Unlimited access >

I would like to hear from older Dressage riders, 45 and up.

I’m turning 46 today and my mother and I both event and do lower level dressage, along with my daughter (age 12). That’s right, this year we had three generations all doing recognized events. I did the Prelim Challenge on my Connemara/TB mare and also won the Masters First level division at my first recognized USDF show last sprng, albeit mainly because it was a very small division and my mare can lengthen. My mother (age 63) is competing at novice level eventing (but getting ready to move up to Training!), and my daughter just did her first two recognized events. We also have two homebred Oldenburg babies and I’m looking forward to starting our Devon Heir filly in two years. I’m also contemplating showing my daughter’s Welsh/Morgan large pony in the USDF Dressage Pony divisions this year.

I’ll chime in. I’m 51 and still showing/training/teaching/breeding horses like I did in my 20’s. I have a small breeding business and bred two mares last year. I am expecting one of those foals to be my next Olympic partner ;-). I have several 3yo’s, 2yo’s and 1yo’s coming up the pipeline. I still buy, sell and trade and seems like the economy is definitely picking up. The only thing I don’t do anymore is get on the young ones first time. I pay someone else to start them now. That was the most difficult thing for me because I like starting my own. I don’t plan to stop any other part of it anytime soon because of my age.

[QUOTE=not again;7983995]
Isn’t 70 the new forty?[/QUOTE]

God I hope so… (sitting at 55)