Unlimited access >

Installing horse fence

Would you consider 4 strand Polycote? I have v mesh in my paddocks with a hot top rail of Centuar. It’s great to keep out critters but the Polycote is wonderful in my bigger fields. Top and bottom are hot. No one gets near it. Nice visual barrier. Snap to repair.

I had 15 acres in 4 board fence at my old place. I’ll never go back.

1 Like

that’s how we do it too. I use my tractor, but, a come-along chained to a tree in just the right spot works for me in a wooded area where i can’t position my tractor. (I put a blanket between the chain and the treetrunk)
han
Also, i pull my wire fencing first and hold it then set my posts…but i use T-posts and a 2person driver. Or pound by hand if i’m alone (which, unfortunately, is the norm).

I have hired two brothers who have done the perimeter fencing and a lot of the cross-fencing here…they can pound through stone. The Mighty Hollanders (i even have a little song i sing about them-but they don’t know that). They’ve put in 6 miles of fencing for us all told. I prefer to hang the gates as they aren’t as good as i am about it. When you get to the gate-hanging part, i can help…

1 Like

I have Red Brand V mesh as perimeter fence. I don’t think I would have been able to install it myself. It is really heavy. The fence people I used were experienced but not with wire fence this heavy. They whined and whined installing it and it took them forever. They didn’t do a perfect job either.

I love it. When the tornado came through my pasture it took down big trees but most of the fence was still standing and the fence people were able to re-stretch it and did not have to replace any. which was good because my insurance company did not give me enough money to replace it. The people working on the fence hated it. It was a lot heavier and harder to work with than regular field fence. There again - I would not have been able to do the repairs myself. But I like that it stands up to a bad storm without losing my fence.

1 Like

there is quite a bit of V Mesh on several properties around us that was installed in the 1950s and 60s… the fence is still in great condition

Our V Mesh was installed in 1993 still no problems with the fence however several post have been replaced

1 Like