Injury at-home care

My FIL had a bad accicent this past weekend and has some serious (but mendable) injuries. Broken ribs, fractured scapula, several fractured vertebrae (including C1), and serious abrasions across his whole back. We are trying to start thinking about things he will need or make his care & my MIL’s life easier when he gets home from the hospital. Figured a cane to help him get in & out of a chair, a shower seat, a raised lap desk for him to be able to read (he will be in a neck brace for 6-8 weeks)… What suggestions do you guys have? Thank you!

I know this isn’t really particularly rider-related, but I thought you guys may have some good insight. Mods, I understand if you take it down if you feel it doesn’t belong.

I would personally recommend getting his home reviewed by an home health care occupational therapist (OT). One of their (OT) responsibilities are ADL, Activities of Daily Living.

They can help with what your FIL should have in order to live safely at home. If he’s still in the hospital, start working on getting the home visit done ASAP so you have have things in place when he comes home. I believe (don’t know) that Medicare should cover some amount of OT therapy visits.

My 2 cents :slight_smile:

Oh, and be prepared for some of the, IMO, silly things that Medicare/private pay won’t cover in terms of assistive living “tools”. Made my head hurt sometimes.

Hope your FIL has a successful transition home.

2 Likes

Ditto OT although I wound up with several different institutions handling my case and you may not be able to get anyone in before he comes home. It’s going to depend on what your father is able to do what you need to get, for example he may have difficulty with the broken ribs and need taller seating so he slides off a chair rather than leaning forward and up. I have a bedside commode hovering over the regular commode that is set for my leg height so I can toilet myself. They tell me i need a reacher and if your father is immobilized in any way you might consider that. Tools to hold a book down if he reads paper books. I dropped things from my hospital bed and wasn’t able to reach them, using the call button and waiting up to 15 minutes just to get my glasses was trying to my patience and a waste of the staffs time. My DH says I won’t need a reacher that much longer so I am making do with long BBQ tongs of all things.

Open this conversation with the patient advocate at the hospital now to get the right people engaged before your FIL comes home.

I appreciate what you’re doing to make his transition easier but there will be things, without an OT background, that you won’t think of, won’t see or won’t know how to do safely.

Things like getting rid of area rugs; they are trip/fall hazards. You can always put them back later.

In areas that he may be likely to be walking after dark, get some motion activated night lights to light the flooring. Mine are inexpensive and go back off after like 60 or 90 seconds.

Tools like reachers and dressing sticks. Things, that if you’ve not been around a person with a disability (even temporary), you wouldn’t even know about. Sock aids. Long shoe horns. Lots of assistive dressing devices out there that you may not be aware of that an OT can suggest what would be appropriate.

It isn’t just about making his life ‘easier’ it’s making his life safer once he’s home. Small pets and children can be a fall risk. Things that abled people sometimes just don’t see (a 2" step down for you is non-existent, for him, a fall hazard.)

Thanks, everybody! We are talking to the hospital staff and he should have several days/week in a rehab center once he is discharged. He will be in a cervical collar and a sling for his shoulder blade. I was just curious about what you guys had come up with, just like ReSomething’s BBQ tongs!

1 Like

The BBQ tongs maybe from a hospital bed but I have reachers all over my home. They’re limited as to the weight they can pick up but the tip is also magnetized which is nice :slight_smile:

A good OT should have a full bag of tricks for what your FIL will need/find useful when he comes home. Is he going to a rehab hospital or skilled nursing facility? (I’m hoping rehab hospital as the therapy is more extensive but the stays usually shorter). Should be able to work with an OT there as therapy isn’t just the physical side but the “living” side.

I couldn’t go home until an OT from my rehab hospital did a home visit to ensure the home was workable and safe for me and how to solve any potential problems before I got home.

We might have “tricks” but we can’t see your FIL and we don’t know what his restrictions will be. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you are on the right track!

OP, did FIL ever come home? How is he getting along?

Spam reported.

Rebecca

1 Like