Unlimited access >

Inner ear problems

Anybody here have sudden inner ear problems? I have never had a problem but I woke up Monday morning feeling like I was on a four day drunk. I could barely keep my balance and the room was spinning. It was very scary but got better as the day progressed and I was outside working down at the barn. I decided it was not a good day to be running the chainsaw. Then it was back this morning but not as bad and I was able to manage it better. Unfortunately I had fallen off the chocolate wagon and overindulged in ice cream so I was also dealing with nausea from lactose intolerance and acid reflux besides dizziness. ( I threw the ice cream away and swore off ice cream).

I have had a bad sinus infection and I took a decongestant this morning and I think that helped. It is so strange because I have never had this problem and then BANG. I saw the exercise you can do but I haven’t tried it yet. I don’t think it is Covid. I am triple vaccinated and have not been around many people and always shop with my N95 mask. I do not have a fever and my sense of smell and taste is just fine. No cough or sore throat. Just dizzy when I wake up.

Yes. Both my Mom and I have sudden onset intermittent vertigo problems. Mine is related to Meniere’s Disease. I am much more likely to experience vertigo when I have bad sinus congestion/a sinus infection.

Medications that doctors have recommended and that (usually) help:

Meclizine (a medication for motion sickness)
Sudafed (the kind you have to get from the pharmacy counter)
Mucinex-D (the kind you have to get from the pharmacy counter)

I also take a prescription diuretic and my doctor said I could take a second pill if I’m having a dizzy day.

After a TBI I had horrendous vertigo. I’d try to get out of bed and fall backwards. Neurologist was no help. Finally a physical therapist suggested a series of postural maneuvers. (I think it’s called the Epley maneuver. You can find it online.) It was a little weird going through it (at one point my eyes were zipping back and forth) but it corrected the vertigo immediately. The maneuver resets the crystals in your inner ear that are related to balance.

I’ve had to do it on my own maybe once every couple of years since. I don’t know what triggers the problem, but I know how to fix it.
I know that when I am near the end of the movements my eyes will go wonky and I’ll be drenched in sweat. And I’ll need a nap afterward. But I won’t have any vertigo

Your issue may be unrelated to inner ear crystals, but trying this is noninvasive, cheap, and might fix the problem. Best of luck. Vertigo is awful!

I’ve had lots of inner ear problems due to chronic sinus issues. As other have suggested, go with Sudafed. I find it works best with a dose of nsaids (Tylenol or Advil.)

Laying on a heating pad sometimes helps, as does using a saline sinus rinse. I’ve also had luck with clearing my ear by using nasal afrin (it can help open a swollen eustachian tube and relieving pressure in the inner ear.) Just don’t use afrin for multiple days. Another trick is once you’ve employed the meds, chew on something like a mentos or gummy bear to work the muscles around the jaw/ear.

How does it feel when you hold your nose and gently suck in or gently blow out? (Like super gently-less than the force of blowing your nose and about the same force as drinking through a straw.) Does it clear? Don’t use much force because you can blow an ear drum if you have a serious infection! (Don’t ask me how I know!)

And just like that…it was gone. I woke up this morning and the problem seems to be mostly gone. I don’t know if it was the decongestant or sleeping sitting up last night. I did google the Epley Maneuver but didn’t try it. My head has been really stopped up and I have had a sinus infection so I have no doubt that was the trigger. I did take a Sudafed and later some ibuprofen. I figured out lying down with my head flat made it worse so I slept sitting up. I am also going to get some Dramamine that has helped my friends with this problem.

I have never experienced anything like this, well maybe drinking too much in my college days, so it was pretty scary. Glad to know other people have experienced it and it can be remedied.

1 Like

This happens to my MIL. I don’t know of any real reason for it in her case. She is very healthy otherwise.