Unlimited access >

Insurance for pony being used in lesson program

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice. I have a wonderful hunter/jumper pony, age 16. I recently moved him to a new farm. The farm is amazing and the care is top-notch. My pony was used in his younger years as a lesson pony. The trainer at our new barn was his original trainer. She knows him very well. Our trainer is very reputable and carries her own liability insurance. All riders must sign waivers and there are multiple signs on property starting the risks of equestrian activities. Our pony has been semi-retired for the last 5 years. Upon moving to the new barn, I put him back into training for 60 days to help him get back into shape. He has been doing great. Our trainer expressed an interest in using him in 1-2 lead line/tack-up lessons per week for a reduction in board. I currently carry private horse owner’s liability insurance, but my insurance agent advised me that I need to upgrade my coverage to a commercial policy. I do not have a problem paying for the coverage, but our trainer thinks that the commercial policy wouldn’t be necessary. The insurance agent also told me that the trainer must add me as an “additional insured” on her policy. The insurance agent wants a signed agreement between the trainer and myself, and proof that the trainer added me to her policy. This is causing me a lot of stress. I am not looking to cause trouble, but I want to be appropriately covered in the event of any issues. I have been at other barns, and a different trainer (not my current trainer) frequently used privately owned horses in lessons and the horses were covered by her insurance. She did not add any of the owners to her policy as “additional insured”. Does anyone have any advice on this topic? I would greatly appreciate any input! Thank you for your help!

I don’t think there’s a charge to add additionally insured.

2 Likes

Don’t allow the Pony to be used by trainer for commercial purposes unless its covered. Trainer has no right to tell you your Pony does not need any additional coverage for her to use it to generate income for her.

ETA if you don’t think a kidlet can find a way to fall off a Pony in a simple walk trot or even leadline lesson? Guess again. And parent is always right there, kid always cries and they look for somebody or something to blame for kidlet getting scared.

Listen to the professional insurance agent here. You do not owe the trainer anything, especially something that could get you dragged into court if a kid shes teaching manages to come off,

3 Likes

Or heaven forbid, the pony gets hurt, then your out a pony.

1 Like

The insurance agent is knowledgeable about insurance. Your trainer…in theory, is not as knowledgeable about insurance. I think I’d trust the insurance agent.

5 Likes

Please please be careful. I just got a letter from my insurance company asking if an accident that I had after work could be workman’s comp. It just goes to show you even if everyone else finds you faultless it wouldn’t keep their medical/ homeowners policy from trying to collect from you .

1 Like

My advice is - don’t do it. It isn’t worth the potential law suit and the stress that goes with that, even with insurance, if someone gets injured

2 Likes

I had to pay a fee to add a farm owner’s name to my commercial liability policy, per their request, in order for me to freelance coach at their place. The farm owner thought it would be free but my company charged about $60.

If there’s money changing hands you need commercial coverage. Personal liability won’t act.

2 Likes

Anyone involved in commercial activities involving horses should be insured to do so. That’s standard practice. As a business owner that taught out of someone else’s facility for a long time, I had my own insurance, excess through USEF, and I was a named insured on the facilities policy. That is standard practice. Personally, it’s a big red flag for someone not to advocate you being covered and protected in the event of a fall/injury to a student, OR your horse. That alone would make me decline.

The liability is HUGE in this situation, and she could actually 1099 you for the discounted board (depending on your boarding contract), which will cost you $ out of pocket.

2 Likes

insurance for the Pony, if you live in a state where the ASPHA’s pet insurance is available their horse “pet” insurance coverage is expansive depending upon plan level nearly anything is covered

https://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/horse-insurance?prioritycode=PPC_Equine&campaign=i|Equine||&keyword=equine%20health%20insurance&matchtype=p&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwq4imBhBQEiwA9Nx1Bnq28_9SZVnXLWSnsoikYKkyQjEZk8-MGzNxiVhcpuLZaepDfazdnBoC10IQAvD_BwE

The thing is with most lawsuits, everyone is named initially and then eventually people may be dropped. In the meantime, you could chalk up $$ in legal fees. There is no harm getting yourself covered. Listen to your agent. As far as kids in leadline lessons… years ago i was at a show and for some reason the organizers opted to have the leadline class in a grass ring. Needless to say kids were dropping like flies.Those ponies were very quick in nosediving for grass and youngters just slide right down the ponies necks. All soft landings, no injuries.

2 Likes

Is it wrong that this made me laugh?

2 Likes

I was trying pretty hard not to laugh when it was happenng,

1 Like