Ideas needed. First time with individual with special needs

Hello. First post, totally new to the forum.
So this is my first time on my own with my horse providing a ride for a special needs girl who is able to follow instruction. (5th grade level). Any thoughts on exercises I should do with her on the horse? Would trotting in hand be a good idea? I am a professional dressage rider, and teaching is very new to me. Thanks so much for your help :slight_smile:

First, make sure she understands safety rules on the ground, if you have not already. Find out from parental units if there are any physical manifestations of her problem that you need to keep in mind. If she has ridden previously, have her show you what she knows to do and take it from there.
If she has not ridden previously, she will need at least 2 sessions of just walking, practicing her position whilst stopping starting and turning the horse. On 3rd session, in which you should be able to introduce trotting, you ideally would either have the horse on the longe line, or have someone else be leading the horse and step off at a trot with you remaining near the new rider to assist with balance.

What are the ā€˜special needsā€™? Why is she riding your horse? Are you insured? Do you have a liability agreement for her parents to sign? Do you have any experience working with children?
Does she know anything about horsemanship/groundwork? What is she physically capable of doing? What does she want to learn?

I have a lot of experience working with children. No, I am not insured. This is a ā€œone timeā€ thing. From what the mother has told me, she is perfectly capable of following instructions. Physically she is fine as well, some minor muscle tone issues, but that is all. Sheā€™s 23 and operates at a 5th grade level. Down syndrome traits.

Yes. She will sign a waiver. This is a friend of mineā€™s kid, and it will be an unpaid thing. I have lots of people out riding my horse because they otherwise wouldnā€™t have the opportunity to.

As far as I know, all she wants to do is get on and ride. She wonā€™t be off a lunge line, and I will probably be next to her the entire time. This is mostly because my horse is fairly sensitive (dressage Arabian). And although he is wonderful at taking it easy with everyone BUT me, I would prefer not have any risks.

Her mom used to train and show western pleasure horses, I am assuming that she has ridden in the past. However, I will be treating the situation as though she never has. Iā€™m also thinking that her mom might want to stand next to her while we do things on the horseā€¦just to make sure her balance is there.

Hmm. Iā€™m thinking ground poles to work on steering and maybe cones? But should she learn how to tack up, etc? I usually have the little girls that come out for ā€œlessonsā€ (hehe) learn how to groom and tack up themselves. Also, they learn how to wrap correctly. But I donā€™t want to overwhelm herā€¦

Thanks so much for your help.

Bad, bad idea. I would be running in the opposite direction. Sorry. :frowning:

Unless you have insurance (what if she slips off, breaks her neck and requires 24/7 care for the rest of her life? how would you feel about that?) and your horse is a steady eddy type (i.e. would excel in a riding school with kids flopping, screaming and carrying on) I would not recommend this.

But different folks have different risks tolerances so I totally understand if you proceed anyway. Just remember that you risk losing your house, farm, truck etc. if something untoward happens. Not to mention the guilty conscious for stepping outside of your and your horses comfort zone in providing therapeutic riding lessons with no training or experience in doing so.

[QUOTE=Mouse&Bay;7336160]
Bad, bad idea. I would be running in the opposite direction. Sorry. :frowning:

Unless you have insurance (what if she slips off, breaks her neck and requires 24/7 care for the rest of her life? how would you feel about that?) and your horse is a steady eddy type (i.e. would excel in a riding school with kids flopping, screaming and carrying on) I would not recommend this.

But different folks have different risks tolerances so I totally understand if you proceed anyway. Just remember that you risk losing your house, farm, truck etc. if something untoward happens. Not to mention the guilty conscious for stepping outside of your and your horses comfort zone in providing therapeutic riding lessons with no training or experience in doing so.[/QUOTE]

Funny enough you say that, sheā€™s looking to start a program for the Paralympics in our area. Which is why she came to me. I understand the risks. And have taken them into consideration. Iā€™ve discussed this with her mom and she said that (being raised with horses) she fully understands the potential risk involved. It is merely her horse sense that Iā€™ve gathered from speaking to her about my horse, which is why I am providing this. But I value your input as there is a huge risk involved. Iā€™m considering contacting an old therapeutic riding center for which I used to desensitize horses for to maybe take her on. We will see. Thank you again :slight_smile:

The best thing you could do is point her at an established disabled riding program.

I have done numerous one time rides for disabled people as a favour to see if they want to get on the waiting list for the disabled riding program (LONG wait). A bucking strap or similar grab strap may be a good idea. depending on her dexterity, using gaming reins (short rope reins) or thick rubber reins may help with holding them. Safety stirrups also good idea. Assuming she will be ok with wearing a helmet too.

I like doing simple obstacles such as weaving in and out of pylons and over poles. I do lead line only (not longe line)

I start by introducing the rider to the horse and explaining that the horse doesnā€™t like loud noises/fast movement or whatever. If there are other horses in the arena I make sure the other riders are ok with our being there, and understand to be careful.

Yes. She will be wearing a helmet. Yes there will be a grab strap and my stirrups arenā€™t safety stirrups. Theyā€™re correct equitation stirrups that I use because of my injury. But I can probably borrow some off of my friend. Your advice was really helpful. Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

Kaya1001! It is up to you whether you want to proceed, just be aware of the liability issues.

Saying that I gave a ride to an older gentleman who had cancer and was recovering from a stroke related to his cancer treatment. He had good motor skills, but was not 100% and had always loved horses and felt like he wanted to ride one again before he was too ill. My horse is calm, but is still a show horse, so not school type.

I kept hin on the leadline. I really didnā€™t want to take the added risk of lunging. I put on a breast plate, so he had something to hold. I didnā€™t have safety stirrups, but made sure he wore heeled boots. We just walked around on the lead. I did circle work and I explained about putting on his outside leg to push the horse in and make a smaller circle. Basically spiralling in on the circle and back out. I explained he was leg yielding her (well he sort of was, but I think he enjoyed it). I went over some poles too.

It was a very nice experience for both of us. He has since passed and I am glad I did that for him. Just be very cautious and have them sign something. Our kindness does not come without risks!

[QUOTE=HunterBranded;7347724]
Kaya1001! It is up to you whether you want to proceed, just be aware of the liability issues.

Saying that I gave a ride to an older gentleman who had cancer and was recovering from a stroke related to his cancer treatment. He had good motor skills, but was not 100% and had always loved horses and felt like he wanted to ride one again before he was too ill. My horse is calm, but is still a show horse, so not school type.

I kept hin on the leadline. I really didnā€™t want to take the added risk of lunging. I put on a breast plate, so he had something to hold. I didnā€™t have safety stirrups, but made sure he wore heeled boots. We just walked around on the lead. I did circle work and I explained about putting on his outside leg to push the horse in and make a smaller circle. Basically spiralling in on the circle and back out. I explained he was leg yielding her (well he sort of was, but I think he enjoyed it). I went over some poles too.

It was a very nice experience for both of us. He has since passed and I am glad I did that for him. Just be very cautious and have them sign something. Our kindness does not come without risks![/QUOTE]
That is so sweet!!! :slight_smile:
Yes. Thatā€™s a good idea. I donā€™t think lunging would be good for my horse anyway because he gets pushy with a lunge line on. Thank you for the ideas. I thoroughly appreciate it!!

Does she actually have Down Syndrome? If so, you need to know if she has atlantoaxial instability. This page http://sports.specialolympics.org/specialo.org/Special_/English/Coach/Coaching/Basics_o/Down_Syn.htm explains more about it, but essentially, individuals with it are at a greater risk of severely injuring/displacing/breaking their spinal cord in case of a fall. Generally, most therapeutic riding centers consider it a contraindication to riding because the risk of severe injury in case of a spook or fall is so much greater. We ask for a doctorā€™s note saying that they have xrays that show a negative result for atlantoaxial instability. The xrays need to be relatively recent, too. Some people have them done very early (3-6) and have later changes as they grow that do not show up on the earlier xrays.

People have already addressed the risks of doing this without insurance, etc. From a professional standpoint, I canā€™t advise you to do this without insurance or experience. If you are going to do it, keep in mind a few things. If she has low muscle tone, you will definitely want a second person there just in case. Mounting and dismounting is the most dangerous part, and low muscle tone can cause the body to bend in ways you may not expect. As you are mounting, you will want to have someone holding the horse and someone spotting her up the mounting block. You may have to help get a leg over the saddle. It is safest to have someone on the off-side as well, in case of overbalancing. If you have a mounting block high enough for her to get in the saddle without putting her left foot in the stirrup first, that will probably be easier and safer - just slide on.

No stirrups is safest in case of emergency and good practice for future riding skills. If you use stirrups, use safety stirrups, and have her practice taking her feet out of them. Grab strap = great idea. If you need to stabilize her, your forearm across the thigh gently pressing down or a hand cupping the back of the ankle is best. Make sure she is stable before moving away from the mounting block; low muscle tone will make it harder for her to resist the motion of the horse and easier for her to fall forward or back.

Often with learning delays, it is hard to follow multiple instructions at once. Break things down into little steps. Start without the reins, and practice looking left and right as you turn the horse for her, then add in opposite leg and rein. If she canā€™t follow an instruction, remove difficulty. Halt is easier than walk, straight is easier than turning, slow is easier than fast. Processing instructions takes time, and some canā€™t handle the input from trying a new skill and the motion of the horse at the same time. Start practicing at the halt, then the walk. If she canā€™t turn while the horse is walking, half the horse in the corner, turn while halted, and then walk on. Watch her movements as you lead the horse. If, for instance, it is hard for her to move a hand out to turn the horseā€™s head, reward any deliberate hand movement in that direction by turning the horse for her. Start with verbal cues (ā€œwalk-on/whoaā€) and then move on to physical. Play games, sing songs, talk about the parts of the horse, etc. If she has sensory integration issues, holding the reins might be uncomfortable, and thatā€™s ok. You can always work with head and legs. Simplify instructions, but donā€™t be surprised if she asks awesome questions and wants to know more - explain as much as you are able. Be cautious about letting her off-lead, even if she looks like she is riding very well - if something were to happen, her reaction time might be delayed.

Best bet is to use a halter and attach reins, so that any extraneous muscle movement does not pull on the bit; also, if your horse associates a bridle with work, he will most likely be more calm in a halter. Practice having somebody walk at the horseā€™s girth next to a rider before you bring her out. Some horses just simply donā€™t like sidewalkers at all.

Same thing with grooming; do what she can do and go from there. Always have on a helmet and teach her how to keep a hand on the horse to move with it. Shoulder area is safest; stay in front of legs. Go step by step with grooming and be patient. Most people pick it up pretty quickly. Do whatever your rider can do. If all they can do is put their hand over your hand as you hold the brush, they are still brushing the horse.

If you let her come ride, go slow, be safe, and have fun.

Lots of great suggestions so far, especially this:

Does she actually have Down Syndrome? If so, you need to know if she has atlantoaxial instability.
If youā€™re not experienced in working with individuals with disabilities, maybe check out some therapeutic riding centers to see if they have printable intake forms / rider applications. That should give you a good starting point for questions youā€™ll need mom to answer before taking on the risk of putting her on your horse.

However, your initial question wasnā€™t whether this was a good idea or not, your question was what exercises you should do with her, so it sounds like your mind is made up that youā€™re going to do this.

That said - you treat what you see.
You could go into the lesson with thoughtful plans for exercises you intend to do, and when the rider arrives and you get her on the horse, you see that her desire and abilities do not match the things you had planned out ahead of time. On paper, itā€™s an easy thing to plan out the lesson based on what youā€™ve been told about your rider. In reality, there are always surprises.

My best advice is to listen to her - in what she says and in what her body language tells you. Adjust your plans accordingly, and take your time. You donā€™t need to teach grooming, tacking, walking, trotting, steering etc all in one day. You noted some muscle tone issues, this could be a lot for her to do in a day!

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

[QUOTE=loremipsum;7351463]
Does she actually have Down Syndrome? If so, you need to know if she has atlantoaxial instability. This page http://sports.specialolympics.org/specialo.org/Special_/English/Coach/Coaching/Basics_o/Down_Syn.htm explains more about it, but essentially, individuals with it are at a greater risk of severely injuring/displacing/breaking their spinal cord in case of a fall. Generally, most therapeutic riding centers consider it a contraindication to riding because the risk of severe injury in case of a spook or fall is so much greater. We ask for a doctorā€™s note saying that they have xrays that show a negative result for atlantoaxial instability. The xrays need to be relatively recent, too. Some people have them done very early (3-6) and have later changes as they grow that do not show up on the earlier xrays.

People have already addressed the risks of doing this without insurance, etc. From a professional standpoint, I canā€™t advise you to do this without insurance or experience. If you are going to do it, keep in mind a few things. If she has low muscle tone, you will definitely want a second person there just in case. Mounting and dismounting is the most dangerous part, and low muscle tone can cause the body to bend in ways you may not expect. As you are mounting, you will want to have someone holding the horse and someone spotting her up the mounting block. You may have to help get a leg over the saddle. It is safest to have someone on the off-side as well, in case of overbalancing. If you have a mounting block high enough for her to get in the saddle without putting her left foot in the stirrup first, that will probably be easier and safer - just slide on.

No stirrups is safest in case of emergency and good practice for future riding skills. If you use stirrups, use safety stirrups, and have her practice taking her feet out of them. Grab strap = great idea. If you need to stabilize her, your forearm across the thigh gently pressing down or a hand cupping the back of the ankle is best. Make sure she is stable before moving away from the mounting block; low muscle tone will make it harder for her to resist the motion of the horse and easier for her to fall forward or back.

Often with learning delays, it is hard to follow multiple instructions at once. Break things down into little steps. Start without the reins, and practice looking left and right as you turn the horse for her, then add in opposite leg and rein. If she canā€™t follow an instruction, remove difficulty. Halt is easier than walk, straight is easier than turning, slow is easier than fast. Processing instructions takes time, and some canā€™t handle the input from trying a new skill and the motion of the horse at the same time. Start practicing at the halt, then the walk. If she canā€™t turn while the horse is walking, half the horse in the corner, turn while halted, and then walk on. Watch her movements as you lead the horse. If, for instance, it is hard for her to move a hand out to turn the horseā€™s head, reward any deliberate hand movement in that direction by turning the horse for her. Start with verbal cues (ā€œwalk-on/whoaā€) and then move on to physical. Play games, sing songs, talk about the parts of the horse, etc. If she has sensory integration issues, holding the reins might be uncomfortable, and thatā€™s ok. You can always work with head and legs. Simplify instructions, but donā€™t be surprised if she asks awesome questions and wants to know more - explain as much as you are able. Be cautious about letting her off-lead, even if she looks like she is riding very well - if something were to happen, her reaction time might be delayed.

Best bet is to use a halter and attach reins, so that any extraneous muscle movement does not pull on the bit; also, if your horse associates a bridle with work, he will most likely be more calm in a halter. Practice having somebody walk at the horseā€™s girth next to a rider before you bring her out. Some horses just simply donā€™t like sidewalkers at all.

Same thing with grooming; do what she can do and go from there. Always have on a helmet and teach her how to keep a hand on the horse to move with it. Shoulder area is safest; stay in front of legs. Go step by step with grooming and be patient. Most people pick it up pretty quickly. Do whatever your rider can do. If all they can do is put their hand over your hand as you hold the brush, they are still brushing the horse.

If you let her come ride, go slow, be safe, and have fun.[/QUOTE]

This is the best post on this thread, by a long shot! This is a perfect example of why people who need hippotherapy (therapeutic riding) need to be with people who actually know ā€˜what the fruitbatā€™ they are doing, not some random amateur, no matter how experienced a rider that random person may be.