Unlimited access >

IHJA questions?

I’m a little confused about some rules and I just have a few questions and hope someone can help me out. I want to register my mare for the IHJA (Indiana Hunter Jumper Association) either this upcoming season or the one after that. Me and my mare jump 2’6" right now and then I have a gelding who I jump 3’6" with. I’ve read some of the rule book and am still a little confused

So my my questions are:

1. Can I enter one jumper division with my mare and a different jumper division with my gelding and be eligible for year end awards with BOTH PAIRS?

2. If I cant enter a jumper division with both and be eligible for year end awards can I enter a jumper division with one and a equitation division with the other?

3. overall what divisions do you think I would be best entering these horses in? Or should I only enter one horse and not the other?

4. I’m also a little confused about the end of year awards and stuff. I understand that the IHJA has an end of year awards banquet and I’m assuming that’s for the top riders overall out of all the IHJA riders. But the IHJA approved shows also have end of year rewards and prizes. But I’m guessing those rewards just go to top riders who rode at the shows at that specific barn?

5. is there a certain number of IHJA shows you are allowed to go to or can you attend as many as you want? Cause obviously the people who go to more shows then are going to get the most points?

ok , sorry if that wasn’t very clear hopefully most of that made sense. Thank you!

Are you talking about the Illinois Hunter Jumper Association?

My answers pertain to THAT IHJA.

You have to declare a section when you enter - the A shows or the B shows. Is that what you’re referring to by ‘division’? Or do you mean the standard definition of division like ‘Children’s Jumpers’?

You can enter whatever classes you are eligible for according to each show’s prizelist. Some divisions, for example, will say ‘open to riders not competing over 3’ at this show’ or have some other limitation.

Points are tallied for horses for hunter/jumper divisions (regardless of who’s riding them) and to riders for equitation. Year-end awards are given for first through eighth place, according to total points accumulated through the year.

To answer your specific questions…

1, 2, and 3) yes, you can enter different divisions with your two horses, as long as you’re following the rules in the prizelist. You should show your horses in whatever division is most appropriate and safest for horse & rider.

1. I think you’re referring to ‘Fall Finals’. These are regular horse shows, but in addition to regular classes, they also have some medal finals that you have to qualify for during the year (e.g. the Adult IHJA Medal’). If you win medal finals, you get a ribbon at the horse show, then you get another ribbon at the year-end banquet.

2. No limit to the number of shows. If points are what floats your boat and your goal is to earn a ribbon for the banquet, pick your shows judiciously. If I was going for points, I’d spend a lot of time at Ledges in the winter.

If you are talking about the Indiana Hunter Jumper Association you can click on the President’s link on their website
(http://www.in-hja.org/) and she can answer all your questions.

Agree. They are super responsive. Enjoy.

Indiana, Illinois or Idaho?

Anyway, most of these regional Associations have similar rules. The answer us probably yes to most if your questions but they all have their rulebooks online. Posting here asking questions is good too.

On the banquets, the high point riders and horses in each division get awards, usually top 6, some go 8 or 10 but the banquets are for everybody. Most do a great job, some are really fun and everybody dresses up. Most give you great big ribbons and if you do any good at all during the year, you can go home with a big ribbon for your wall. If you are Champ or Reserve you usually get something besides the tri color.

Its good to get involved with the social side of showing and everybody likes hearing their name and walking up to get a big ribbon, even if it’s green. It’s fun.