figman lasts another 10 years, I’ll still be riding, too. And perhaps beyond that if the right horse catches my attention.

[QUOTE=not again;7983995]
Isn’t 70 the new forty?[/QUOTE]

Cool. That would make me 20.

I appreciate everyone replying to my thread, it was not intended to offend anyone. I’m 57 and yes I am older. lol. I am editing a new page on my dressageforamateurs website and just wanted to make sure there would be an interest from riders over 45. I will profile a different rider every month, it is so much fun to read about each individuals journey! Thanks again for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

[QUOTE=dressageforjuniors;7983272]
I have a website called Dressageforamateurs.com that I created a few years back. I originally had a page called Amateur hour that I interviewed Amateurs of all ages, but now I would like to profile older Dressage riders specifically, actually this was an idea that came from a gal here on one of my threads I posted for my dressageforjuniors website. I have much success with my Rider of the Month for my Dressageforjuniors website, it is so much fun to read the interviews.
If you would like to be profiled, please send me a message so that I can send you a list of Interview questions. I will need a short bio of yourself and also some pictures. Thanks everyone!![/QUOTE]

that’s me, baby! started riding Dressage when I was 50. oh, and I noticed people from all walks ask if I have grandkids I want to bring to their events!

I am knocking at the door of your threshold, I will be 45 in April. I received my Gold medal this past year on my OTTB who was 18 at the time.