Unlimited access >

If you woke up tomorrow and all your blankets and sheets were GONE…

The Rambo problem is recent: there is another thread where a lot of people who purchased brand new Rambos within the past year and experienced major waterproofing problems. There is something amiss; I don’t know if it’s a temporary blip or a sign of declining quality. But if I’m paying hundreds of dollars for a new “waterproof” turnout blanket, I expect it not to soak through in a light rain shower (I haven’t personally had this problem, but others have).

They are still my favorite blanket by a landslide, so I hope it’s a temporary blip.

3 Likes

I need more coffee :coffee:
I was all ready to suggest Vellux blankets, jersey or bamboo sheets… :crazy_face:

I’d vote Weathabeeta, but since mine were a good 20yo when I sold them (didn’t fit current horse) I can’t vouch for the new ones.
BMB used to be a brand I liked, but a newer one - bought over 30yrs ago :roll_eyes: - didn’t have the same quality as the first.

2 Likes

Bucas, Weatherbeetas and Schneiders

1 Like

I bought two this year (a Duo and a Heavy) and I haven’t noticed any issues?!

1 Like

Alex has worn his heavyweight Baker for - OMG, 15 years now?! Granted, he only wears it when it’s REALLY cold, but aside from needing a new buckle strap in front, there isn’t a thing wrong with it. I also have a 1950s Baker I got on eBay that’s just amazing quality.

I’ve had Weatherbeetas, and all of them have been destroyed at one point or another.

1 Like

I’ve been a Rambo fan forever, and my current range of blankets for everyone includes a Rambo Duo (100g) with liners, a Rhino sheet (find they run a little less warm than the Rambo and that works best for mine), and an Amigo lightweight sheet (for the spring/fall rainy but warm times). If those were gone, I wouldn’t bother with the new Rambo Duos as the ones I’ve gotten recently, made in Cambodia, have been crap. I’d buy a Rhino or Amigo to replace it as those are cheaper and I have lower expectations so I won’t be so disappointed. For now, I’m keeping all my Made in Ireland Rambos even the ones that don’t fit just in case I buy something that they do fit!

1 Like

Rhino Wug rain sheet.

Rhino Wug medium weight (200–250g depending on if it’s Vari-layer or not).

Rhino Plus 100g with neck. The plus has the snaps/ring chest. I can use this alone or throw it over the midweight wug for winter storms.

If I had a horse like my fourth horse, who got chilly more easily, I’d have three Rhino Plus in both 100g and 200-250g, and the rain Wug.

2 Likes

Same here - I have yet to find anything that works as well for my guys.

I would buy the same rugs I have now, and I refuse to limit myself to 3 (this will surprise no one who knows me and definitely not the staff at the barn.)

Mix of Rambo, Rhino, and Amigo, in sheet, 100g, 250g, and 450g, with no-fill, medium, and heavy hoods. (Old horse, questionable thyroid, arthritis, runs cold. I’m only a little crazy.)

And if everyone and their mom said that this year’s were not waterproof I would buy last year’s secondhand.

He’s a Horseware build kind of a horse and although they have declined in quality since they were made in Ireland, I’ve used these rugs for 25 years of horse ownership and am satisfied with their performance over time.

1 Like

They were all gone??? That might be a blessing. :rofl:

13 Likes

I have a similar pile. :rofl:

2 Likes

My red head would call the ASPCA if all of his wardrobe disappeared overnight. The last Rambo I bought in 2021 (a 50h) has so far been the best as far as waterproofing that I own and seems to be more tightly woven or something because it keeps the picky redhead much warmer in the same conditions that he used to wear my 100g Duo which has not aged well at all (and is now worn by the slightly less wimpy other horse).

1 Like

My human keeps me warm and snuggly in -

Tipperaryblankets.com

Small selection, however the best part is they don’t break the bank price wise, so there are dollars left over for carrots.

:horse:

1 Like

I was one of them. The recommendation to do the Nikwax solved my 3yo Supreme sudden lack of waterproof issue - it’s waterproof again. I returned the new 1680 Supreme’s that not only were not waterproof but also plasticky, heavy and gross. Also have new Originals w Leg Arches and they’re waterproof and doing well.

What I love for my PSSM2 guy is my old Rambo Wug 200gm. Also have a 50 gm liner that’s been really handy for days where it’ll warm up but not enough to justify being naked. I’m gone all day from 630am to 430pm. He’s really sensitive to getting cold.

I’ve really valued having multiple blankets too because when you get horrible, cold rain and the blankets are wet, it’s nice to pull them, dry in the heated tack room and put on a fresh dry blanket.

I was hoping we’d have a “revisit” thread to last year’s viral one with so many responses. I was finding the Rambo liners to dig into both my horses withers and I hate anything sitting on the wither bone or hard anywhere.

I’d listened to a TRT (Tristan Tucker) podcast with a dentist - it was so good. And this guy Wouter Demey said you should have a number of bridles and bits and switch them out. Change the pressures on their head. Got me thinking. Why isn’t it the same for blankets? Doesn’t it make sense to change them out every day and move the pressure.

I really like a Wug in that it doesn’t dig into the withers. Planning to get a 0 gram Wug too.

Just me thinking right now with a glass of wine in hand. I’ve never had to blanket a horse so much and because I’m gone all day long have to really think through the temp, wind, if there will be sun… and then how to blanket.

I have also valued having the Premier - love the 90gm hood and other aspects of that blanket.

But what I’ve come out of the winter most is changing out the pressure by changing blanket styles.

3 Likes

OT but I loved that podcast episode. Super interesting!

1 Like

Right? What sticks with me too and how angled and sharp the bars are and how easily there is damage and pain. Like WOW!!!

I liked the Rhino Wug 0g liner but in my neck of the woods they are no longer available. The lowest weight is 100g in the Wug style. How does the newest Rhino sheet fit? I can only find pictures with the neck cover on.

I didn’t even know they made blankets. They look like they’d fit a variety of body types.

1 Like

My human has purchased them for a 15 h Morgan and a 15’3 TB.

They fit well and have held up well to normal wear and tear.

I myself am a roller in muck, ie one of my favorite pass times and I did do a boo boo on the liner near the back leg straps last year, oops, however it’s hasn’t grown any larger and still fits and wears well.

Both blankets as offered online has been purchased, used, washed and tested.
They are the nicest ones that I have had.

:horse:

Rambo original turnout sheet and blanket. As in the green with the red trim. They aren’t cheap but they do their job and do it well.

1 Like