Unlimited access >

Interior barn stall front stain. Help needed!

We are building a new farm and as with everything, I have surfed the COTH boards for info. I am looking for help with stain colors for the interior. I have gone with the “cedar” color before and all I see is orange when I look at that. Now I can start from scratch.

Here is the set up: 40/60 building, first bay on each side is a groom area, then three stall fonts on the right and on the other side of aisle 24 foot tack room. 10 foot white metal ceiling. The stall fronts are galvanized. Can anyone share good colors from companies that they have liked? Something is pulling me to a blue gray semi transparent. But could I do the tack room exterior wall in a different color? Thanks for all your help. I promise to post pictures when it is done!

The exterior is gray metal with white trim.

Sounds pretty. Where is the wood you are staining? You say the stall fronts are galvanized so the only wood is lining the stalls, is that correct? I think the blue gray would be pretty. I would worry that manure stains and dirt would show up against that color, more than a wood-colored brown, but if your horses are not in the stalls all the time that might not be such a problem. Another idea is a grey full-body stain. There are two things I like about this color, which can range from a bluish to a taupe. The first is that it reminds me of weathered seaside cottages with cedar siding and white trim. The second is that the color doesn’t have to be updated often, only the trims, because the wood fades naturally towards a grey range of colors and the stain coordinates with that.

Three colors jump out in my imagination when I think of your color scheme of blue gray and galvanized metal, thinking of the tack room wall.

-Barn red. That would be a punch of color and would look good with a blue grey. If you are entertaining in the barn, it would be easy to add wreaths and decor to get a Christmas look in the winter. In the summer, those big metal wall ornament stars, flags or fabric hangings with red and white stripes would give an Independence Day Theme. The pale gray blue, instead of a deep blue, goes well with a faded vintage-themed decor.

-Yellow. This is unconventional for a barn, but I love the look of yellow and gray, yellow and blue, and therefore, yellow and gray blue. It might make you happy in the middle of a New England winter. The only problem is that it is easy to go wrong with yellow – make sure it is a shade less intense than the color chip because it can look amateurish if it is too bright. For example, this is fun in the photo but in real life and on a large wall it would be too bright and too green for me. But it gives an idea:
http://adesignstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Yellow-Barn-Door.jpg
Here’s another one which shows a larger block of yellow because there are double doors in the photo:
http://1925workbench.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/yellow_Z_door_bypass_02.jpg

-White. Crisp, clean, and barn-like. A good backdrop for pretty hardware.

At the end of the day, it’s just paint.

[QUOTE=PeteyPie;8901937]
Sounds pretty. Where is the wood you are staining? You say the stall fronts are galvanized so the only wood is lining the stalls, is that correct? I think the blue gray would be pretty. I would worry that manure stains and dirt would show up against that color, more than a wood-colored brown, but if your horses are not in the stalls all the time that might not be such a problem. Another idea is a grey full-body stain. There are two things I like about this color, which can range from a bluish to a taupe. The first is that it reminds me of weathered seaside cottages with cedar siding and white trim. The second is that the color doesn’t have to be updated often, only the trims, because the wood fades naturally towards a grey range of colors and the stain coordinates with that.

Three colors jump out in my imagination when I think of your color scheme of blue gray and galvanized metal, thinking of the tack room wall.

-Barn red. That would be a punch of color and would look good with a blue grey. If you are entertaining in the barn, it would be easy to add wreaths and decor to get a Christmas look in the winter. In the summer, those big metal wall ornament stars, flags or fabric hangings with red and white stripes would give an Independence Day Theme. The pale gray blue, instead of a deep blue, goes well with a faded vintage-themed decor.

-Yellow. This is unconventional for a barn, but I love the look of yellow and gray, yellow and blue, and therefore, yellow and gray blue. It might make you happy in the middle of a New England winter. The only problem is that it is easy to go wrong with yellow – make sure it is a shade less intense than the color chip because it can look amateurish if it is too bright. For example, this is fun in the photo but in real life and on a large wall it would be too bright and too green for me. But it gives an idea:
http://adesignstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Yellow-Barn-Door.jpg
Here’s another one which shows a larger block of yellow because there are double doors in the photo:
http://1925workbench.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/yellow_Z_door_bypass_02.jpg

-White. Crisp, clean, and barn-like. A good backdrop for pretty hardware.

At the end of the day, it’s just paint.[/QUOTE]

OMG genius. I love red and yellow and seaside themes. There is wood in the stall fronts but the framing is galvanized. Barn is starting the second week of November which means Thanksgiving in builder lingo. I am so indebted to to the BB because it is an encyclopedia of all things farm, horses and riding. Thank you PP!

[QUOTE=FreshAir;8901999]
OMG genius. I love red and yellow and seaside themes. There is wood in the stall fronts but the framing is galvanized. Barn is starting the second week of November which means Thanksgiving in builder lingo. I am so indebted to to the BB because it is an encyclopedia of all things farm, horses and riding. Thank you PP![/QUOTE]

That’s funny, I wasn’t envisioning red AND yellow together with the grey blue, rather red OR yellow. But you are right, they could look great together.

I have looked on houzz.com and google and boy is it hard to find photos of barn interiors which are any color other than a wood tone or white.

Are your stall doors something like this?
http://www.okcorralandstalls.com/products/stallFront_016.jpg

We used Sherwin Williams, Color is Hickory.
My only caution is since this is in a barn, there will be dust, so try to pick a color that dust won’t be obvious on it that is even possible. The color we used does show dust and the grooves in the T&G are a dust collection point.

I like the sound of the blue gray semi transparent.

I think blue-gray would be refreshingly different.

for me, interior barn color is a balance between being bright and hiding dirt/dust/poop.

I like classic stain on stall fronts, but prefer something lighter, so the barn doesn’t look dim at night or with doors closed. I can’t abide a dark barn. For stall interiors, again, it’s a balance but I want something dark enough to hide dust and manure stains. My plan for when we repaint stalls next year is a tan/beige wall color about 3.5’ high and crisp white from there up the ceiling. I think you could do the same thing only with a darker gray that coordinates with the stall front color. That could look really stunning.

(I hate barn red – I think it’s too ‘country’ for my style. But I have seen weathered barn red on exteriors that looks nice. I wouldn’t use in on an interior, as I think it would be too dark)