Unlimited access >

If you woke up tomorrow and all your blankets and sheets were GONE…

And you had to start over…

What would be your top three sheets/blankets to consider (fit notwithstanding) for versatility, longevity, and waterproofing?

1 Like

Buccas Power turnout line, with the stay-dry lining

3 Likes

Rambos, Amigos, Horseware, which are all by the same company. Great fit on all our horses whose body styles are all very similar.

Just was gifted about 10 Rambo winter blankets and others of various weights, all the same 84" size our horses wear. WOW, great gift! Friend had to put her old horse down, we got ALL her horse stuff! I don’t think she ever washed them, just bought new each fall! I just got back from the laundromat getting them all washed., now hung to dry. May sell all the non-Rambo ones. We actually don’t blanket outside horses unless they are pretty old. So these may sit packed away until I clean house too!

6 Likes

Premier Equine, then Shires in a distant second.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I’ve had great experiences with weatherbeeta. The fit well, have worn well and last. And, they’re pretty reasonably priced.

11 Likes

Rambo turnout sheets w liners of different weight. Centaur athletic stable sheet- it stretches over the withers.

1 Like

Well after crying a river over my missing blanket hoard, I like my Amigo XL and Premier Equine blankets best for my current crew but that is really about fit for these horses.

I also like my Busse, Weatherbeeta and SmartPak blankets.

1 Like

I just pulled out a couple of older Weatherbeet light fill sheets, that are at least 15 yrs old. washed and bagged and stored away. I put them on two of my horses, and admired how well they fit, how nice they looked, how deep the bodies were and how generous the tail flaps were!!. I love the plaid, too! :slight_smile:

I get a lot of use out of my Rambo no fill rain sheet, and although it is a bit heavy to lift on,it fits well and is good looking and waterproof. I’d buy that again.
I love the Turtleneck rain sheet as well - it is lighter than the Rambo, with a stretchy neck and stretchy surcingles, and I would definitely buy that one again.
All I need now (if we are talking just one horse) is a midweight turnout, - I have been happy with Bucas) a nice mid weight stable blanket (I have a Clothes Horse and a Triple Crown that I love) , and two good coolers (wool Witney and a Irish knit)
and, and, and…:slight_smile:

1 Like

A medium weight turnout… Rhino or Rambo for the old lady, and Schneiders cutback for the little lady. (I did have a bad experience with Schneiders lack of waterproofing years ago, but this round the blanket has been perfect.) Both with removable neck covers. And a rainsheet for the old lady because she is old.

Lola actually probably doesn’t need blanketing at all as long as she has shelter; she is chunky and turned into a yak, and has worn her blanket less than 10 times. Feronia is old so I want to keep her a little warmer, but she normally doesn’t get blanketed unless it’s below freezing, or it’s cold and raining.

1 Like

There have been multiple reports of Rambo declining in quality recently :frowning: A year ago, that definitely would’ve been my answer, but now? I’m really not so sure.

I tried a Busse blanket this year, which is a German brand not really available in the US, but pretty easily found in Europe at stores that ship here. It’s really the only other brand I found that has the v-front chest. I like it, but don’t loooooove it like my Rambos…but if everything poofed, the Busse would be pretty high on my list as a possible replacement.

1 Like

My mare got through the whole winter in just an Amigo rainsheet with a hood. I only purchased the hood last year and it was a game changer for those gross wet days! So if I had to only have three items it would be the rainsheet, the hood, and a 50 or 100g liner I suppose. Or a second rainsheet :joy: Also, I only buy Horseware.

I think Rhino is the most waterproof but not the most breathable. I have some older Rambo’s and some newer Rambo’s that are doing great…as one just went for a swim in the mud yesterday. There was a period of time in the middle not too many years ago where I feel like they wore out faster…seemed not as warm, definitely not as waterproof despite trying to re-proof.

I have had great luck with Rambos and Amigo Bravos, but am also concerned about the reports of rapidly declining quality as of lately. But I’ve yet to discover a better alternative.

Whatever I purchase, it needs to have a 100g option. My horses basically live in their 100g blankets in the winter. They are perfect for those swings between chilly nights and not so chilly days.

2 Likes

Great idea for a thread :slight_smile:
I started buying the BowHorse blankets this year and have been pleased so far, I’d probably pick those with Amigo being a close second.

I like the Tough1 blankets with the adjustable withers. They’ve been great for all our horses and in our area (north Georgia), we don’t have to worry about the weather staying below freezing for long so we don’t need super heavy duty blankets. We have body styles ranging from short and chunky (the Shetland), stocky Foundation line Quarter Horses, the lean bodied Walkers and also the HUGE thick but muscular Walker type as well.

I wasn’t a fan of the Rambo we had but I did love the Weatherbeeta! Did not love the price tag

I have the Rambo Duo (100g outer, 100g liner, 200g liner) and that basically takes care of all my needs. So I would do that again (assuming same quality). Love the fit - but I’ve also heard quality has seriously declined.
Fly sheet - I would probably shop around. I got a new rambo protector last summer and had to send back (usual 78" was too small, 81" was HUGE). I currently have a weatherbeeta and it’s good enough but could be better.
Rain sheet - I have a 0g Ponyo which honestly is cute and functional… I’m always tempted to buy another… maybe in 50g … but shipping / duties always stops me from completing the purchase. If I had to re-buy I’d certainly consider Ponyo but more likely I’d get something available locally without all the rigamarole of shipping internationally.

Everything needs a removable hood.

1 Like

Rambos turnouts with neck cover in sheet, medium, and heavy and a premier equine 200gram liner. Plus a backup turnout sheet (ideally another Rambo or Hw brand). That’s literally all I need/use.

1 Like

I agree about the 100g weight. Most versatile blanket ever.

5 Likes

I’ve seen ads for them. I wondered if anyone had first-hand experience with them. Good to hear you’re pleased.

1 Like

In re: Rambo quality-- I buy them every other year or so (constant rotation of horses of different sizes and/or growing horses). Certainly they are no longer as durable as they were when they were Irish made. That much is 100%. But I have not found other dips and valleys in quality except for a couple years where there were defective blankets in the Amigo Mio line, which IIRC HW acknowledged and stopped selling. Other than that, I’ve found them to be pretty consistent in quality-- especially the Rambo line. They may not be as good as when they were Irish made but they’re still consistently very durable and far more durable than most other brands I’ve tried (Shires being a close second). YMMV.

3 Likes