Unlimited access >

Inexpensive Shedrow Options??

Hello - new to COTH and new to owning horses. May do one year trial with two horses we currently ride. Have space for pasture but need shedrow/barn/run-in. Anyone have good supplier of these they would recommend? Want to keep price undee control as we are doing trial and if it doesnt work out after a year we don’t want to have wasted too much money! And, any recommendations on type etc? Thanks! We are in Boston area.

Klene p![](pe portable kits http://www.klenepipe.com/run-in-horse-shelter-kits/. I can’t say they are cheap though. They are a pipe frame that you finish yourself, ours is a 3 bay model that we put on a foundation to level it out and give us something to fasten to, looks like this [IMG]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/10991137_950336278333067_5634907588632465033_n.jpg?oh=59c4bf74a752826b4ee6220652f7f91e&oe=578CB2E0) The individual run ins can be as simple as you want. I think there must be something closer to your area, perhaps Amish built, that would be cheaper, or get an Animal Housing book from Storey and build your own.

Many people create run-ins from metal carports, often siding them on three or three and one-half sides. In my area they run about $800 for 12x18 installed (not including walls or site prep). I’d be cautious if your area is prone to lightning, but here in NW Oregon we have 100 ft. fir trees as lightning rods.

Here’s one finished off as a barn with stalls for miniature horses. For full-sized horses, even a larger carport would probably work better as a run-in.
http://www.mulligansrun.com/ourbarn.php

If you have any carpentry skill, you can build one yourself. We built ours on our leased property for ~ $1000 with all new materials from Lowes. It’s about 10’x24’ divided into two 10’x12’ stalls. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/tryphena1/10291831_621798983191_1879654450704256478_n_zpsfd6zy6ji.jpg

[QUOTE=susanne;8569627]
Many people create run-ins from metal carports, often siding them on three or three and one-half sides. In my area they run about $800 for 12x18 installed (not including walls or site prep). I’d be cautious if your area is prone to lightning, but here in NW Oregon we have 100 ft. fir trees as lightning rods.

Here’s one finished off as a barn with stalls for miniature horses. For full-sized horses, even a larger carport would probably work better as a run-in.
http://www.mulligansrun.com/ourbarn.php[/QUOTE]

Those people did a super nice job

I don’t know if your budget would consider these “inexpensive”, but people who have them (& have posted here) seem very pleased.

https://www.horizonstructures.com/horse-barns/shedrow-horse-barns

[QUOTE=vxf111;8569798]
Those people did a super nice job[/QUOTE]

No kidding… with that level of craftsmanship and ability, why did they even need the carport structure? Surely they could have done the roof on their own.

You will disappoint yourself if you don’t do some sort of site prep too. We had an existing 12 x 24 pole barn building up here that was basically a mud pit with a roof over it. After the first year we had lowered the grade outside enough that the grade inside was now higher and drier, but it took 6 big pigs to take care of that, or probably 32 man hours of stump removal, backhoe work and grading.
We built a pole structure when I was a teen and eventually put in a floor like the dairy barns, when the horses were gone the wood got used for a deck and a few other things.

Re that gorgeous little barnlet, I think sometimes people just need a starting point, that was us. DH was going to build the Taj of run ins out of local stone and I wanted something quick, as it was he just HAD to have that perfect site built up to put it on so our kit sat for three years. If he’d of built it out of stone we still wouldn’t have one, or his back would be blown out I’m afraid.

Your location will have a huge effect on what you should consider. You have weather and need different protection for the horses and your equipment than in the west, etc.

One thing that you won’t regret is talking to a lot of other horse keepers (as you are doing here) and visiting a lot of barns. Talk to people- and beware the false economy of building something cheap instead of good.

Horses are big, destructive, and expensive to repair, so strong, well-planned, appropriate housing for them is very important. Site planning, materials, and ease of use will vary greatly from owner to owner, but you can’t possibly ask too many questions, or visit too many facilities (any size will yield good ideas!) before you take the plunge.

Do read here the many posts about whether people would keep horses at home or not, given a second chance. There is no right or wrong answer but do some soul-searching before you commit to the 24/7 nature of keeping thousand-pound silly beasties in the yard… some people love it and some people have a life that doesn’t blend with the cost or commitment to keep horses at home.

Good luck/have fun!

Your location will have a huge effect on what you should consider. You have weather and need different protection for the horses and your equipment than in the west, etc.

One thing that you won’t regret is talking to a lot of other horse keepers (as you are doing here) and visiting a lot of barns. Talk to people- and beware the false economy of building something cheap instead of good.

Horses are big, destructive, and expensive to repair, so strong, well-planned, appropriate housing for them is very important. Site planning, materials, and ease of use will vary greatly from owner to owner, but you can’t possibly ask too many questions, or visit too many facilities (any size will yield good ideas!) before you take the plunge.

Do read here the many posts about whether people would keep horses at home or not, given a second chance. There is no right or wrong answer but do some soul-searching before you commit to the 24/7 nature of keeping thousand-pound silly beasties in the yard… some people love it and some people have a life that doesn’t blend with the cost or commitment to keep horses at home.

Good luck/have fun!

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8570171]
No kidding… with that level of craftsmanship and ability, why did they even need the carport structure? Surely they could have done the roof on their own.[/QUOTE]

Too bad we don’t have our rendition up – it will be an example of people who need the carport structure!

I recently built a 16’ x 12’ (interior dimensions, there is a roof overhang) for around $2,000-$2,500 (we had to rent a skid) in materials when all was said and done. That includes the mats, kickboards, etc. 10’ tall on the short side. It’s in my blog. I did it in a way that I could add a mirror structure and have a little barn in the future if I wanted.

I probably over built it structurally, but I figured horses are destructive, and I wanted it to last forever. The building inspector was very complimentary. :wink:

Jamaica Cottage Shop is right in VT and will drop something off complete. Great people to work with.

I bought my shed from Woodtex at the Equine Affaire one year. Got a fantastic deal, would highly recommend, but Jamaica Cottage Shop is probably going to be cheaper just because of location.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8570171]
No kidding… with that level of craftsmanship and ability, why did they even need the carport structure? Surely they could have done the roof on their own.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was thinking. 18x20x10 carport of decent quality around here cost around $2,000±.

The expensive part is not the structure. Walls and interior, stalls, doors, hardware, windows etc is what adds up considerably. Especially if paying for labor.

I bet would bet the materials for a “pole framed” building would be cheaper. Any you have something that would add value to the property.

But may also add to one’s property taxes.

A friend just sold a 4 stall (10x10 stalls) pre-made horse barn for around I think $4,000+ in excellent condition and well made. Because it is considered a non-permanent structure in our neck of the wood it did not increase their property tax.

They can be had used but sell quickly. Anybody considering one check into what it will cost to move. It requires a big truck and trailer made to pick up and move onto the trailer. Depending on distance it can be expensive.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;8577881]
Jamaica Cottage Shop is right in VT and will drop something off complete. Great people to work with.

I bought my shed from Woodtex at the Equine Affaire one year. Got a fantastic deal, would highly recommend, but Jamaica Cottage Shop is probably going to be cheaper just because of location.[/QUOTE]
I’ll just add that Hillview Mini Barns is another great local shop & that in my part of eastern MA, there are many Horizon barns. I have one, it’s great, and my neigbhor’s 3-stall + feed room shedrow with an overhang is lovely.

OP, check your local zoning verrrrryyy carefully – most MA towns are loaded with 3 things: antique land use regulations, new & stiff environmental protections, and litigious neighbors. Unless you’re in a right to farm community, do a lot of homework before you proceed.

[QUOTE=2DogsFarm;8569924]
I don’t know if your budget would consider these “inexpensive”, but people who have them (& have posted here) seem very pleased.

https://www.horizonstructures.com/horse-barns/shedrow-horse-barns[/QUOTE]

These are beautiful!