Unlimited access >

If you are going to WEG, take T.P. and

…practice squatting. The main stadium has stand-up/squat toilets. 90 mins into the opening ceremonies, 2 out of 3 near our section were broken/over-flowing, and there was toilet paper remaining only in one (the most flooded) stall. This was only halfway through the first event of a two-week schedule. Rut-roh.

These are the only squat toilets we’ve encountered this trip, so it was a surprise. Best to be prepared. :eek: And you are going to want wellies if you have them…

Actually, squat toilets are most hygienic!! lol of course, not when they do flood. That’s what we had in school…

I am starting to pack and have, um, included your suggestion…

I recall that the Brits called squat toilets French toilets and the French called them Turkish toilets. I hope they have hand holds.

yep in France they are Turkish!

Hygienic had nothing whatsoever to do with the ladies room at the stadium. The only thing to hold onto was the water pipe at the back of the toilet leading to the flush button.

Give be me a nice inviting horse stall or trailer, please!

Some went armed with extra toilet paper this morning. At opening ceremony this was indeed a surprise. …

[QUOTE=Badger;7729460]
Hygienic had nothing whatsoever to do with the ladies room at the stadium. The only thing to hold onto was the water pipe at the back of the toilet leading to the flush button.

Give be me a nice inviting horse stall or trailer, please![/QUOTE]

I never never never travel in Europe without packets of tissue at all times

We found trailers of portable toilets at the trade fair, but it took almost 40 mins to walk there and 20 mins to shuttle back (including the wait). From reports I overheard in the trade fair line, the main arena bathrooms were just as bad today as Sat night.

Food in the arena has been running out regularly, and the coffee was being made there this morning in a 10-cup Mr. Coffee maker. Best to just bring in sandwiches.

The nice thing about the arena is how close you are to the action, closer than either the Aachen or Kentucky WEGs.

Oh yuck.

How do squat toilets work for handicapped or older people with out the leg strength to squat like that?

Not as relevant now, but in the old daysyou were in real trouble if you were wearing panty hose. :smiley: AND you were on a Chinese train going a high speeds.

Ask me how I know this.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;7730000]
Oh yuck.

How do squat toilets work for handicapped or older people with out the leg strength to squat like that?[/QUOTE]

That was my thought/question… how do those work??

[QUOTE=Where’sMyWhite;7730074]
That was my thought/question… how do those work??[/QUOTE]

If you are making a pointed remark about folks with challenges, I agree they probably do not work well at all. If you are seriously asking, a Turkish toilet really is just a hole in the ground toilet basin, though often with two helpful footprint diagrams on either side to give you the right idea, :lol:. I am not familiar with any with handholds, though admittedly and thankfully my experience of them is quite limited.

It was a sincere question.

We recently installed a compliant height toilet in my parent’s house to make it easier for my aged step-father to get up and down.
I was looking thru a catalog at fixtures the other day and saw the squat toilet and I really wondered how aged and handicapped people in those societies use these fixtures.

They ran out of change at the concession stand on Saturday night as well

[QUOTE=Badger;7729982]
We found trailers of portable toilets at the trade fair, but it took almost 40 mins to walk there and 20 mins to shuttle back (including the wait). From reports I overheard in the trade fair line, the main arena bathrooms were just as bad today as Sat night.
Food in the arena has been running out regularly, and the coffee was being made there this morning in a 10-cup Mr. Coffee maker. Best to just bring in sandwiches.

The nice thing about the arena is how close you are to the action, closer than either the Aachen or Kentucky WEGs.[/QUOTE]

I am sure there are different kinds of washrooms for handicapped/older people at a different spot. Can’t find anything on the site though.
And one of the big problems with “wc à la turque” is that despite the foot print and the hole, some people do not understand you have to face OUT and not in… so you can imagine the mess some create!! I remember too some toilets having automatic flushes (timed)… so you had to be quick and aim in between flushes…

Interesting video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rid4VfDmzts
but I can’t find anything about washrooms at the Stadium…weird!

thanks for all the info - hmm, packing some additional items - and now know to restrict my water intake !!!

I didn’t think squat toilets were to be widely found in w. Europe. I always thought they started at any location ruled by Ottomans & moved east from there.

When I was in eastern Europe I would see tiny hunched babushkas & wonder how they could swing the squat toilet…until I saw them all haul themselves up into a train (train floor at about the height of their chin) as it pulls out of the station, despite holding huge bags in both hands.

maybe the squat keeps you nimble…

The roll of TP is going in my suitcase tonight. Always best to be prepared. Thanks for the heads up!

[QUOTE=FalseImpression;7730679]
I am sure there are different kinds of washrooms for handicapped/older people at a different spot. Can’t find anything on the site though.
And one of the big problems with “wc à la turque” is that despite the foot print and the hole, some people do not understand you have to face OUT and not in… so you can imagine the mess some create!! I remember too some toilets having automatic flushes (timed)… so you had to be quick and aim in between flushes…

Interesting video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rid4VfDmzts
but I can’t find anything about washrooms at the Stadium…weird![/QUOTE]

There are no handicapped facilities