Incompetent Physicians, Coming to Terms with Mental Disorders, and Frustration!

The post above reminded me - I hate to sound like one of those ‘this diet cured my EVERYTHING’ people, because ye gods are they annoying (and anyway, it hasn’t) but if you have any kind of inflammatory thing going on at all (which you probably do) then try cutting out high fructose corn syrup from your diet. Completely. Even in the sneaky hidden things. (Seriously, they put the crap in EVERYTHING.)

I had noticed a while ago that post having something I knew had HFCS in it, like an American Coke, that my joint pain seemed worse (this after I moved back from the UK, where they don’t really use it much at all) and so I’d kind of been avoiding it, but then recently my brother, who works for a pharma company, told me that sometimes to induce the effect of arthritis in rats they… Feed them high fructose corn syrup. So it was not all in my head!

Anyway, it’s kind of a pain to have to check, but it does seem to help my everyday pain to some degree. (It doesn’t take it away by any means, but it does reduce it - days when I slip and have a Coke or something, the next day I am often in enough pain in my ankles or knees that taking a hammer to them seems like it would hurt LESS. Unfortunately the change in stopping it isn’t as immediate - I think it takes a while for the inflammation levels in your body to drop.)

Fairly minor change, compared to a lot of the diets out there for pain/inflammation, so maybe worth trying?

[QUOTE=EqTrainer;5466456]
Please, please find a decent therapist. no one could be expected to go thru all you have been thru without professional help. You need someone to help you sort thru this… A friend just started going to a psychiatrist who specializes in pain management, perhaps thats a place to start?[/QUOTE]

Ditto. No one, even a super-uber-woman, could expected to endure what you’ve been going through without someone to talk to, to release your feelings, so to speak. As mentioned, your issues do not have to be psychologically-based for a psychologist or psychologist to help you.

Heck, the trauma of your TBI would be reason enough to go talk to someone to sort out your feelings!

Also, it is extremely important that you lay EVERYTHING on the table for your physicians. You mentioned the school psychologist doesn’t know your mom is bipolar - that information could be helpful to him as he tries to help you. If it takes finding a new doc that you feel comfortable enough to divulge everything, then so be it. It is so vitally important that your docs know your entire history (and that does include your family history).

Now, after having had 2 spinal fusions and countless MRI’s, yes, your MRI report is similar to about 90% of the US population. Having said that, facet joints can cause extreme pain, even if there is only a small amount of arthritis present.

Facet block injections are generally VERY effective and may provide years of relief. However, while I know some orthopaedic surgeons that will perform epidural injections, (I used to work for one - wouldn’t let him near my spine with a 10 foot pole), I would certainly seek out another pain management doc for any injection in the epidural space or facet joint.

Best wishes,
Taryn

For the condition I described a facet ablation can offer total pain relief. The nerves eventually grow back, but the procedure can be performed over and over, and can be performed on multiple facet joints without causing any loss of function to the patient. Takes about an hour; outpatient. Steroid injections are done first; to help verify the source of the pain. Sometimes the pain comes back, sometimes it doesn’t. If it does - the ablation can be performed.

I don’t mean to get frothy but I am fed up with medical pro’s making huge sweeping judgments about what patients can and cannot do - and I’m sick of the “it’s all in your head”. I thought we’d progressed beyond the “hysterical woman” era.

Just because a person is a little beat up is no reason to shove pills down their throat and stick them in a wheelchair. I guess it’s easier, though.

Recovery isn’t about getting ok. So that we can live in some sort of twilight.

Recovery is about getting better. To go back to our lives; to do the things that give our life meaning and joy.

It shouldn’t be so difficult for another human being to understand. And yet, drs and other medical pros make the most dramatic, sweeping comments; seemingly blind to the impact, the power, the words have over their patients.

“Can’t” never got anything done. You can’t do this, you can’t do that, can’t can’t can’t.

The patient, already suffering from an illness or injury and in a vulnerable state, is totally defeated and must overcome not only the injury or illness and the mental stress and anguish, but the prejudices and whims of the people in control of his health.

People who are strangers to the patient and know nothing about the patients life, hopes, dreams, goals and great passions. No one should have to fight their own bodies and minds and run that gauntlet too.

I hope the OP finds the right pro’s who can help her overcome her problems - so that she can pursue the life SHE wants to have. Best of luck to her.

[QUOTE=JSwan;5467144]
I don’t mean to get frothy but I am fed up with medical pro’s making huge sweeping judgments about what patients can and cannot do - and I’m sick of the “it’s all in your head”. I thought we’d progressed beyond the “hysterical woman” era.

Just because a person is a little beat up is no reason to shove pills down their throat and stick them in a wheelchair. I guess it’s easier, though.

Recovery isn’t about getting ok. So that we can live in some sort of twilight.

Recovery is about getting better. To go back to our lives; to do the things that give our life meaning and joy.

It shouldn’t be so difficult for another human being to understand. And yet, drs and other medical pros make the most dramatic, sweeping comments; seemingly blind to the impact, the power, the words have over their patients.

“Can’t” never got anything done. You can’t do this, you can’t do that, can’t can’t can’t.

[B]The patient, already suffering from an illness or injury and in a vulnerable state, is totally defeated and must overcome not only the injury or illness and the mental stress and anguish, but the prejudices and whims of the people in control of his health.

People who are strangers to the patient and know nothing about the patients life, hopes, dreams, goals and great passions. No one should have to fight their own bodies and minds and run that gauntlet too. I hope the OP finds the right pro’s who can help her overcome her problems - so that she can pursue the life SHE wants to have. Best of luck to her.[/QUOTE][/B]

JSwan, this is one of the most insightful posts I’ve read in a long time. I bolded two portions of your quote because of my experience working with the first orthopaedic surgeon I was employed by. He was just about the best technical surgeon in the area. He was the head ortho surgeon for a pro soccer team. Yet, he booked 4 patients in every 15-minute time slot and had the absolute worst bedside manner I’ve ever seen. I spent my time working with him taking the patient’s history, assisting with joint injections and casting fractures, appyling splints, explaining why and how splints or a surgical procedure were beneficial for the patients’ condition, etc. and then apologizing to the patient for his horrible manners. Happened with just about every single patient. Sad, sad, sad.

The second day I worked with him, he pulled me aside and proceeded to chew me a new one because I took longer taking a patient’s history than he liked. I looked him square in the eye and told him “I needed to take the time in order to take a PROPER history so YOU can do YOUR job efficiently”. Seemed that gained his respect and we had a great working relationship ever since.

It is unfortunate that patients need to stand up to their doctors but it’s a very real situation that happens way too often.

Megan, please seek the help you need. You’ve had so much trauma (physical and emotional), if you don’t get it out by talking to someone, I fear it will fester and eat you up. Take care of yourself and please PM if you like, I’m always willing to talk :slight_smile:

Taryn

You guys, you’re amazing. Really.

Ok, so I have a few confessions to make - to myself and to you.

My pain doctor did not leave me completely without options. In fact, I think he gave me some pretty good ones, I was just so mad and angry and in denial that I didn’t want them. OHSU has a pretty comprehensive pain management center and a great physical therapy program. He referred me to a pain management psychologist and to physical therapy and he wants me to see him again after the initial consultations/evaluations. Yeah, his bedside manner lacks tact and he is very blunt, but maybe for someone like me, that’s what I need.

So after a very long day I drove out to see my mare - the one solid rock in my life who is always there for me. I sat in the stall next to her while she was munching away and I just cried. I was so scared. Every once in a while she would nuzzle my head like “Mom, you’re kind of weird, but you feed me so I love you.” I realized when I was sitting there, after bemoaning how damned hard it is to actually live my life, that if I want to take care of her (and I do - I love her more than I can express. She’s been the only constant, good thing in my life for the past 7 years. She has saved my life on more than one occasion) I have to get better. I can’t be everything she needs me to be when I’m such a mess. I hugged her and I promised her (again, like I’ve done so many times) that I would never leave her and I would do whatever it takes to give her the best life I possibly can. After all she’s done for me, she deserves nothing less.

When I came home, my two kitties were waiting for me, like they always are. My little one flopped over and demanded tummy rubs and the not-so-bright one just curled up on my lap and started purring like there was no tomorrow. I love those kitties almost as much as I love my mare. I want to be healthy for them too.

It was a long, pretty sleepless night. I was up just thinking about everything and what I need to do. Just before I finally fell asleep I decided that I am going to pursue the treatment options my doctor gave me. Maybe the first visit didn’t go so well, but maybe he was having a bad day. But I think it would be kind of foolish to just throw it all out the window without even trying. So I will. I asked one of my very dearest friends to go with me, because I am going to need some support I think and I’m ready to do this on my own - by that I mean doing it without my mom. She’s been to every appointment with me since the accident and she is kind of controlling my healthcare, let alone my life. It’s like she wants to be the mom she never was. But I’m almost 23 years old, I’m independent as hell (something she taught me in a twisted way to be), and I need to take back that independence and control I lost after the TBI. Besides, she doesn’t want me to pursue this treatment option - she wants me to see the ortho dr - but I do. I have to do SOMETHING to make the pain go away. Why not start here?

And as far as the mental health goes. I’ve already said I want to get better, but I’ve wanted that for a long time. The old standby method “of deny and ignore until it fixes itself” is clearly not working here, but I was still in denial. But when I was up last night trying to study to take my mind off things, I thought about everything I want to do with my life: become a great physician to help people like me who have gone through brain injuries and orthopedic injuries and rehabilitation and all those things…things that no one who actually treats people like that knows how it feels to BE a person like that. How I want to ride and become the best rider I can be, how I want to become the best endurance athlete I can be, and how someday I want to have a solid, stable family and be the best mother I can be to however many children I am blessed with. As I was thinking about that, I said “no matter what…” and just as I said that I looked up to the wall where all my myriad of show ribbons and road race numbers are pinned to my wall, and just above all of those is a wall sticker with the quote from Thoreau that says " Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." I realized that’s what I’m going to do. No matter what, I’m going to go confidently in the direction of my dreams. And then I looked over to the framed collage my mom made me of photos from the horse trials my mare and I did after she was hit by a car and fought her way back to me. It has some of my favorite pictures of us put together and a quote that says “Courage is the ability to overcome obstacles along the course.” This whole thing - the TBI, epilepsy, the mental health battle - everything is just another obstacle along my course. I seem to have a few more obstacles than a lot of people, but also a hell of a lot less than some of the most courageous people I know. If they can do it, so can I.

When I woke up this morning and an unholy early hour, the only thing I wanted to do was stay in my bed for the rest of my life. It was warm and safe there and I wouldn’t have to face anything. But I said no. I got up and I did something I haven’t done in weeks. I went running. No watch, no music, no heart rate monitor, no GPS. Just me and my heart and my lungs and my legs carrying me to somewhere I need to go. I only ran about 2.5 miles (holy cow am I ever out of shape) and I didn’t look at the time, I didn’t try to track my pace, I didn’t let the endurance athlete take over my run. I made ME take over my run. It was like I was taking control of my life again. I was saying “Pain, you no longer control me. Ef you. Brain injury, seizures, you guys are here to stay, so let’s be friends.” So many thoughts were going through my head, but I was able to sort some of them out. I’m ready to take control again.

I don’t know if I have bipolar disorder. I don’t know if I have PTSD. I do know that I have been diagnosed on more than one occasion with anxiety disorder and clinical depression, and ADHD when I was very young. I do know that I need help to sort this whole thing out. My psychologist at school has been so amazing at helping me sort through the TBI and epilepsy, but I’ve also been holding back a lot of things from him. I don’t want to do that anymore. He asked for a copy of the neuropsychological assessment I did in January, and I’m dropping off a copy for him today. On that report he’ll see something that I’ve denied him access to and that I’ve denied myself: my “clinically significant” mania score and the “at-risk” scores for sense of inadequacy, somatization, and attention from the Behavior Assessment System. We are going to go over the full report together because there is a lot of psychology jargon that I don’t really understand, and we’ll talk about it then. I’ll talk to the pain management psychologist too, and I will try my hardest to disclose everything that could be important.

I don’t know what the true issue is that’s going on here, and I know none of you know exactly what it is nor should you try to tell me. But the advice and support you’ve given me just over the last 18 hours reminds me of why I come here so often. Because we’re a group of people that struggle and fight together to take back what has been taken from us.

I’m ready to do that. I’m ready to try anything. Medication, psychotherapy, physical therapy, alternative treatments…anything that has the possibility of helping me out of this mess.

But right now I have an immediate obstacle to overcome: it’s dead week and finals week is sneaking up with all the grace of an elephant on amphetamines. I’m taking 19 credits this term and three of my classes are going ridiculously well, as is my year-long research project (who knew collecting forage samples could be so much fun?! People look at you weird when they open your freezer and it’s full of ziplock bags of pasture grass!), but my biochemistry grade could use some help. It’s completely salvageable at this point, but not if I procrastinate anymore. So this week - until next Tuesday at 9:30 am - is going to be a biochemistry study marathon (throw in some MCAT prep stuff to…the time doth speedily come for that as well :/). I study best by myself, but I’ve got a lot of friends in that class who can help me when I need them. I’m going to be ready for this final. I’m gonna own it and I’m going to have a killer GPA this term, the next term, and every term after so that when medical schools look at my application they’ll say “Hey, this kid is killer. She is going to be a great physician.”

The obstacles ahead of me are going to be pretty damn tough. But I think I’m ready.

Hang in there kiddo.

It may take a while, but it will get better. Sometimes life just sucks; Dead week is one of those times. I’ve been on the pain roller coaster for years now, and still have dark times, not something we talk about in my job. I have a friend who has reliably kicked me in the butt when I’ve needed it (wallowing in self pity & a bit of vodka) for the last 10 years. If you don’t have someone who will send you at least R rated emails on request, I would recommend you find someone. They do wonders.

A little bit of Scarlett O’Hara helps too. - I will deal with this tomorrow. Or It will be better tomorrow. Give yourself an out.

I was about your age when I got hurt, but not nearly as bad. The hardest part was the wondering - am I going to be able to do x, y, or z? Will I always feel like this? Damn this sucks.
The hard part now - trying to decipher what aches/pains/etc are fallout from the wreck, and which are normal aging? Grandma was right about one thing - getting old sucks.

I am so happy to read your last post. Good for you! I feel like you’re grabbing this issue by the horns and saying “YOU will NOT control me or my life”.

I think the idea of bringing your friend to your appointment is a great idea.

However, consider printing out your first post (if not all your posts on this thread) and giving it to your friend. In a sealed envelope, if that makes you feel better.

When you go to your appointment with your friend, if you find it’s just too damn hard to lay it all out to the doctor, have your friend give the doctor what you’ve written.

The doctor will have all your history right there as well as your feelings.

That will give you and the doctor a great starting point.

Best of luck with your upcoming exams! And you WILL beat this. I mean, I’m clear across the country in NJ - but I can tell from what you’ve written that you have incredible internal strength and character. And that will take you a long way in life. You WILL be a kick-ass physician!

My very best wishes,

Taryn

Focus on the most important things in your life.
You have a treasure in your horse and cats.
My big Arabian was so sympathetic when I did the same as you. I went out to the barn and cried my heart out. He was so concerned he nosed me all over and just rested his head on my shoulder. I had to stop doing that because it upset him so much.
Don’t set your goals so high you can’t reach them. Set sensible goals and accomplish them.
At least you can still run. I can’t.
It is so hard to get on Disability now because of all the cheaters I don’t expect to get any of that. So I keep on keepi’n on.
Getting help to deal with your feelings and how to deal with the pain is not a sign of weaknes. It is a sign of wisdom.
You are still young. You have a long life ahead of you. You can do it and do it well.
You have many people who care. Please believe our best wishes are with you.
Kind regards, sadlmkr

You go, girl. You have a good plan. Get through Biochemistry, and then fine tune your plan to deal with the other issues. Use those bipolar genes for what they are good for; the energy to study hard, learn well, be good at biochemistry, and be a good physician.

I think you have just hit upon one of the most important things there is to know… In order to be a person who can take care of others, you have to first learn to take care of yourself. Congratulations :yes:

[QUOTE=Coanteen;5466833]
I don’t know if any of your doctors mentioned this about chronic pain, but sometimes basically the nerve pathway involving an area that had been injured and in pain for a while gets “confused” and the pathway will take normal signals as pain even after the area essentially heals. So you can scan and scan and see nothing, and it’s not in your head (only inasmuch as the experience of pain is there, of course).[/QUOTE]

My husband has this after his knee replacement 10 years ago and revision 7 years ago. His knee hurts all the time. It hurts to the point that he has even asked the doctors to amputate, but they say that even if his leg is gone it will most likely hurt. Chronic pain is a tough thing to live with.

I applaud you for being able to put your feelings down in writing is such an organised and mature way. Hang in there.

Agree 100%.

And as someone who has plenty of experience with doctors, for myself and other people, I honestly think that when you’re going for anything major or complicated, taking someone you trust along with you is a FANTASTIC idea. They don’t need to be there for the actual exam, but when the doctor is talking to you - often since they’re that little bit more emotionally distanced from things, they’ll hear things you miss, or remember to mention something you’ve forgotten, or just plain can talk to you about it after the appointment and help you sort things out in your head. (ETA: Just make sure you talk to them a little before the appointment about the role you want them to play - if you want them to just listen, or if you’d like it if they spoke up if they think you’re leaving something out or if they’ve noticed something you haven’t.)

I do it every time I go to talk about a new treatment option for my psoriatic arthritis, because the treatments all have some sort of risk involved, and even though it’s not anything new for me, it’s REALLY helpful to have someone to talk to who heard the same things I did when I’m trying to figure out if the risks and possible side effects are worth trying the new treatment.

I forgot to do the multi-quote thing, but I really agree with JSwan’s post, too - I have more stories than I can count of doctors reading a chart and making huge sweeping assumptions about what it means about what the patient can do, what the patient might want to do… There are a handful of doctors out there who are really excellent, but a lot of them are just FRUSTRATING. The last thing you need when you have some kind of major health issue to deal with is to be basically in a position of fighting with your doctor(s) also.

I just want to let you know I am just so inspired by your last message, and agree with the intervening replies…you WILL prevail! You go girl! Good luck and keep us posted.

To the OP, I am very sorry for the ordeal you have been through. I agree with others who have suggested that you find a good counselor to help you sort out the myriad emotions that come with such a traumatic injury and difficult recovery. I also like the suggestion that you consider additional methods of pain management such as Reiki and Acupuncture. I saw firsthand what Reiki did for my pony, and I benefitted from it, too. My niece had acupuncture treatments at Children’s Hospital for pain and it helped her.

J Swan, I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I am very interested in the procedure you mention, the facet ablation. I have a friend with RSD and she has been through a nightmare of treatments trying to find relief for nerve pain in her foot. I finally told her about the low neurectomy we had done on one of our elderly horses that gave him an additional 18 pain-free years when traditional treatments for Navicular didn’t help. I wondered if there was something like that for humans…is that procedure similar?

Vegas, I wish healing for you and better days ahead.

You are NOT alone my friend, and I call you my friend as I feel we could be soul mates…I have had Fibro since about the age of 17 but never diagnosed until I was 35, I am now 49.For years it was all in my head, or so I was told, after awhile I ALMOST began to believe it. Then I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, well, who wouldn’t be depressed and anxious after years of debilitating pain and a diagnosis that it was all in my head. Then I had a discectomy at c5-c6, even though years of MRI’s never revealed much damage.The only red flag was involuntary arm movements being caused by a blown out disc, that somehow could not be verified by MRI.During surgery, they were very surprised to find what they did. Only to recover from that and feel like a new person, and suffer from a horrific riding accident where I ruptured my liver, and yes, almost died…talk about being ANGRY! yes!My body/mind has never recovered completely, and it’s been 12 years. My oldest daughter was diagnosed with bi-polar at age 17, and after that initial crisis I pretty much lost it! But I have learned thru tears and tantrums and a sense of humor and a good therapist, that I always do the best I can, and that is all I can do…some days will be better than others, and when I have a bad day,I know that tomorrow is a new day, and I have hope that as long as I can still manage to do one postive thing each day, I have been successful.

Some things I have learned that have been helpful for me:
Forgiveness is a powerful healer…
Forgive your Doctors for they are only human
Forgive God, for he has a purpose that you may not yet understand.
Forgive yourself, for you will always do the best you can no matter what your limitations
Forgive your body, for being broken and giving you limitations.
Forgive your mother, for not being able to be the mother you wanted her to be.(This was a big one for me!)

Love who you are…
Love what you do…
Love the things that make you happy…
and concentrate on the blessings in your life no matter how small you think they may be.

you can control how you live your life, don’t let life control how you live…

It has taken me YEARS of counseling to come to all the above. I have been married for 22 years, have 2 beautiful young adult daughters, 5 horses and a 10 acre farm, and I manage them all on my own.It’s far from perfect, or the life I thought I would have, but I count my blessings daily…cause despite all the bad, there is way more good!!

I wish you all the best!!!

OP I just wanted to say you are so brave and you’re doing the right thing for yourself. I’ve seen friends’ and relatives’ lives derailed because they couldn’t face the types of issues you’re facing-chronic pain (and their associated Rx drug addiction), anxiety disorders, depression. It’s easy to “diagnose” others but it’s much harder to acknowledge your own deep thoughts and fears. It takes incredible strength of will to see yourself and take charge. Hold on to your determination and it will take you so far.

Thanks again everyone. You guys are the ones who help me, I think. I don’t feel very brave or courageous or inspiring or strong or determined. In fact, I’m still pretty scared. But I just feel like I have to do what I have to do. I mean, if you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

Today was a pretty good day. There were times I felt very scared and very sad, but I also felt a sort of peace and reassurance that things are going to turn out alright. I even laughed and joked with my friends quite a bit today - Animal Science majors have the most fun :slight_smile:

I had a moment today of “I used to be that person” after I saw something that reminded me of one of my pinnacle achievements in life. It took me a few minutes to get out of my own head, so to speak. After I could see logically again, I realized that things are actually going pretty well: I did my dishes, I have clean laundry, I went grocery shopping so I can actually eat, I still wake up and shower and dress myself every morning, I brush my teeth before I go to bed, I go out to see my mare every day…It’s those little things that tell me I still have some semblance of control and that things are not totally gone.

I took the report to my counselor so he can see it and I’m sure I’ll be hearing from him soon. I scheduled my appointments for physical therapy and follow up with Dr. Charm, and we’re just waiting on the insurance pre-auth for the pain psychologist.

I paid attention in class and tried to take good notes (thank the GPA Gods that I have great notetakers in all my classes through disability access), I went to the feed store before I was scraping the last hay cube out of the feed bin, and I managed my bills.

Yep, I’d say that all things considered, I’m doing pretty okay. I definitely still need a lot of help, but I’m getting there, one day at a time.

kdow, it’s interesting you bring up diet and nutrition. I’m horrrrible at keeping a good diet. I eat like a hungover freshman frat boy. Not so good for an endurance athlete. I try to do what I can, but I CANNOT cook (seriously, I failed at the crock pot of all things just the other night) nor do I have the time to. I try to be as conscientious as I can be - after we learned the biochemistry of WHY high-fructose corn syrup makes you fat and messes with your biochemistry, I try to keep it to a minimum. I think it’s like all things - moderation is key. I mean, we naturally consume fructose when we eat fruit or even table sugar (which is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose), but when you overwhelm the system with fructose (which is NOT processed by the body the same way as glucose) things just don’t work as they should. I do still have a weakness for fruit snacks though. They’re pure HFCS, but they’re so delicious. Especially when they’re Spongebob shapes. Who can resist that?!

Dead Week and Finals are an especially difficult time for me to eat healthy, because I am just so crazy busy and I eat whatever is within my reach. Add in a period like this where I am emotionally stressed beyond belief and my GI stuff just shuts down and says “Nope. You’d better not try to eat anything or you’ll regret it.” So I’ve been trying to reset the system and pick up a real diet again. And I was very proud of myself when I went shopping today as I bought only healthy things for finals. Except the bag of marshmallows. They were calling my name. I tell myself I burn off the calories running and moving 700 lbs of feed.

But to your original point, yes, I do think diet plays a huge role in so many things we don’t understand. By no means is it a cure-all, but it definitely gets things going on the right track.

There is a book called “The Food Revolution” How Your diet can save your life and our world, by John Robbins. I picked it up at Whole Foods.

It will open your eyes up to what you put in your body, besides HFCS, sulfites are another…and for my daughter, we found out that wheat and oat products were bad for her as well, who Knew???All these years I thoguht wheat products were good for her…

Be proactive in your recovery, you’re off to a good start! Educate yourself as much as you can…you’ll make it!!! Good Luck on finals!!

Now, get to work and study that biochemistry. We’re all supportive now, but we won’t be if you don’t study the biochemistry and then fail the class! Biochemistry and chemistry are always sensitive subjects in my family. We’re all a little LD, and the chemistries seem to bring out all of our LD issues. Advanced physiology; no problem. Chemistries; oh no, no, no, not another chemistry.

Study!!

[QUOTE=Vegas Sky;5469166]

kdow, it’s interesting you bring up diet and nutrition. I’m horrrrible at keeping a good diet. I eat like a hungover freshman frat boy. Not so good for an endurance athlete…[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally understand where you’re coming from there. I’m a college senior and this term I’m trying to MAKE myself pack lunches (bought a nice lunch container and bag and everything so I’ll feel guilty about not using it) so I don’t just eat whatever junk there is.

In theory, the college cafeteria has ‘healthy’ options also (it is a school with a huge dance program, after all) but a) it’s expensive and b) it’s not that quick. So I normally end up going to the cafe place instead which is all prepackaged sandwiches and fried stuff and overpriced, which tends to result in selecting the highest calorie stuff so I get the most bang for the buck, as it were. But that doesn’t make for good nutrition.

That said, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with including treats in a healthy diet. Before Throwback Pepsi and Mexican (i.e. made with sugar) Coke became easier to get in my area, I’d still have the occasional soft drink, but it was occasional, and generally as a reward for something. (Like if I had a lot of studying to do for a test, then a soda to sip while I was studying was my ‘reward’ for working on it.)

So, you know, have a few marshmallows. Just don’t make them an entire meal. :slight_smile: Actually, right now, I also have a bag of Reeses mini peanut butter eggs in my ‘stuff for packed lunch’ drawer, because they’re also a nice little treat, and pack well, plus since there’s some protein and fat as well as sugar, they make for a reasonably useful ‘pick me up’ if class feels like it’s dragging, because you don’t get a sugar high and then crash right away. (I currently have 9 hours of class in one day, so there is not much room for carb-crash in my schedule. :slight_smile: )