Unlimited access >

Info on TB Mare - Con Game

I have a mare who is line bred to Con Game (3 x 3). On the sire’s side through Seeking the Gold and on the dam’s side through Fast Play. Here is her pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/astera2

I know it is common to line breed to stallions (Astera is also 3 x 3 to Seattle Slew), but it is less common it seems to line breed to mares.

Does anyone have information about Con Game?

Thanks in advance!

Con Game was a famous Phipps mare.

Here’s a BloodHorse story about her: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/3631/con-game-dam-of-seeking-the-gold-euthanized

Interesting cross. Can’t say how successful line breeding to the dam side of things is. It has been practiced far more on the male side of things with great success. I think I will email this question to a couple of the pedigree “oracles” that I know and IMO get far more press then they deserve. As I often rib them about.

There are a lot of “names” in this pedigree that I know very well. And brings back some fond memories. My father and I, I say “I” very loosely because he allowed me to bid on a daughter of Con Game which cost “us” a few hundred thousand before Seeking the Gold came along. The mare did very good for us/client. And sold for a LOT of money when the client died and his horses were dispersed.

Mutakddim was a moderate stakes winner. Seeking the Gold a top racehorse and very good sire. But was a better sire of fillies then colts. He is not really regarded as a “sire of sires” either. One of his best sons on the track and the breeding shed Dubai Millennium.
The Phipps’ rarely offer of their horses to the open market. And if they have a stakes winning colt of any regard it will almost certainly go to stud at Claiborne.

Mutakddim didn’t make the “cut”. He was sold to one of my very favorite clients in Argentina and was “duel hemisphered” meaning covered mares in in North and South. Standing at Hill N Dale stud KY in the “north”. He did very well in Argentina and equally well in the “north”. He was a “solid” stallion for his fee. Which “floated” and peaked around $15g.
Pretty darn good for a stallion prospect that sold for a very moderate price. The price I can’t reveal. But it is safe to say that both parties made a lot of money. But not the seller.

Fast Play if memory serves was trained by Wayne Lukas. A beautiful well made horse that was more then good on the track. Not a top son of SS but he did go to stud with a bit of anticipation and expectation. Which unfortunately he did not live up to. I think he was sold to Turkey.

The tail female is very “old school” IMO. Double Jay was a top broodmare sire and would bet this traces back even further to some of the “greats”.

I would bet your mare is pretty good looking and well made.

As LauraB posted Con Game passed recently and so did Mutakddim.

Mineshaft is actually by A.P. Indy.

Thank you for your detailed response gumtree. It looks like Con Game was a good mare for Claiborne. My mare is not what I would consider “pretty”, rather I would call her “handsome”. I do however think she is well put together. Larger framed, 16.2, solid bay. From her old racing reports I often found the word “determined” to describe her (whether she won the race or not). That word also suits her personality well. This link has a couple of pictures of her that I uploaded:
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/db.php?i=10721366&time=1397834526

FWIW, Seeking the Gold’s best son on the track and potentially in the shed was Dubai Millennium.

Phipps mares are generally not beauty queens but they can run and often produce.
Con Game was a sister to Reviewer (sire of Ruffian and Revidere) and produced Stacked Pack who was a solid NY sire for a time. (Also somewhat plain of appearance.) Fast Play was a nice horse, a bit below the best of his generation for Phipps/McGaughey. He resembled the Seattle Slew side of his family a bit more if I recall correctly.

Con Game was a half sister to Reviewer, being by Buckpasser. Reviewer was by Bold Ruler.

[QUOTE=LaurieB;7535799]
Mineshaft is actually by A.P. Indy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction!

I don’t know what I was thinking. Other then I was working on a mating for a Seeking the Gold mare. And then a mare possibly going to Petionville. Who is one of the best sons of Seeking the Gold along with Cape Town in this country and Dubai Millennium in Europe.
I think it would be safe to say that Seeking the Gold was considered a better sire of fillies then colts.