Unlimited access >

"Interesting" weekend at the barn... (aka my horse has many talents)

I guess it all started when my trainer moved her mini from another barn back to our barn. A horse recently purchased from Idaho (bear country) freaked when she saw him. With his winter coat he could easily resemble a bear! The horse made a valiant effort to escape horse eating mini and jumped out of the pasture… Well she really busted through the top rail but there are no injuries so we can laugh about it now. My trainer remarked that her behavior was very Jade-like with one exception - Jade would have cleared the fence!

Then I arrive at the barn later than usual. Apparently Jade was impatient and decided to tack herself up! Her stall is right next to the cross ties where we have a box of splint boots hanging. She managed to stick her nose through the bars and pull a splint boot into her stall! The best part was she can obviously read, as she pulled in her own boots with her name on them! LOL!

The fun doesn’t end there because Jade got the hiccups! It was hysterical! I didn’t even think horses COULD get the hiccups!

So another adventurous weekend at the barn came to a close and my horse proved once again that they are smarter and funnier than people think!

No Coreene, that it MY mini!!! Hehe

He wants to keep Chase company and stop scaring all of Cris’ horses.

I saw the incredible jump out of the pasture and it was amazing. Despite the fact that the horse didn’t clear the fence, it being quite up hill to the obstacle, she did however land on cement without even a slip as she swerved to avoid the car parked a few feet away, and continued to run willy-nilly all over the place. Poor thing was scared to bits!

Bowed tendon: 33 days down, minimum 27 days to go.

That mini is too cute! Quite a while ago I moved my old horse, Jake, to another barn. When I got there, I started leading him towards his new home. All of a sudden, he saw their mini, and freaked out! I got the most awful rope burn, and he went tearing off, running all over the property.

Luckily Miss Cypress does not care about these types of things, because there were minis next to us at Indio. They are the minis that are with Fairview Farms, and they are sooooo cute! For exercise, they were leading them behind the golf cart! We were all trying to convince my friend (the barn owner) to buy a mini. The next week she bought a mini, but not a mini horse…a mini burro!!! It is so cute!

visit www.victorianfarms.com

Omg! How old is that girl riding the mini? Tooooo cute!

~Erin B #1
Politically incorrect at all times. (PIAAT)

Well I suppose if I want to combine the interesting happenings of this weekend with those of the weekend before…

A trainer at the horse show we went to that shall remain nameless (though Justice knows him quite well )brought GOATS to the horse show. Now if this was a GOAT show -I could understand… but I double-checked the premium and it was indeed a HORSE show.

Of course they are stabled across from us and Jade is freaked. Remember the story of her having to spen the nights in our old arena so she could get used to the petting zoo next door? And how we still never her cured her of her fear?

They continually “baa baa’ed” all day long. It was so annoying!

Though Jade was excellent at the show and I am convinced it was because she thought if she behaved, we wouldn’t make her go back to her stall and have to listen to the awful goats.

I guess it all started when my trainer moved her mini from another barn back to our barn. A horse recently purchased from Idaho (bear country) freaked when she saw him. With his winter coat he could easily resemble a bear! The horse made a valiant effort to escape horse eating mini and jumped out of the pasture… Well she really busted through the top rail but there are no injuries so we can laugh about it now. My trainer remarked that her behavior was very Jade-like with one exception - Jade would have cleared the fence!

Then I arrive at the barn later than usual. Apparently Jade was impatient and decided to tack herself up! Her stall is right next to the cross ties where we have a box of splint boots hanging. She managed to stick her nose through the bars and pull a splint boot into her stall! The best part was she can obviously read, as she pulled in her own boots with her name on them! LOL!

The fun doesn’t end there because Jade got the hiccups! It was hysterical! I didn’t even think horses COULD get the hiccups!

So another adventurous weekend at the barn came to a close and my horse proved once again that they are smarter and funnier than people think!

Willem would love him as a birthday present. This means you can have him through July, as his lordship turns 20 on 8/3.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chef:

A trainer at the horse show we went to that shall remain nameless (though Justice knows him quite well )brought GOATS to the horse show. Now if this was a GOAT show -I could understand… but I double-checked the premium and it was indeed a HORSE show.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There used to be goats at the barn where I rode. They would eat anything they could get their mouths on–halters, blankets, bridles, the lesson schedule. I was very worried when one day they started nosing around my car One morning I was feeding and they jumped into the grain bin! Evil, evil creatures. The horses never seemed to mind them though, unless they tried to headbutt them

I miss you!!!

Why am I here in Utah?

Why am I at this office?

Why???

One of my old barns used to have Pygmy Goats. They were precious.

“Poets have been mysteriously quiet on the subject of cheese.”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
I miss you!!!

Why am I here in Utah?

Why am I at this office?

Why??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you must prostitute yourself to pay for your addiction. Duh!

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

here is a note from Eleanor Kellon (DVM) from the horsescience list:

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

About all I can tell you about two kinds of thumps is that there are
some horses that will thump without being in any obvious distress
otherwise, including good vet checks. “Something” irritating the
phrenic nerve is a possibility but as far as I know what that might
be, and if it is any different from electrolyte related thumps, I
don’t think anyone knows. I’m inclined to think it still is probably
related to an electrolyte imbalance and just represents an individual
variation in sensitivity to that particular manifestation. For
example, you can feed a diet with the same low level of magnesium to
a number of horses and some will show no symptoms at all, some will
get very irritable and sensitive to touch/sound, some will have
muscular symptoms. Have to agree though the hiccoughs together with
thumps is suspicious of some type of possibly mechanical irritation.
Interesting.

As for why some rides and not others though that could be explained
by different rates of sweating, differences in food, water and
electrolyte intake.

Eleanor

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always,
FairWeather
"Just call me mint jelly cuz i’m on the lamb!–Grandpa
http://www.fairweather-farm.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I didn’t even think horses COULD get the hiccups! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do, and they are called the thumps!

There’s no place like first place.

The goats. I am laughing my butt off picturing the goats at the show. The one thing that can make Justice a real wild child is a pack of goats running around. . .with bells on (okay - he doesn’t like sheep with bells either).

Well, at least Miss Jade was a good girl. Maybe the goats kept her up all night and she couldn’t sleep?

Her little brother is a chilly boy right now. It is about 15 degrees. Poor Justice. Looks like we will be making our Michigan horse show debut in about July when the snow melts. On the upside, hopefully the shows will be goat-free!