Unlimited access >

Identify weed in hay , picture attached

Can anyone tell me what this weed is ? It is in orchard grass bale of hay NE PA . Can it be Hoary alyssum?

I am no plant expert, or even close to being one, but it does look like the stuff in this little article.

Do you have an active cooperative extension agent near you that can look at it in person?

2 Likes

Hoary Alyssum was very common here in new places (Michigan) last year with the June drought. I caught it when it flowered in late summer. We pulled the plants for DAYS! Plants will go to seed even after spraying, so I wanted them gone, plant and root! I put the multiple filled sacks of plants in my trash for pickup, nothing left here on the farm. Mine were in the sandy soil around the big round pen. Plants pulled pretty easily after following trailing stems to where it went into the ground. I sure wanted all the roots gone too. Stems sprawl on the dirt, can be pretty long, 2ft. Recent rain made dirt softer for pulling. It likes poor soil, was able to grow faster than the usual grass there. Plants were both inside and outside the fence. We had not been using that paddock for working, just letting horses graze it. They avoided the Hoary Alyssum.

It was pretty easy to pull, but I kept checking back to get newly flowering plants until frost when growth stopped. I WILL be spraying under those fences as things start growing for new plants coming up from seed. Checking other farm locations, i didn’t find any. They only seemed to grow by the round pen. Lucky for me!

trubandloki Nice photo of identified dried seed heads in hay!

1 Like

I found another possibility. This is exactly what it looks in the bale of hay. , Feild Pennycress , pic from online that I found

1 Like

I ran it through my Plantnet app on my phone, and it came back Virginia Peppergrass 51% certainty. But I’ve got the Northeast US location loaded, so it may be different for PA. It’s a cool, free app.

2 Likes

that’s what mine said too :slight_smile:

1 Like