Unlimited access >

Indoor to outdoor cat

My Dusty Peaches has recently decided that, to enjoy her best life, she would like to leave the deck and go to the ground occasionally. Both kitties are going to the vet for extra shots tomorrow as a consequence.
Ginger and Dusty Peaches are chipped. I am going to get an ID collar for Dusty, but I’m not sure how she will do with one.
Any recommendations for flea/tick prevention? I am in the Raleigh, NC area. The vet did not seem concerned, but I am.

I’m right over the state line in East TN and topical Advantage and Revolution both still work well for my cats. (One or the other, obviously—not both at the same time.)

Frontline stopped working on the local flea population years ago.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m going with Advantage. On the vet’s advice, Ginger shouldn’t need anything since she doesn’t go out.
I can’t resist asking if you are Jody Jaffe. I doubt it because of your location, but my brain wants to know lol!

Lol! I wish I were—from her books and the columns she used to write on COTH, she sounds like a hoot!

Just an owner (and fan) of several sterotypical chestnut mares over my lifetime…

1 Like

I have always been a gelding owner - but my sister had a wonderful chestnut mare. Absolutely gorgeous, but she did what she did, Conformation classes, leadline, walk-trot.

She did not do what was outside of her scope. Or, in her opinion, what was her job. No misbehavior, just a flat refusal lol.

1 Like

I was looking at my history for some reason (actually, trying to see which people liked a particular post - can that be done? can’t figure it out).

Dusty Peaches enjoyed her indoor outdoor lifestyle for about 1 month before she disappeared. Despite a tracking dog (twice) at least 150 signs, multiple feeding stations and trail cams, we have not seen her since then. The dog at least believes she’s alive. We are praying that someone has taken her in and is just ignoring all the signs and SM posts.

Does anyone know if a vet will check for a chip if she is brought in with no history? She has some health issues and had been on a prescription diet for several years.

Also, we did not (per the vet) put Ginger on flea meds at the same time as Dusty Peaches, since Ginger never left the deck AFAIK. She did end up with fleas after Dusty went missing. Not sure if she went outside or if I brought them back on me while I was putting out feeding stations in multiple locations for weeks and weeks.

I am resigned to the fact that Dusty Peaches is gone, although I hold out some hope from personal and anecdotal experience that she might just show back up one day.

On bad days, I am certain I caused her loss, directly or indirectly,. It was my decision to give her freedom to roam. I truly believed that after minimum two and a half YEARS in a rescue and 3+ years with me later that she would just enjoy a little freedom and exploration. I truly never anticipated this outcome.

2 Likes

absolutely.
Make sure it’s updated

I hope Dusty Peaches comes home
Do you have game cameras around your yard?

I’m so sorry. We all have regrets with regard to our pets. Sometimes our best intentions fall short. Cats do like being outside. I worry about our two barn cats. Sometimes one doesn’t show up for nighttime lock up.

2 Likes

Jody Jaffe posts under her own name. She actually posted a couple of days ago

There is one in our yard. The other two we have moved according to the search dog handler’s advice Bravo K911, if anyone has heard of them.

I updated the chip company so she should be flagged as missing. ,

The cameras were installed after she didn’t come home. We didn’t have any prior.

2 Likes

You did what you felt was best at that moment in time. I’m sorry to read your update. It is hard weighing the pros and the cons, the risks and rewards of indoor/outdoor kitties. I really hope she comes home. Don’t lose hope - if those ~150 flyers are gone, consider posting them on FB occasionally too in local groups. I’ve seen wonderful stories about reunions years after the fact. Keep a flyer at the local vets, too.

Big hugs. I had indoor/outdoor cats growing up - we lived on a farm. One day I did mental inventory of how many of my parent’s cats actually made it into advanced age. The number was sobering and that was the day I decided every cat I owned going forward was indoor only. It’s tough since they all want to go outside and we want to humor them. I put up a catio. It is not the same as free rein, but, that’s the deal if you’re a jobless cat that lives rent free in my house. I hope you find Dusty Peaches soon.

3 Likes