Unlimited access >

Ideas - Cat with high temperature, not eating, but . .

Is the Intra the anti fungal medicine? How much longer does he have to stay on it?

I’m glad he’s home and eating a little bit. Hope he keeps doing better. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So glad to hear he’s at least a little interested! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Yes, the Intra is the antifungal, sorry! He will be on an antifungal for at least 2 more months - if we can get him to eat, anyway.

Cats can’t go without eating. I think they get pancreatitis within 2 days but I could be remembering wrong. I know it is critical they eat daily, even something. I am wondering if kitty isn’t maybe getting a low level pancreatitis as that causes them to hump up in pain.

You’re thinking of hepatic lipidosis, I think. It’s more of a risk for cats with a lot of body fat, not quite as much of a concern for young ones like this.

Given he’s been under very close veterinary supervision, hopefully that has been considered.

So happy to hear he’s perking up! Be sure to feed only lactose-free milk (or goat milk or Catsure). Lactose can cause digestive issues. Paws crossed for more good news.

That’s it. Thank God it’s been awhile since I’ve had a sick kitty. Our 21 year old passed away 4 years ago and now we have 3 young males running around.

He’s not doing so well tonight. He goes back tomorrow for subQ’s and antibiotics. We’ll see what the vet says. It’s clear he doesn’t feel well. At all. I need to get more food in him tonight but he’s barricaded himself under my dresser. Getting him out is almost impossible.

I’m so sorry for both of you. It’s heartbreaking to see them feel so bad. It makes you feel so helpless. I really hope the fluids and the antibiotics will help him feel better. Hugs and thinking of you and Nigel. :heart:

1 Like

Do you have any pain medication for him?

No. All I have is some Veraflox.

Please consider asking for some when you go to the vet.

I think both you and he would be feeling some better tonight if he had something on board. Better to have it and not need it, than the reverse.

I consider it a quality of life issue for my kitty. My vet gives me oral buprenorphrine for him.

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/Documents/pharmacy-buprenorphine.pdf

1 Like

I’m so sorry. It’s so hard when they don’t feel good and aren’t improving and won’t cooperate with us at home.

Many jingles for Nigel and you.

1 Like

Jingles & AO !

Stay calm for Nigel ~

If he has to stay at the vet - ask that he gets a top level ‘apartment’ and that they hang a towel or ? on the front of the unit to make him feel safe & hidden - should be a item that smells like home.

Come on Nigel !!! from the ZZ gang !

2 Likes

Awwww, buddy :frowning: When I look up his antifungal, the #1 side effect is nausea. Can you hit him harder with the anti nausea meds? If he’s not on zofran (here are images, a typical cat dose is 1 mg or 1/4 of a people tablet) it might be worth pushing to give that a try. I’ve never had a vet offer it initially, but they’ve all been willing to rx once I’ve asked. It does pair really nicely with cerenia, which seems to be the more common go-to anti-nausea in vet medicine. Pain meds can also cause nausea, so that might not be a great idea.

I hope things turn around soon. He sure sounds like a fighter :heart:

1 Like

Yeah, I know. He’s at the vet now getting the injectable antifungal and subQ’s and antinausea meds. They are running on a skeleton staff, but I talked to the vet this morning and he agreed we need to pull Nigel off the Intra altogether and go with the injectable and the Cerenia for now,n and hope it works. He clearly just can’t tolerate the Intra.

3 Likes

I hope he feels better soon. Poor little guy.

2 Likes

I think he’s feeling a little better - he came home drank some water, and was very interested in the food I offered - he mostly just licked the gravy, but I will take it. :slight_smile:

This means taking him in on a MWF schedule for the meds, as they have to be given in subQ’s, but that’s okay. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sounds like a plan !

Moving forward !

Jingles & AO !!!

1 Like

Yay Nigel! Fingers crossed that this will be the answer. I hope he’s still eating and drinking and feeling better.

1 Like