Unlimited access >

Insight into TB Pedigree

Posted earlier about a gap in my OTTB’s racing career and thought COTH’ers might know about some TBs on my guy’s pedigree (2005 Gelding ‘Special Bonus’). I know nobody on here except for Secretariat lmao. Would love any insight!

Not a pedigree analyst …

So interesting that due to your horse’s sire & dam both being born in the early 90’s, this pedigree really reaches back into racing pedigree history in just 4 generations. A lot of notables of their eras.

Also interesting that due to breeding patterns in the U.S. many of these notables show up in a LOT of pedigrees. For all of the many TB’s in the country, TB breeding seems to be fairly concentrated.

Personally I think that is a very cool pedigree just because of the cool names that I recognize scattered in the 3rd & 4th generations. Fun to look at. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

super interesting pedigree here! The sire, Bonus Money, was foaled in Great Britain but is very American-bred. Apparently his dam was shuttled back and forth to Green Dancer and foaled once in Ireland and the other time in England. Bonus Money is from the great distaff Calumet family of Reine-de-Course Plum Cake (http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/plum-cake.html) and by Chief’s Crown, and Intermediate/Solid Chefs-de-Race. Bonus Money won a minor stakes and was 3rd in the G1 Donn Handicap. He retired to stud in California and sort of faded away. Some ok runners but nothing spectacular.

Your gelding is one of his last recorded foals, being out of the Muttering mare Homeroom Mutter. Her family is mostly modest runners with some minor stakes runners.

Is that helpful/interesting?

3 Likes

Very interesting - I love learning about his history. Thank you :grin: