Unlimited access >

Impact protection for the back of an older horse?

I am currently leasing an 18-year-old Oldenburg mare from the barn I take lessons from, and I ride in a very old (15 years) Stubben saddle. It’s not very comfortable (for me or I assume her from the hardness of the panels) and I’m thinking that landing off of 2’6’’ jumps can’t be too comfortable with my 170 lbs (I’m 6’ tall) pressing into her back.

The saddle fits her fairly well, but I use a fairly thin ‘wither relief’ fleece pad for padding reasons on top of an a/p pad. She goes in this setup fairly well, but I think it would be more pleasant for her to have more shock-absorbent padding. I’ve been looking at the Wilkers memory foam pad, some gel pads, and Thinline pads, but I have no experience with this sort of thing, so what are your recommendations for shock-absorbing pads?

P.S. I’m on a budget so recommendations downwards of $200 would be appreciated.:slight_smile:

I have a thinline trifecta pad and it seems to provide good shock absorbsion. I use it whenever I know I’m going to do a lot of no stirrup work and attempt to sit the trot. I can feel a marked difference in the way my horse moves both with and without it.

You can’t beat sheepskin; http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/lemieux/lambskin-pads/lambskin-gp-jump-numnahs?zenid=e2a1e750c95f35ffa0dac1952197037c

Take a look at Prolite. They are what you are looking for in an half pad with protection. I use it on my 22 year old event horse all of the time.

Second the Prolite–best for impact reduction IMO. Haven’t used one on a horse that didn’t like it–all my horses go in one and seem to prefer it to sheepskin or thin line. And they’re not terribly expensive. Like around $130, so in your budget.

I would second the sheepskin option. I love Fleeceworks pads personally, but there are lots of options. Ebay is a good place to get one cheaply. Another possibility is the Lamicell pad: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/blk-lami-cell-full-shock-memory-pad. It’s similar to some of the high end pads, but won’t hurt your budget as badly. Here’s another from Schneiders: http://www.sstack.com/product/Gel-Lite-Split-Support-Pad/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp520216&gclid=CjwKEAjwrOO3BRCX55-L9_WojHoSJAAPxcSP7ueQ1IrZCgV0eR4JfBx59CTnQf5MJ1yyd5jxhtgAGBoCwFzw_wcB . I have the Gel Lite pad from Equigel, and it’s amazingly light and very squishy (the same material is used for wheelchair pads to prevent sores). Another ebay find.

Another vote for the Thinline Trifecta. Works great on my 24 year old OTTB.

I love my thinline trifecta as well. It’s really good at absorbing shock and additionally it won’t interfere with saddle fit.

As an added bonus, and I realize this is completely superficial :winkgrin: , I think it looks really nice!

Another vote for Thinline. :yes:

I like thin line. I have all my saddles fitted to include a trifecta pad. My saddler does not recommend sheepskin for shock absorption because he feels the wool just compacts way down. He says if you are going to use sheepskin then the wool needs to be against the horse’s back with no pad between.

I covet one of these wool (felt) pads very much – top of my wish list. Lots of info about their properties on the site:

https://www.5starequineproducts.com/products/english-saddle-pads

Love to hear from anyone who has one! They’re not trendy but the quality looks to be excellent – don’t know why I don’t see more of these.

:lol:“Very Old Stubben”!!!
My Stubben Parsival A/P is circa 1985!
Still in great shape & super-comfy for me & current horse.

I like the gel pads, but they can be heavy (for the rider, not the horse).
Definitely in your price range, most under $50.

I use prolite and thin line half pads, depending on which fits better.

Prolite tri pad vs. Thinline Trifecta

This thread is perfect timing for me - I’m currently trying to decide between these two. For those of you who have used both, what is the biggest difference? Pros/cons? Without any shims, how thick are they?

TIA!!

That is sort of funny, because years ago, when I started riding, this was what every horse went in. I hated them. You could not wash them easily, and when the horse sweat, they would get drenched.

[QUOTE=devvie;8598090]
I covet one of these wool (felt) pads very much – top of my wish list. Lots of info about their properties on the site:

https://www.5starequineproducts.com/products/english-saddle-pads

Love to hear from anyone who has one! They’re not trendy but the quality looks to be excellent – don’t know why I don’t see more of these.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TB_eventer;8598274]
This thread is perfect timing for me - I’m currently trying to decide between these two. For those of you who have used both, what is the biggest difference? Pros/cons? Without any shims, how thick are they?

TIA!![/QUOTE]

Give me until this weekend and I will tell you my opinions on both. I have both a prolite and a Thinline Trifecta (full sheepskin). I rode in the prolite yesterday and took notes regarding my ride and what I felt. I’m going to do the same when I ride in the Trifecta and compare notes.

[QUOTE=mydogs;8599586]
Give me until this weekend and I will tell you my opinions on both. I have both a prolite and a Thinline Trifecta (full sheepskin). I rode in the prolite yesterday and took notes regarding my ride and what I felt. I’m going to do the same when I ride in the Trifecta and compare notes.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks!! Can’t wait to hear your report!

I’ve used a Thinline pad ever since they came out (they were originally called a Rebound pad, gosh, am I dating myself!). Wears like iron and doesn’t alter your saddle fit. But, I use a half pad, haven’t tried the multiple shim type.

But having said that, for cushioning effect, sore or sensitive backs, I prefer the Prolite pad. To me it just seems to absorb a little more impact. And for me as a rider, it seems to cushion more.

Some folks are mentioning the Thinline Shearling pads. I have the Trifecta, which does not have shearling and does not seem to interfere with my feel of the horse.

FWIW, I use a plain Thinline pad (Ultra? Don’t know as the name has worn off after so many years!) over whatever pad works for the horse. One uses a Mattes because he’s a growing boy and needs the shims for now. Another uses a thin sheepskin over a baby pad. The Thinline goes on top whatever set up I’m using.

The Thinline I mean is 1/4 inch thick or so, and is just the shock absorbing material. I generally find them in the Dover basement or on sale for under $80. They continue to be my saddle fitter’s recommendation, set up as I’m using them. (The Saddle Doctor, Gary Severson: wonderful!)

Good for you for thinking about the mare.