Unlimited access >

If you could do a freestyle to any song

… what would it be?

Mine would be this one. Lyrics NSFW. I love the beat.

1 Like

My most extreme freestyle fantasy is to do one to a song i compose and record myself.

I have zero musical ability, so this will absolutely never happen. But if i ever become one of those people who develops synesthesia after a head injury, watch out!

4 Likes

Tchaikovsky ~ Waltz of the Flowers :bouquet: ~

4 Likes

I did a freestyle to Booker T and the MGs. It suited my horse perfectly.

I’d love to hire my brother to accompany my freestyle.

6 Likes

Lord of the Rings, it’s been my dream for decades. Hoping to make that reality happen with my guy in the coming years.

5 Likes

Mairi’s Wedding

1 Like

My favorite band is The National but they constantly have complex beats in their songs (such as Fake Empire which is in 3/4 and 4/4 time simultaneously), so they are impossible to ride a horse to.
(I dunno, maybe something that racks…? I don’t have anything that racks, though. :woman_shrugging:t3:)

My next dream song is For Good, from the Wicked musical. Whenever one of my closet friends and I are in a horse trailer together, that song is on.

4 Likes

way back in the 80s when they were almost unheard of, I did do a ride to this. At first level no less. We were terrible, but I loved the music and I worked out a nice ride, appropriate to the music. It is one of the highlights of my riding career such as it was!

we went down center line at a trot, halt, turn right, small circle in the corner, then launch across the diagonal. It was mahvahlous!
In fact, I don’t think we got a score, it was only a demo. But SO much fun!
5 Likes

How cool would that be?

1 Like

Probably 20 years ago when I finally scored high enough to enter a musical freestyle with my full blooded white Percheron --we did a musical free style to Ben Herr’s “March of the Charioteers.” It starts with slow drums and builds with lots of horns and then as I recall a bridge with flutes (free walk). . .That Percheron nailed every beat --of course no video then, but I can still see it in my heart.

14 Likes

I’ve only done a 3rd level freestyle so far but I picked what I and my horse loved. Rode it to Imagine dragons Thunder, and Coldplay’s Paradise. I left the lyrics in and sang along every time I rode it! Took me to 3rd place regional open champs so pretty well received, I think.

14 Likes

He really did THUNDER :rofl::rofl:

24 Likes

I had a dream once that Stevie Nicks was singing during my freestyle. I have done a freestyle to Stand Back and Edge of 17- so at least it made sense in my dream lol! I may revive it next year for a GP freestyle.
I’m currently imaging a freestyle with Vivaldi’s Winter and Bach’s Toccata & Fuge. I found some electronic remixes that almost sort of fit but it’s a stretch. Maybe some day…

6 Likes

A friend and I did a pas de deux to music from Top Gun - we entered at A to ‘Highway to the Danger Zone’ - super fun!

Not sure what I’d use for my current horse, but definitely got me thinking…

6 Likes

My trainer’s daughter put together a little video for me for Christmas in 2021 of my horse under saddle, and the music she used to accompany it was Zayde Wolf’s “Take a Look at This.” It’s catchy, seems to match up with my horse’s movement, and has some good beats to it. When I heard it, I immediately thought, “FREESTYLE.” :heart_eyes: Totally not the song I would have ever expected to want to use, but this song is ALL attitude, and definitely fits my horse’s personality in a lot of ways.

4 Likes

Lady Gaga’s Alejandro on a PRE or Gwen Stefanis Hollaback Girl on a spicy mare:).

2 Likes

I have choreography and music planned out for a freestyle using Daenerys Targaryen’s themes from Game of Thrones. It will probably never happen, but maybe someday!

My broader show plan for this Spring was to:

1. Be more proficient at PSG in the ring & improve my scores to something more respectable and

2. Retool my 3rd Level Van Halen freestyle choreography in order to get my Silver Bar scores at Fourth Level.

It has lots of room in the canter music, and would work great for Fourth Level, because really the differences between what’s required at 3rd v. 4th are all in the canter. Mainly the 3 & 4 tempi changes and the half pirouettes.

But my horse had other plans, and is rehabbing a significant bone bruise. So I’m out for the season.

Incidentally, since I last rode to the VH music in CA in 2018 I have shown a couple of times over there more recently in classes with the wife of a Van Halen. She has several nice horses & is an accomplished ammie. It would have been extra interesting if I’d been able to ride to it again at the shows I had planned to in '23, with one of the people who originated the music within earshot. IF her husband attends to spectate, that is.

But that won’t happen this year. Maybe in the Fall if he comes back into FEI work by then. (And if I am able to as well).

3 Likes

This was my only freestyle so far . I did love the music for my horse and I believe she liked it as well.

5 Likes

I personally love the techno trend in the Freestyles lately – ala Steffen Peters & Mopsie. To me, the beats are SO interesting – so much better than the canned Synth-type freestyles of years passed.

I think a Freestyle with a heavy mix of Earl’s “All That Glitters” would be amazing – the tempi changes on the “one time for the money, two times for the love, three times for the love …” would be so fun…