Insurance?

So I’ve always know that if I wasn’t in school, after I turned 21 I would be kicked off my dad’s (retired military) insurance. I am in school though, so I figured I was good after I turned 21. Well, today I went to go pick up a prescription refill, and they wanted $87 instead of the usual $8! I bought the prescription, thinking I just need to send in my transcripts or something to TRICARE and everything will be okay.

Turns out, you have to be a full time student (not part time) to be able to stay on your parents insurance! I don’t feel comfortable being un-insured as a college equestrian, who already has a lot of problems with multiple things that doctors can’t figure out. Not to mention my horse is a spooky green bean.

Does anyone have any insurance suggestions that won’t break the bank for a college student? I would really feel a lot more comfortable being covered than not. So any suggestions of a company would be awesome.

First of all, you should be eligible to stay on your parents’ insurance until age 26, unless the fact that he’s retired military means you can’t.

Next, go to your school’s admissions or dean of students, or clinic, if they have one, and ask there. I always was able to buy basic coverage through the school’s group policy. That was 25 years ago, though.

Depending on which state you live in, and whether it is fighting the Affordable Care Act, it it about to become much easier for you to get coverage. I just read about some efforts to inform people about enrolling. I wish I could give you more detailed info or at least a website, but at least head in that direction.

Good luck!

ETA. http://finder.healthcare.gov/

[QUOTE=Belmont;6955388]
So I’ve always know that if I wasn’t in school, after I turned 21 I would be kicked off my dad’s (retired military) insurance. I am in school though, so I figured I was good after I turned 21. Well, today I went to go pick up a prescription refill, and they wanted $87 instead of the usual $8! I bought the prescription, thinking I just need to send in my transcripts or something to TRICARE and everything will be okay.

Turns out, you have to be a full time student (not part time) to be able to stay on your parents insurance! I don’t feel comfortable being un-insured as a college equestrian, who already has a lot of problems with multiple things that doctors can’t figure out. Not to mention my horse is a spooky green bean.

Does anyone have any insurance suggestions that won’t break the bank for a college student? I would really feel a lot more comfortable being covered than not. So any suggestions of a company would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

My oldest is 23. I had to drop her from my insurance when she turned 18 because she was not in college after high school. Then they changed the law and upped the age to 26 and I believe, dropped the college requirement. I was easily able to add her back onto my insurance plan. She is still not in college and has never had a problem with the insurance paying the hospital or clinic. I do work for the DOD, but am not under tricare, just the regular health insurance. I would double check and see if you cannot be covered under some other federal program for retirees families.
Also, the law only covers healthcare, not dental, so I was not able to add her back into my dental plan.