Unlimited access >

Ideas - Cat with high temperature, not eating, but . .

After a little research and a talk with the vet, we’re going to lower the dosage of his meds. The top 2 side effects are loss of appetite and depression - which he has, in spades. We may have to switch to something else. He doesn’t seem to be tolerating this one well. He did gain 2oz since his last visit, somehow …

1 Like

Jingles this change in dosage brings on the ‘hungry’.
Did you discuss the appetite stimulant ? It worked nicely for two of my cats when they were taking stomach upsetting meds.
Jingles & AO !

1 Like

He’s been on the stimulant for a week and a half, I think - but it does nothing for him. It did early on, but not at all this week.

Sorry it hasn’t helped this week.

Jingles &AO continue for your boy.

Canter on ! Cothers sending prayers !

1 Like

I hope you and the vet can figure out something to help Nigel feel better. And I hope the results of the blood test are good. You’re doing all you can for him. It just sucks when you don’t know what is needed to help them. Thinking the best for you and Nigel!

1 Like

I hope the change in dosage and/or meds is the turning point for Nigel.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the continued good wishes!

The vet texted this morning and said that Nigel ate about 1/8 cup of dry food last night! That’s probably more than he’s eaten in the past week. It’s not as much as either of us had hoped for, but the vet said he’s being vocal and hopefully by tweaking the dosage, or switching him to something else, we can get him back to eating.

5 Likes

Thank you for this update ~ made my day !

Come on Nigel ~ eat eat eat !

Jingles & AO !!!

1 Like

Wonderful news! I hope the trend continues!

Is he going to stay at the vet for another day or two or does he get to come home?

1 Like

My plan is to leave him here at least a few days longer to make sure we’re on the right path. Let him get his appetite back, and let us figure out the dosage, and then he can come home.

ETA: I meant he can stay at the vet for a few days - I was actually at the vet when I was typing that, with another of my cats who is apparently in early congestive heart failure. I can’t even anymore.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! How old is he?

I am so sorry! You and your kitties have really been through it lately! :hugs:

1 Like

I understand, as I have been AND continue to be “where” you are with horses and cats.

While it’s a heartbreaking part of ‘partnership’ ~ there’s nothing better than sharing an entire lifetime with a cat or horse.

Jingling for more time for all of you to be together at home ~ the ZZ gang

3 Likes

When it rains, it pours. :roll_eyes: The universe should let things calm down with Nigel before it gives you something else deal with.

Hoping for you that Nigel continues to eat and improve. And that the problem with the other kitty can be managed for a long time.

2 Likes

Beth is either 9 or 10 - I think she’s 9. I lost her sibling/cousin/some relative or other last year to heart failure, too, so when I saw she wasn’t breathing correctly this weekend, I figured that’s what it was. But she was still eating and bright and active. The breathing, the vet says, is caused by her retaining water, which is a hallmark of heart issues, so she got an injectable diuretic, and she has another she’ll be on daily from now on, I guess.

She and Angel (the one I lost last year) came from a hoarding situation, and all those cats were related in some way or another, so I’m guessing it’s hereditary. I have another who is about 11 who hasn’t shown any signs of problems yet, but since he came from the same place, I will be watching him pretty closely.

Right? I could deal with them one at a time, but the all-at-once approach is probably not the right one, universe! :slight_smile:

Thanks for continued jingles. Everyone can use them!

You’re right; there really is nothing better than sharing our lives with our animals. It’s just that making the hard decisions never gets any easier. But it’s the price we pay for them.

3 Likes

Thinking of the A&B gang ~ wishing you an easier and healthier 2021 !

Jingles &AO

((hugs)) laced with strength and patience ~

2 Likes

Thanks!

Beth is doing well - the diuretics seem to be helping her breathing, and she’s eating just fine. :slight_smile:

Nigel is still at the vet - he’s very vocal! In fact, I called on Tuesday to check on him, and the vet was standing next to his cage while we chatted. I heard a ‘meow!’ and Carson (my vet) said “That’s him! Do you hear him?” I said, “Hey, Nigel!” and suddenly MEOW MEOW MEOW!! Carson said he came to the front of the cage and started talking as close to the phone as he could get. :slight_smile: We’re hoping the test results come in today - the vet wants to talk to the lab about his dosage of the antifungals and the best course of action. He’s eating - not well, but he IS eating - so he may get to come home today.

1 Like

Great news on both kitties! Go Nigel! Keep eating! :cat:

2 Likes

Jingles everyone is home for NY Eve !

2 Likes