Unlimited access >

ID that attaches to saddle?

There are some lovely trails near my barn, which my horse and I thoroughly enjoy, usually by ourselves. While I always ride out with my phone and ID on me, I’d also like to be able to attach something to the saddle. That way, if I perform an involuntary demonstration of Newtonian physics, we have a better chance of being reunited more quickly. (He might stop. He might try to head home. But he also might encounter another rider or walker on the trail, or decide that the grass really is greener in someone else’s backyard.)

I’ve got an English saddle. What can I clip to a D-ring that’s sturdy and won’t be in the way?

2 Likes

I have one of these round bridle tags on my horse’s bridle. It simply has my cell phone number on it. You could get one of these and simply attach it to the D ring of your saddle.

Edit to add link that I forgot to paste before:

2 Likes

a small luggage tag. I think some are quite waterproof.
or a dog tag.

2 Likes

I use a small tag like others have mentioned but a friend uses one of these, it’s more noticeable but still small. You can write info inside it and clip to the saddle: https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Sierra_View_Ranch_ICE_Nylon_Tack_Scissor_Clip-On/descpage-SVRICO.html

2 Likes

I have these on all my halters, saddles, breast collars, and head stalls.

Different sizes, they don’t rust, last forever and are relatively inexpensive when you consider how long they last!

3 Likes

This is what I’ve been using for years.

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Sierra_View_Ranch_ICE_UltraLite_Carabiner_Clip-On/descpage-SVRICCO.html

2 Likes

Like @cutter99, I have round stainless tags on my saddles and on all my rope halters.

3 Likes

I use a luggage tag in a plastic sleeve that I bought at WalMart. It has room for my name, my horse’s name, my address, my phone number, and my husband’s phone number (in case I’m incapacitated). It’s cheap and inelegant, but it works.

3 Likes

Thank you all! I appreciate all the great suggestions.

I ride western but I use a luggage tag on my saddle and I also have an index card in my saddle/horn bags that has my name and phone number in case I were to loose them, someone could look through them and find my info.

I had a friend loose her saddle bags one time and she didn’t have any identification in them but as fate would have it, I met a lady who was hiking when I was out riding and she asked me if I lost my saddle bags and I told her no, but my friend did. So we had a funny conversation about what was in them (including feminine hygiene items my friend never mentioned she carried) because she wanted to make sure I could identify them and knew the rightful owner. So I was able to get the saddle bags reunited with my riding buddy. :slight_smile: So ever since then, I try to put my name and phone number in any saddle bags I might carry in case they come off somewhere.

I have also had horses run off out on rides and it was questionable if we could catch them again, hence the luggage tags on the saddles.

3 Likes

You can also braid an ID tag into the mane in case the saddle comes off too.

2 Likes

I have this tag on my saddle with message “this loose belongs to my name & number, ditto husbands and my vet clinic.”

I wear the wrist ID they sell when I am riding.

2 Likes

I bought an ID tag at Petco and using their engraving machine I have his name on one side and my name and phone on the other. I attached it to his halter with a small zip tie. Total cost - $10. I could do the same with my saddle but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

2 Likes

I add a friend’s phone number to a small round dog tag that’s attached to the bridle. I also wear a runners shoe tag on me with the ICE info.

3 Likes

Get a dog tag from the machine at petsmart and attract it to
Your saddle. Works great.

1 Like