Unlimited access >

Ideas for healing raw dog nose

My dog has removed a lot of the skin off her nose burying various dead animals, digging and sunbathing. I’ve tried putting zinc or zinc based sunscreen on it for months. She just licks it off and has made it worse from licking.

Any ideas how to heal it? Leaving her inside is not an option She’s a total farm dog and would be miserable.

Thanks

How old is your dog ? My shepherd did the same and it was cancer. He was 11.

She’s 7. It’s definitely from burying groundhogs and w her nose and chasing squirrels into plastic pipes etc. She just never lets it heal. But maybe I should go to the vet to see if it turns into cancer :flushed:

Sorry didn’t mean to worry you. The nose can often be a site of squamous cell cancer in older dogs. I sincerely hope your younger dog is just irritation.

Unfortunately the answer is leaving her inside and/or using a cone. There are no magic cures for things dogs can reach with their tongue.

I had this problem with my dog and I found the best thing was to not treat her nose and just let it heal. I think you will have to keep her inside or fenced in for a week.

Basket muzzle ? https://companyofanimals.us/brand/baskerville/

1 Like