Unlimited access >

I'm on Foal Watch!

Two mares, both “oops” by a BLM uncut ‘gelding’. (I was even given a copy of his castration report in his BLM adoption papers… dated and signed by a veterinarian!).
He was with them only two days…and in that time i only saw him breed one mare and i had her given an abortion shot. And had him gelded immediately… Testicles were retained when he arrived as a comin 2yr old. And then they descended… I felt something ‘down there’ and worried he had a testicular hernia. It was just a swell, a mound about the size of the palm of my hand. In fact, i took a photo and sent to vet and asked for an ultrasound. Appointment was the following week (after i witnessed him breeding that one mare)

…anyhoo, interestingly enough, both of the mares are curlies. The only curlies i have actually. The palomino, Brenna, is my dressage horse and is 8. The baldface roan, Rizada, is from BLM, (Fish Creek HMA) and is five-ish.

Due date March 24 - April 8. Neither were waxing yesterday. Today and tonight we’re expecting severe thunderstorms, with hail and tornados possible. So, i’m thinking tonight might just be the night. My dog and i will spend the night in the barn. And i’ll be locking them in so we don’t end up having foals birthed in the big weather!

Here are pics

14 Likes

Surprise! :crazy_face:
Sounds like you have things under control…
As much as that’s possible with mares in foal :smirk:

I’ll start knitting 2 little sets of 4 booties.
Note to Self:
Learn to knit. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

ha ha ha ha… cute! I’m hoping i can witness it/them being born! I’ve always wanted to see those sea-creature weird looking hooves at birth.
My fear is that mare of mine will turn on her foal. She is a very aggressive mare…top banana in my herd. (of 20)

I once had a ewe, Twiggy, who was SO ANGRY after delivering that i had to grab the first twin and hide it behind me while she had the second twin. Then she got up and started headbutting them. I quickly tied her up and helped them get up in there for colostrum. After a few minutes i untied her and she went for them again! So…i built a barricade out of hay bales and every hour or so tied her back up and brought them out. After about 48 hours Twiggy became the BEST mom to Cheryl and Tieggs. But i swear, she tried to kill them!

…and i’m afraid Brenna could be like that. She’s awfully bossy…

3 Likes

No experience so no advice, but wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted, and, of course, pics!

1 Like

Do you still own the now gelding? Any pictures? Will be interesting to see who the foals take after. If one of them comes on April 8th, you could name her after me since that’s my birthday. :wink:

5 Likes

Be careful mare doesn’t decide to chase you away!

I opened this thinking some poster was being funny waiting to give birth … a human foal.

4 Likes

:laughing: Great lamby names!
Okay, instead of knitting, I’ll do the Good Momma Dance :dancer:

1 Like

Here’s Quigley, the babydaddy, last Spring. He’s a year more mature now, but i don’t have any recent pics. I should take some. He’s spent the pastvyear growing up with the big herd and will start saddle training this Fall. He leads/loads/stands for farrier and is quite tame.

10 Likes

The foals should be alright then, if they inherit his looks. Of course, the dams aren’t too hard on the eyes either. The bald faced one looks a little cold blooded (from what I can see of her,) but he may bring some refinement. Nice!

1 Like

Rizada is quite course, it’s true. Brenna has a very pretty head. Both mares have short, thick necks. *so very many curlies do! …they also have an upright shoulder, as does Quigley. So they will have upright shoulders…but Quigley has a long ish neck, so i’m hoping that will help the foals. Here’s Brenna’s pretty face

5 Likes

I am the only thing on earth that Brenna loves, (until her foal comes!) And respects unconditionally. I’ve never had an ounce of trouble from her. She’s a high-strung thing, always on the move, ever alert, but reasonable. Other mare, Rizada, is calm and relatively mild-mannered and obedient. She is pleasant to be around…she calms ME down lol.

4 Likes

Yes, she’s lovely.

1 Like

It never fails…People, when they get a look at her go: She’s so PRETTY!!

1 Like

My older sister used to have Palominos. A couple of Quarter Horses and one solid Paint. She would love her.

Palomino x Black could give me a buckskin. Or maybe another palomino? Or or or…
LOL… i am hoping for two fillies. I’m a little heavy on geldings around here…

The first horse i ever loved was a palomino mare. A pale one, like my girl Brenna. I still can remember standing by that mare’s stall at the lesson stable…smelling her and petting her. It was the color which drew me to my girl, i’ll admit it.
I have another palomino, but he’s a golden one.

3 Likes

Apparently, Palominos are addictive! I don’t know enough about color genetics to guess what Brenna’s foal might be. But I’m gonna guess chestnut because that seems to be the default for Palominos.

I’d be fine with that. I only have one chestnut. A Morgan mare. Another one or two redheads would be alright. I have 5 black geldings…so don’t need another one. I like horses that show a shine. Chestnuts and Blacks seem to do that better than bays and the pale colors (buckskin/palomino etc)

Quigley’s mother was a chestnut (i have photos of them in the wild). His sire was gray. Brenna’s dam was a palomino, i’m not sure what her sire was. I could have had both mares and Quigley color-tested, but i wasn’t that interested in knowing in advance. Daydreaming and wondering is more fun.

2 Likes

You could ask to have this thread put on the breeding forum. There are a lot of experienced people there that can answer any questions you might have. Do you have straw down in the area where she will foal?

Good luck!

but its too much fun to guess… its like the old days when genetic tests were not invented yet!

I love Quigley and I cannot wait to see these babies. I hope you share them with us!

2 Likes

oh! There’s a breeding forum! Thanks!!!

I HAVE straw, but haven’t put it down yet. I may tonight… They each have nests of orchard grass hay. Just laid down fresh about a half hour ago. Brenna has two LARGE areas, Rizada has three smaller ones.