Unlimited access >

I'm on Foal Watch!

Just back from the barn! And between 11:30 and 2:30 Brenna has ‘waxed’!! i have pix :wink:

7 Likes

Sport Horse Breeding Forum. I’m sure if you ask @Moderator_1 they’ll move it over there. There is a thread called “Foal Watch 2024”

2 Likes

I found Foal Watch 2024 and posted! Thanks!! (not a sport horse so maybe i shouldn’t go to that place…???). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

It’s OK. They’re not that picky. Just ask mod1 to plop this thread over there. :smile:

1 Like

i’ll give it a try. (i can move it myself…it’s not hard…all you have to do is edit the OP and change the topic)

1 Like

Okay. Great.

I’ve loved Quigley since you got him! If you had to have a baby daddy, he’s a good one!

7 Likes

Eagerly watching this thread from Florida! So excited for you!

1 Like

Best of luck with the foalings @eightpondfarm!

1 Like

I’m hoping today’s the day. They say waxing signals a 24-48 hour delivery…so starting 2pm today we’re in that time-zone.

8 Likes

If you live where I think you do it must have been an exciting and sleepless night. Did everyone come through alright??

Looks like they ( or at least 1 mare may be ) are planning on foaling in the colder weather.

1 Like

Well all the parents are attractive so you should have some adorable foals. I’ve been there for all three of my homebred’s births and it’s really amazing to be there for it and to watch them grow and do all the things.
I’m really ignorant about genetics but cant black horses sometimes have a “red gene”? and sometimes palominos do? so there might still a palomino pop out. Either way, once they go don’t come back until you have photos to show us!!!

1 Like

Palomino is Chestnut x Cream.
Black can hide chestnut.
I think chestnut can hide the agouti gene that causes bay.
If black has the agouti gene they will be bay, but I think black can hide the cream gene.
So depending on what’s hidden in the genotype there are several possible colors from these pairings.

5 Likes

well whatever comes out i can’t wait to see the little boogers!

2 Likes

Outside of Hermann…and you’re right, it sure rocked and rolled last night! i was down and back every 2 hrs. Was not easy motivating to go out there in it. I may just sleep down in the barn tonight.

Still no foals as of 4:00pm

Going to pull that palomino mare into an interior stall when she lays down the first time. (if she gets back up) Problem is palomino mare, Brenna, is really unhappy inside. So it’s not really something i feel i could do in advance. She paces and paws. If she foals in the shed, that’s ok i guess. But it IS going to be kinda cold.

4 Likes

You said it well! I’ll use more genetics phrases (red instead of chestnut), but black (E_) is dominant over red (e). Agouti (A) when contributed to a foal that is E_ will result in a bay if AA, otherwise there is a 50% of either. If the black sire is Ee and crossed with an ee mare, you have a 25% chance of a black foal. If a parent is AA, you have 100% chance when crossed with an E_ and will always end up with a bay if the E makes the trip . As for the cream, there’s a 50% chance of it being passed along on each breeding… The cross in question between the palomino and the black could result (since we have no idea of the genetics involved) in a black, bay, or red, with or without cream. If cream shows up the foal could be smoky black, buckskin or palomino.

The second mare doesn’t look roan to me, but more of a sabino type pattern, likely untestable. The cross again could produce black, bay or red since there is no testing done on either parent. How much white is a crap shoot.

8 Likes

Good luck! I hope she holds off for kinder weather. Thankfully all the mares I’ve taken care of during foaling have been comfortable inside so that wasn’t a concern.

1 Like

Black + 1 cream gene gives “smoky black” which may have brown shading or not quite as deep a black color. But it’s hard to detect without genetic testing, or when your “black” stallion starts throwing palomino or buckskin foals from chestnut and bay mares!

1 Like

well…it’s only a matter of hours now. For both mares as it turns out!! Mustang mare finally got over me making her go into the barn and let me get a good look at her udder and a couple of pix. The one with the flashlight on her is not good of her wax, BUT you can sure see the roaning. Other one is a bit blurry sorry.

3 Likes

this is Rizada’s ‘stall’. She is serene in there. Other mare would def NOT be. When the time gets near i’ll fluff up her hay beds and put straw over top.

7 Likes